9,000 Lumens Worth of Carley Bulbs

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
PJS,

A Carley 809 on 4x123 is no problem, although I've read that adding an AA makes it risky. A Carley 808 on 4x123 will flash often unless the batteries are pretty tired. I've used the WA01318 on 4x123+AA with no problem (so far).

Soloco,

Wow! Do you have any idea what the voltage under load is? I have no experience with CR2s. I would guess that their internal resistance is more than the 123 and that that's what makes it work without a disaster.

But in a 2D! That light must have a tremendous surprise factor. Thanks for telling us about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
soloco said:
01185 is being powered by 15 (that's right, FIFTEEN) CR2 lithium batteries in a 2D. I think it's the smallest/brightest flashlight I've ever seen. Of course, it requires a solid aluminum Carley reflector, and I can't leave it on for very long or the innards will probably melt. But it IS BRIGHT!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Soloco, you are the new king of insane incandescence! You cannot possibly be running those in series. I'm guessing three parallel strings of 5. Am I right?

BTW, your CL912 PR adaptors came in today so I'll get them out next Tuesday.

Wilkey

soloco

Enlightened
Yup! 3 strings of 5. With a skinny dowel just to stop some rattling. I've showed my wife and sister. Just about everyone has been shocked at the brightness in the small package. It's really amazing. I've just been shooting it around the house, so I'm really anxious to take it outside someplace really dark so I can check the throw.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehe,

Sounds like a lot of fun! Can't wait to see your mod pics. I will probably stay with the 4x123+1AA or 9xAA in a 3D body seeing as I've only got one 1185. Are you using the CL912 adapter or an epoxy-filled unit? Just watch that bulb pedestal. I seem to recall that after the reflector, that's the next point of heat induced failure.

Wilkey

You're insane! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

soloco

Enlightened
Yeah, I'm using the CL912 adapter. I haven't left it on very long. I already have one warped bulb pedestal from a run time test that probably shouldn't have been run from my MR16 mod.