7 day rotation - updated - how many days in a row can you carry a different light?

scout24

Flashaholic
Re: 7 day rotation

Day 4! This light was a gift from Run4jc, the Sofirn C01s. I hadn't paid any attention to AAA lights since the E01 went away, and that was a mistake. It's a nice light that I'll order a few more of. Awesome runtime on low, stellar beam shape from the optic, high cri, good tint, and tailstands like a champ. All for less than $10.00. Durability will be an ongoing test, I'm not sacrificing one to destruction as I did the E01's back in the day. So, this should work well as a primary carry light today, 100lm on high and a nice low level to save battery. Thanks, Dan!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great thread Dan!! I will have to post up a 7 light pic, and carry the 7 lights in order. :)

Awesome, Brandon! Looking forward to it. Meanwhile, it's day 5. I wrote an 'ode' to this light here. Another special light. This is the light known as the "Panda", in this case specifically a raised switch, naked stainless bezel and tail, rotary, with a Luminus SST20, aka SS40. It's one chunk of a light. As Scout24 mentioned, one that you can count on for sure. Always enjoy carrying this one when wearing jeans...with dress pants or even some shorts, it feels pretty heavy in the pocket. Weighs 4.2 ounces, or over a quarter of a pound, but that's okay. It reminds you that it's " The light that gets you home."

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, it's day 6. Not a lot of participation in this activity, but that's okay. It has been good for me because it has caused me to carry some real jewels that haven't been used enough lately. Today's carry is just such a light - the gorgeous titanium Okluma DC0. I was fortunate to be allowed to participate in the initial drop of these lights back in May of last year. Jeff took to heart customer feedback and there were few things that I wanted to change. I did send it back to him in November for an upgrade to guppydrv and a softer tail switch. It made the light darn near perfect. I had carried the light for 30 days solid - nothing else - and rarely did it leave me wanting. Guppydrv answered my desire for different levels and even boosted the top output. Scout24 carried it for a while, too, and he loved it. With all the carry - in my pocket with keys and change - there's nary a mark on the beautiful matte titanium finish.

The optic/lens turns the gorgeous Nichia 4000k beam into an almost floody beam, but still has enough throw. I am hopeful of picking up the new aluminum version with a reflector.

If you get a chance to pick one up new or used, go for it. Awesome light with the best customer service in the business.

scout24

Flashaholic

Alrighty, Day 5 it is. Time for a 15 lumen flamethrower? Nah... :thinking: :devil: Tana modded SF Elite head, three XPL-HI 5000k with the H17f driver. Just looks like a sleeper... 2 way clip for bezel-down carry, McClicky switch to handle the current possible with H17f. Small, light, and more than bright enough for today. :)

20200917_102410 by 20200917_102430 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

nbp

Flashaholic

That DC0 is one lovely little light. Wish I had the scratch for it when those had come up for sale. I will have to put it on my mental list of things to try one of these days. Great lights guys! I think my previously shown HDS has been in my pocket the last few days for work so it hasn't been much of a "rotation" haha.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm enjoying this thread, although my rotation is much simpler. I rely on two main lights.

The first is a HDS Rotary F89HG sporting a sw45k Nichia. Absolutely love this emitter. A creamy, 4500k, 95CRI beam that looks great in the AM, at noon, and in the middle of the night. One of my favorite features is the locator flash, which I toggle on and off: on at night to help me locate it on the nightstand, off during the day. My wife hates the flash, which she calls the "disco strobe," so I try to keep it bezel down. Otherwise, she tries to turn it off by furiously clicking a bazillion times. I told her that the deactivation sequence is encrypted... :devil: If we're being honest, I must admit that the F89HG is a hefty girl at 3.6 oz. So she often stays home. I know, I know. Sacrilege! However, this usually isn't a problem because...

I always carry my trusty PFlexPro Convoy S2+ in my EDC backpack. Love this light. Also a little hefty at 4.4 oz, but shorter than many 18650 lights. Favorite features are the 18650 mah, the reverse clicky, and the illuminated tail switch which makes it super easy to ID in the bag. The emitter is a XP-L HI 5200K. Looks fine in normal use, but its flaws jump off the white wall when I cross its beam with the F89HG. You're right, the light needs an emitter swap. I'm clinging to a shred of hope that Randy will return like Lazarus "from his large contract order" and permit me an emitter swap. Often use this light to navigate through and out of my office after the building lights auto turn off around 1930. Obviously the UI isn't as good as the rotary, but the h17f is fully programmable and provides immediate access to a special mode via a double click.

1TscMge.png

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like them all. Takes hard work for the money. BK Aviator stands out, not easy to get. That Valiant Concepts head, tho, with that Aleph body and tail. Love it. Chin hanging. Drool dripping.

archimedes

Flashaholic

The A2 is HA not BK, although the photo filter makes it look so.

It does have a custom @calipsoii ring, however.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll have to get a picture of my rotation.

McGizmo Haiku with XPG-2 4000K LE from DatiLED, one of my favorites.
HDS 4000K XPL Rotary (love the tint and wide beam on this one).
Recently acquired Okluma DC1 (Ti) with a 5000K LE with Dragon driver (not sure of the LED's but a very nice tint).
McGizmo 2x123 with Sundrop XRU.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Day 7. This little exercise has been fun. Someone mentioned doing a "what I don't carry" post, and I may do just that. Problem is, they are scattered all over the house and the pickup, 2 cars, and 1 motorcycle that my wife and I have. I digress.

For the last day, a TRUE classic - the McGizmo PD. This one is aluminum with a ti bezel ring. The trit in the tail is completely 'dead.' I would LOVE to know how many owners this light has had in its 14 (?) year existence.

For all the years, owners, hands and pockets, this old light looks pretty darn good. It came to me with a Seoul emitter. I loved the tint - that creamy white - but my good friend Scout24 suggested it might benefit from the expert hands of datiLED for some upgrades.

So off it went. I asked for a Nichia 219B SW40, but Derek suggested the Samsung LH351D in 4000k. His exact words, "I would like to point you to the 4000K Samsung LH351D. It has a CRI of 92+, and no odd tints. It is my favorite LED for mods at this time."

Having worked with him more times than I can remember, I trust Derek completely and agreed. And he bumped the current up to 750mA.

The result? A beautiful tint and beam/shape, with no tint shifting. I still think I prefer the Nichia SW40, but I have several of those and this Samsung is darn close and perhaps a bit more efficient. And the light functions perfectly - whether using the tail button or twisting. It sips batteries. It almost disappears in the pocket - so light weight. I measure just under 200 lumen on high in my home made sphere. By today's standards, that's not much. But for everyday use, it's PLENTY. Frankly, the low gives all I need for most things.

It's been through many owners, but it's going to stay with me for quite a while.

scout24

Flashaholic

Classic McGizmo goodness right there, Dan! :twothumbs Day 6 here, and a light that doesn't get enough love here. 14500 isn't one of my faves, but I guess I now have three of those cells so I should carry it more. :) Micro Mag by KYFishguy. 5000k-ish XP-G3 Triple under a lightly diffused optic. Single 14500, 4 well spaced modes, and about as stealth as that Tana E1e earlier. Everyone knows the Mini-Mag, and has zero expectations when they see it. The workmanship on these is great, and if you haven't owned one I would highly suggest spending the time to track one down. There's a whole lot here for the money...

20200917_102658 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/

bykfixer

Flashaholic

2-A02-A8-C3-C21-B-418-E-B70-E-678769-A25720.jpg

Days 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 get the pair of PVD coated lights while the uncoated polished alluminum body gets weekend duty.
The PR-1 is a daily since June 2016, the PL-2's since August 2016.

Not shown is an Elzetta Bones with a speed clip, Elzetta wire lanyard ring and generic wrist strap.

When I work nights something throwey tags along like a zoomie or an E2 with a Tana module.

I tried a Klarus P1a for a while, an Elzetta Alpha, a Coast HP1 and a Pelican 2350 for a while. But when The PR-1 arrived that was it for them.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic

.... I asked for a Nichia 219B SW40, but Derek suggested the Samsung LH351D in 4000k. His exact words, "I would like to point you to the 4000K Samsung LH351D. It has a CRI of 92+, and no odd tints. It is my favorite LED for mods at this time."

I just received my first flashlight with the LH351D, a Frelux Synergy2, and wow was I impressed with this emitter too. Listed as a 5000K bin, mine looks far warmer than that to me, which is [emoji106]

Really nice quality of light. Not quite Optisolis level, but closer than I'd have guessed, and without all of the tradeoffs of the former.

.... Micro Mag by KYFishguy....

I thought about including mine in my photo above, but left it out since I rarely carry it. Too many lumens, lol ! But beautifully modded, as you rightly note.