• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired 6x17670 Chrome 2.5D M*g

pete7226

Enlightened
i think it was due to most not being familiar with this setup, the bulb isn't regularly used here on new builds, and the lack of detailed specs, specifically output, in the original post might have led most to not give it a second look. Your maxim 623 build has only sold 2 in 5 months, on pace with with this build. Although clearly the 623 is a popular and great build. I personally think individual finances have more to do with the sales success of these builds than anything else. Just my opinion. I still hope you'll reconsider:poke:

This is my favorite FM build. If I had to have only one powerful light, it would be this one. The reasons are ergonomics, portability, extreme brightness, reliability and moderate cost.

Ergonomics and portability. The problem with most powerful lights is that they are too big and heavy. This light is about a 2 1/2 D, which is fairly big, but not prohibitive. The ergonomics of Mags are quite good and not having a tail switch is a major positive feature. Also, on these particular lights, the knurling is excellent--very grippy without being too sharp.

Brightness. Using the Hikari bulb you get about 3800 lumens. Not the brightest bulb in the drawer, but it beats the hell out of my Surefire E2E. This is a great bulb AND it costs between 90 cents and $2.00, depending on where you buy it. You can also set this light up with one of the s/p battery holders, producing approx 8 volts. With that setup you can power either an ROP lo or high. If you use the high, you get about an hour runtime. Finally, since its a Mag, you can use a 3 in head on it if you choose. Throw is pretty impressive.

Reliability and Cost. The light costs $170, less than a fancy Surefire, except that the FM light has two to five times the power. For another $40, you can reconfigure the light for different bulbs. If you want to spend more money, you can buy one of the two larger heads. As for reliability, I have found all of the FM Mags to be at least as reliable as the oem.

An added feature on this particular light is that the finning on the heads is particularly nice and the finish is a very durable chrome.

donn_

Flashaholic
I'm a big fan of FM's chrome lights, and this one is the core of my collection, for the same reasons Bill listed, especially portability and flexibility.

My biggest problem is deciding which head to use.

IMGP2923.jpg

IMGP2924.jpg

I'd like to see a 6 or 7 D tube in chrome, so I could fill it up with higher capacity cells, and one of AlanB's regulators.

Iliger

Newly Enlightened
This is my favorite FM build.
I agree. I'm using it with AW softstarter, 2.5 TM head and 64432 IRC 35W bulb:
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/bulbs/64432-IRC-35W.jpg
80 cycles have passed, everything works well though the pressure for the batteries is more than 2C. The bulb is still alive. :)
I prefer the axial bulbs, so I tried this cheap bulb:
http://www.newark.com/philips/40210350/lamp-capsule-g4-12v-20w/dp/25M3479
It works well. I modified the stock switch with Kiu socket - the both setups work well also.