64663 36V 400 Watt Ele II - Overdriven by 10 cells

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
great stuff there, i tried out mine with the 400 watt globe just using 8 IMR's it lit up super bright for 10 secs and then yellowed out, so i have gone back to the osram 24volt 50 watter and its amazing. am using a 40 volt switch by AW specially made for this so i am well in the clear.

Whats the " 24volt 50 watter" lamp No?

Cheers

Metatron

Banned
Whats the " 24volt 50 watter" lamp No?

Cheers
64445U

BC2632_fs.jpg

Metatron

Banned
given i only have 28.8 volts to play with i tried a 24 volt globe. yes, overdriven, probably well over 850L but the beam and hotspot from that vertical element is great. 50 hour life is fine as a show and tell flashlight.

P1010330.jpg

this is on AW's lowest setting just to show the beam, on the highest setting it just gets too bright for me at that distance.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
OK, Kewl! No doubt it overdrives above 1,000 at your voltage, and I did notice that axial filament. It similarly gives a much nice beam to the 64625 (vs. 64623) and the Osram "Cadillac" IRC bulbs use that style also. :thumbsup:

sylathnie

Enlightened
I have looked long and hard for a high wattage axial filament. My old 64633 light is now sporting a 64440 because of the great hotspot that is produced by the axial filament.

Anyone know where I can get one that can take 42V?

mrQQ

Enlightened
Metatron, how much did special AW switch cost you? I almost have everything I need to put that bulb into Ele II, all I'm missing is a switch which can hold the voltage and current, and not fry the bulb immediatelly..

sylathnie

Enlightened
It looks as good as new. I haven't done any runs longer than 10 minutes but I have done alot of them at this point. The coating seems to be holding up well.

mrQQ

Enlightened
I need to find a easy way to widen the reflector opening on my FM3V-2. I frankly have no idea how to deal with sensitive material as coating. Is it even possible? What tools should I use..

sylathnie

Enlightened
I utilized a double fluted titanium step bit with a slight bit of silicon lubrication. I took it very very slow and was very careful in the removal of metal shavings. (Think drilling upside down so the shavings fall away from the reflector). I'm pretty sure I was lucky and I don't know if I would suggest the method to others.

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
Going to run one of these with 8 AW protected 18650's for an hour run time. Will also used AW's soft start in an elle II. w/ a FM3V-2. I think this will be a very usefull light. Any other recomended bulbs with the protected 18650's for around a half hour run time?

sylathnie

Enlightened
Are you intending to run the 64663 on protected cells? :confused: It looks like the AW cells will only allow about 5A before the protection circuit trips. This bulb draws about 13 to 14A on ten cells. I'm also not sure that AWs soft start is rated for 400W at this point. (Although it might work for a very very short while :poof:)
Just trying to clarify a bit so you don't spend money on something that won't work for you. :thumbsup:

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
Are you intending to run the 64663 on protected cells? :confused: It looks like the AW cells will only allow about 5A before the protection circuit trips. This bulb draws about 13 to 14A on ten cells. I'm also not sure that AWs soft start is rated for 400W at this point. (Although it might work for a very very short while :poof:)
Just trying to clarify a bit so you don't spend money on something that won't work for you. :thumbsup:

Nope smaller bulb 24 volt 50 watt....64445U Metatron show this lamp above...looking for around an hour run time.

mrQQ

Enlightened
Not sure where to post this, but i'll post it here.

While waiting for parts for my 400w Ele attempt to arrive, I tried my cheap DX light meter with lights I have - starting with 600 lux @ 1m keychain AA, ending with.. 145000 lux @ 1m EleII 8S IMR18650 250W Osram monster.. :) I forgot how insanely bright that light is with freshly charged batteries! Lighting it up in a small bathroom @ ceiling almost blinds you without even looking at hotspot!

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm using a IRF1404 mosfet for the switch. (It came as part of the Ryobi pack that I harvested the cells from). I don't experience any problems in benchtesting the switch at up to 50 volts and 15 amps so I don't expect to have any problems with the light.

The battery sees about 41 Volts initially and that tapers of fairly quickly. According to my measurements I'm pulling about 13.3 amps off the pack. The cells don't seem to get warm at all.

... :thumbsup:

Is the mosfet on any kind of heatsink? Does it get warm at all?? What gate voltage are you using?

That's the same mosfet that we're using in the DropInPHD Programmable Hotwire Regulator...

sylathnie

Enlightened
No heatsink. Not at all since it is either on or off. It's getting the full pack voltage. The inductive kick on shutdown I've heard mention of doesn't seem to bother it.

In another unrelated test I determined that at about 45 V it starts "leaking" and I start to see >5V on the drain even with no connection to the gate terminal.

I've actually made a few of this same switch to use in a variety of lights and it has served me very well.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
No heatsink. Not at all since it is either on or off. It's getting the full pack voltage. The inductive kick on shutdown I've heard mention of doesn't seem to bother it.

In another unrelated test I determined that at about 45 V it starts "leaking" and I start to see >5V on the drain even with no connection to the gate terminal.

I've actually made a few of this same switch to use in a variety of lights and it has served me very well.

Nice setup. Those FETs work quite nicely.

This MOSFET is rated at 40V and has a zener type breakdown at some point above that. That sounds like your 45V leakage.

I would not leave the gate floating. I would put a resistor pulling it to the source, or to somewhere safe since it can float and punch through the gate insulation easily.

How are you protecting the gate? I don't think the gate can stand 40V, they're usually rated at 20V or so. I haven't checked the specs on this one recently as we're only driving it with 5V. 10V would be better.