7 day rotation - updated - how many days in a row can you carry a different light?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Day 19

Starting to get to the bottom of the barrel of the 'good' lights. Still enough to take this to 21 days, then I'm gonna stop. I'm missing my Haiku and my Panda.

Got this light back in 2015. Rarely used it. It lived in the console of my truck for a while, but I put a Zebralight in the truck and a Surefire in the car, so this one came in. It's actually a pretty nice and versatile light. Simple UI. Will run off just about anything with a range from 2.7 to 9V, although I've used nothing but 18650s since I got it.

The "Warm Light Premium Cree XP-L" is pretty, although it doesn't look as pretty next to a Nichia SW40 or SW35. It's longer than a Zebralight SC6x and the button is kinda mushy. Still, decent light and it'll serve me well today!

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Day 1

HDS 2AA Clicky

Nichia 219B 4000k

I get around 50 minutes on high with 2 eneloops. I absolutely love the 10 minute auto off on this one.

q4mKsn.jpg

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ Gorgeous light, Deicide!

Day 20

I ordered my first Zebralight back in January of 2010, and there have been Zebralights in my collection ever since. Never had one to fail. Cracked a lens on my SC62w - sent it back to them and they replaced it. Tortured an SC30 in September of 2011....didn't kill it, but dang it, I lost that light. Currently have 5 - SC62w, SC32w, SC52NW L2, H32w, and this SC64 LE. Bought all of them new from Zebralight. Have sold quite a few others, but these stick with me. The little SC52 is the oldest in this batch, acquired in January of 2014. Today's carry was acquired in January of 2019.

I doubt if you care about any of that, but thanks for reading along. This thread has turned into somewhat of a journal of the light 'journey'.

Today's carry is arguably one of those lights that could be your "only one." It's really small, yet is powered by an 18650 for long run time. Plenty bright - ZL rates it at over 800 lumen on high, yet has that great firefly mode that they rate at .05 lumen. Beautiful beam and warm tint on this one. The interface is programmable to a small degree, and once you learn it, you learn it, and it's easy. I should carry it more often. I'll enjoy carrying it today!

(Flick, my Maine Coon kitty, loves it, too.)

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Flick looks like he's having fun! You made me think: I have exactly zero Zebras at the moment! Not sure how that happened... Maybe after the brass Tool AAA shows up I'll have to peruse their website.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ Gotta love an HDS Clicky! Thanks for playing along, ~Deicide~!

This is my last day. This has been fun. I could keep it going, but I'm really hoping that others will jump in and keep this thread alive. If just 3 additional folks would jump in and commit to 7 days, we could all enjoy seeing all the different ways people use their tools and enjoy this hobby.

I have a bunch of 'cheap' lights...nah. Still have some Zebralights and 1 more McGizmo.... nah. Today we'll recognize a resident of my home state of Alabama. A man that has been supplying law enforcement, military, professionals, tradesmen, and enthusiasts with simple, reliable tools for a long time. A man that created a product to satisfy a personal need (if you haven't read his "about" section on his web site, you should).

Gene Malkoff. Gene and Cathy are wonderful folks, and their Malkoff Devices lights and accessories are amazing. I've owned more than I can count, but today I have only this one - the MD2 M61 HOT with a Tricap. Picked this one up on CPF and am glad I did. Built like a brick - not a pocket light by any stretch, but it has a great clip. High/low, great clicky switch, nice, white tint...just a simple, bright, useful tool. Fitting that I wrap up my time in this thread with this light.

Looks like a rocket....

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Everything proof with great runtime on high. Gotta love some 18650 Clicky goodness...

Dan- It's got a clip, you need bigger pockets is all... :D

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going for a day hike with a just in case I have to spend the night unexpectedly kit.

K1uRalNl.jpg

two lights
RRT-01 w triple 219b 3500k, loaded with 18350, plus a spare CR123
Tool AAA w LH351d 4500k, loaded w eneloop, plus a spare

two knives
two fire starters
two spare batteries

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really hoping that others will jump in and keep this thread alive. If just 3 additional folks would jump in and commit to 7 days, we could all enjoy seeing all the different ways people use their tools and enjoy this hobby.

Ok, I'm in. But it will be unconventional. Starting with yesterday's EDC, my BLF LT1.

I can hear you already: "WTF!$%#&? That's not an EDC!" But for me, yesterday, it was. Let me explain.

In the early AM, I had a work VTC using Skype. I used the LT1 for enhanced lighting, placed behind my desktop computer monitor. Ran her on high for about 45 minutes. No problems. The aluminum base is pretty hefty and heatsinks like a boss.

In the afternoon, I spent some time low crawling around my crawlspace, scouting some CAT 6 runs. I have regular incan light bulbs installed in the crawlspace, but about half of them are burnt out. I could have replaced them, but decided to use the LT1 instead. Sometimes hanging from the joists, sometimes floor standing. All of the time kicking a$$.

Spent the night last night in my hammock in the backyard amongst my pine trees, and the LT1 provided a perfect amount of soft, diffused, 4k luminosity. Same thing this morning as I had my breakfast at the recline, Shug-style. The Hi CRI Samsung LEDs are great, and I love the ramping. Another favorite Anduril feature is the candlemode for indoor (wife does NOT like camping) mood lighting :).

Mandatory accessories include my suspension lanyard with plastic clip and DIY carrying case, which I sewed myself.

Not as practical during the week when I'm at work, but around the house, this is my go to EDC. In fact, I must admit that I use this lantern more than all my other lights, except for my HDS F89HG.

6CQOeNL.png

sBkhjPt.png

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm gonna let this be my last post for a while. This was a cool experiment for me. YMMV. My preferences were pretty much known already, and this experiment confirmed them.

So today, after the experiment is 'over', I'm carrying a combination of 2 of my favorites - the head from the HDS with the NB40 (Nichia R9080 SW40) and the tail from the Panda. My favorite tint and tied for my favorite host.

In order, here are the top 5:

Aforementioned reconfigured Panda
Haiku with 4200k XP-L
Okluma DC1 with Nichia 219B R9080 SW35
Rotary with Luminus SST20
Tana Triple Haiku with 4500k Nichia R9080

Will probably rotate primarily the first two.

That is all....

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Day 4

I guess im gonna have to resist the temptation to carry another hds. Anyways..

Lumintop FW21 Pro

2pLot1.jpg

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Very uncomfortable in jeans. Only carry it when wearing cargo pants. I believe the head is around 1.5in in diameter.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Day 2. And I'm carrying my HDS F89HG 18650 Clicky. As I've mentioned several times, I love the sw45k emitter. So much so that I bought a backup. Actually, she was my first HDS sw45k. Back when I was strictly clicky only. And young and dumb...

I still remember the countdown to that special LED release. Jul 6, 2018, remember it like it was yesterday. I was young, geeky, and quite nervous.... and about to select the hottest LED in the HDS lineup. Would I make the cut? Could I pull it off? How many other CPF suiters were ahead of me in line? Spent what seemed like an eternity nervously pacing back and forth, waiting, hoping for an email from Henry to confirm the purchase. And lamenting the fact that HDS might be the only company left in the whole U S of A to lack website integration with inventory control.

Good news is that I didn't choke under the pressure and, two days later, successfully purchased the light in a 123 configuration!

Almost immediately, I regretted the decision. To go with another 123 battery compartment. Stupidly, I had bypassed the opportunity for essentially unlimited runtime and guilt free lumens. :banghead:

Some months later, however, I was lucky enough to purchase an original 219B 4000K (not the super high CRI, but rather the regular, long running version) 18650 clicky from Scout24. Only for the 18650 battery tube :). Mated the NB45 front end with the 18650 back end and never looked back.

Carried this light constantly for about a year but eventually bought a Rotary version (I guess I did look back), which is now my main EDC.

But still have really fond memories associated with this light and doubt I'll ever sell her. And really enjoyed the trip down memory lane using her today.

J1a8Crx.png

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
:grin2: I missed that light enough to recently re-purchase a Clicky 18650 tube and semi-retire one of my 123 bodies again. Shouldn't have sold it in the first place.

Decide- Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
High CRI Titanium Rotary with Tritiums and Sapphire lens:

O7DAhlJl.jpg

Last edited:

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Day 6

HDS Rotary 250lm xpg

At work so no picture today. To be honest I prefer the clicky for edc. I really like being able to replace the rubber boot easily.

Latest posts