A couple of questions from a novice

d88

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, after lurking for a few days I decided to join in the fun !

At the moment I only have my trusty Surefire A2 (incandescent), which I've had for the last 10+ years, a Inova 24/7 for the car (which keeps breaking ), a small Photon LED attached to my keys and not forgetting a 20 year old 2 cell Maglite, consigned to the bottom of a drawer somewhere. So as you can see, a very very modest if you can call it collection so far.

However with the dark and long Scottish winter approaching, I'm looking at adding a couple of LED torches (flashlights) to compliment what I already have.

I'd appreciate input and advice on a small keychain LED one cell CR123a light . The main criteria being it has dual setting's for low (around 5-15 lum) and a high ( around 50-90 lum). This will be used mainly for small up close work. The reason for the CR123a battery type, is that I have a stock of them for my Surefire and Inova, so it would make sense to keep to the same battery type.

Secondly, at the other end I need a torch that can reach out to 200 metres or more with a good spill rather than only a focussed beam. I have been looking ( or should I say drooling) at the Nightcore TM26, however would like to hear you guys opinion on whether it's suitable for sustained outdoor use in wet weather and if it's generally reliable.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

d88

Last edited:

Scourie

Enlightened
I'll be the first to make suggestions;

Keychain - FourSevens Atom.

Medium range - Niwalker BK-FA02. I have no experience with Nitecore but they are a decent brand.

Rob

d88

Newly Enlightened
I'll be the first to make suggestions;

Keychain - FourSevens Atom.

Medium range - Niwalker BK-FA02. I have no experience with Nitecore but they are a decent brand.

Rob

Thanks for the suggestions Rob. I'll check them out.

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second the FourSevens Atom AL for a CR123A keychain light. The TM26 is a fantastic light which has a great combination of flood + throw, while remaining relatively compact.

Peace Train

Enlightened
I wouldn't necessarily call any CR123 a key chain light, but the Olight S10 is one of my current favorite edc's. Seeing as how you mention the tm26, I'm pretty impressed with the eye40 (or eye40vn if you want to go the modded route) for throw/flood combo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PP-wDSYNTk

The TK75 is another great option to consider. And for smaller carry, you might want to check out the S200C2vn. I'd definitely go modded on this one, and Vinh sells them here on cpf.

Last edited:

BillSWPA

Enlightened
For the keychain, I would also consider the FourSevens Mini in CR123 size. While a bit larger than the Atom, it is a nicer light in my opinion. The Atom is not bad, and I have the A0 with red LED on my keychain as I type this, but the mini has a thicker O-ring, spring for the battery compartment, and a true reflector. If you get the Atom, make sure you lube the O-ring to keep it from breaking. Also, for keychain use, you may want to deactivate the magnet in the tail. Cleaning the tube inside and out when heating is complete will really help reliability.

For the larger light, FourSevens Quarks have very good throw. A Klarus XT2C will provide similar throw with more flood. While I have no firsthand experience with the Fenix PD35, they seem to be well regarded for really bright output.

Stanley Spadowski

Newly Enlightened
For the 200 meters without tunnel vision:

Maybe something like an MT-G2 light? Eagletac MX25L3?

Not speaking from personal experience, but from the beam shots and videos I've seen of it, it looks like it would suit your needs very well. I could of course be mistaken, but it should eat up 200 meters with a wall of light with no problem.

Cheers

Last edited:

d88

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, some great suggestions there. Looks like I'll be busy the next few days checking them all out. I appreciate the replies.:thumbsup:

Scourie

Enlightened
I'd also suggest quality 18650 batteries and charger. Hi powered lights will eat up cr123's rapidly.

Rob

d88

Newly Enlightened
I'd also suggest quality 18650 batteries and charger. Hi powered lights will eat up cr123's rapidly.

Rob

Thanks Rob, after looking around it would appear I'll definitely need to invest in 18650's and charger for the larger torch at least. I have a large stock of cr123's for my Surefire A2 anyway, so they can power the smaller one for now.

I suppose the next question is, can anyone recommend quality 18650's and charger ? The only criteria is that the 18650's must be protected and have a large button top, rather than flat top. (hope I have the terminology right ! ).

Thanks guys for your help.

d88

Scourie

Enlightened
The Xtar VP2 is a nice little charger with selectable charge currents, and a facility to act as a power bank to charge usb devices. As for batteries, look for Xtar, Efest, Nitecore or AW.

Avoid anything ending in fire, unless it begins with sure.

Rob