"a flashlight is a $2 thing...."

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: \"a flashlight is a $2 thing....\"

If all he cares about is that it works ask him to drop it and see if it still works. You could also ask at what distance and for what time period it works. Are you sure it will work when you need it. . .every time?

I'm surprised someone that demands the finest tools doesn't recognize the value of a good light and knife; both tools.

On the other hand "wasting your money" is of course your prerogative since it is in fact, "your money". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

-LT

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast

My dad lives across the US from me. I only have to hear it from my wife (read sig).

Jeff

MrBenchmark

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
GarageBoy said:
his toy budget for me...$0...he'll only buy things himself that he sees i need. oh well...

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it possible your Dad is trying to get you interested in his hobbies? I know my children's complete and total lack of interest in astronomy is a constant source of shock and disappointment to me. Why someone wouldn't want to stay up all night, in the dark, out in the middle of nowhere, in the cold, to look at objects you can just barely discern - really just faint fuzzy patches - is just beyond me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously, a lot of parent's have trouble figuring out that often kids are totally different than they were at that age, and this puzzles and frustrates them no end. Throw in the typical middle-age guy's ego (mine's just enormous) and you can begin to understand why he can't possibly imagine that any hobbies but his are remotely interesting.

So maybe he just wants to spend time with you and is frustrated that you don't share his interests. Just a thought. I don't know you or your Dad, but I've found that I have a lot better luck connecting with my sons by finding activities that we all like - often these wouldn't be my first choice of things to do. But hey, maybe if you show interest in your Dad's hobbies, he'll reciprocate.

(But possibly not - remember the middle-aged male ego I mentioned - it really is powerful!)

If all else fails maybe he'll believe you've become interested in electrical engineering or machining.

Best of luck GB!

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

oh come now car tools are different.
a $700 in car tools can save you $700 in the FIRST time you have to send in to be destroyed by the repair department.
how you gonna get that using your light to find the chage that dropped into the sofa /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
just wait till the sun comes out its FREE , and if it quits comming out, then were in bigger trouble than a flashlight will cure.

a flashlight is not really a 2$ thing, but a GOOD quality one shouldnt be a 250$ thing either. 50$ sounds like a good balance, unless you got 75 of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MrBenchmark

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
VidPro said:
a flashlight is not really a 2$ thing, but a GOOD quality one shouldnt be a 250$ thing either. 50$ sounds like a good balance, unless you got 75 of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If your application of a flashlight is to find change in the sofa, then a $2 light is probably not such a bad choice. If your life depends to some extent on the light, then $250 may not be too much. Someone who's caving, for example, is probably going to buy the best lights they can afford, and several of them too. Likewise, divers. If you use the light with a weapon, then paying a premium for one designed to be used in that way isn't ridiculous at all.

I do totally agree with you that $50 doesn't seem absurd at all for a high-quality mag mod, and that many simply outstanding lights can be had in that range, any of which I'd feel much better about relying on when the chips are down than a $2 home repair store special with depleted alkaline batteries.

The most expensive light I own, a SF L6, in theory does the same job as a $2 light. Except that the L6 is significantly brighter, smaller, lighter, and has far superior runtime. I can drop my L6 in the pocket of my cargo pants, and forget about it when I go hiking. If I don't budget my time well, and find I'm on the trail after dark, I know that I have a light that will get the job done. The $2 light, on the other hand, is bulky so I probably wouldn't just carry it with me. It lacks a lanyard, so if I drop it some places(highly probable - I'm a klutz) it's just gone. And I know the L6 is good for 2-2.5 hours, and I can easily carry spares for another five hours worth of runtime - I could do that with a $2 light, but the D cells are a lot bulkier.

BTW, I'm sure there are several other lights that would work about as well as the L6 that are less expensive - but I really like the L6 and don't regret getting one for a minute.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

In a more general context (not about this specific situation), I think people need to give others a little bit of respect about what they do as a hobby. After all, is life just about fighting to survive? Sure I do that often enough, but I'm very grateful to have enough spare time to step away from it, take a break and do something just for the fun of it. I'm not alone, many others do that too. Even though I'm not into the same things they are, I can respect their interest in it. I have colleagues into high-end hifi, although I use a set of $125 Altec Lansing computer speakers as my main setup, I don't say "what a big waste" to them. Or my other colleagues who sink tens of thousands of dollars into cars. I wouldn't, but I don't go round telling them "it's only a car".

The other thing that is helpful - throw down your OWN money on the light, money that you've earned. That way, nobody else has the right to talk. I enjoy the fact that it's my bank account, it's my Paypal account, and I'm going to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/paypal.gif if I want to and nobody else has the right to say anything because I am accountable to myself for my expenditure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UVvis

Enlightened

Everyone has dorky hobbies. Some of these hobbies are even useful outside their own little 'hobby world'. Flashlights are one that can be useful for everyone. Other hobbies are not so useful.

Besides, most people don't see the value of a good tool until after they have needed it, and used it.

Everyone likes to spend their funds differently. Like Kevin said. I personally have little use for a plasma TV, but often find myself in need for more bookshelf space. To each their own.

scudinc

Enlightened

Drugs are only a good idea if you're a writer, musician, or future president. Flashlights are useful for everyone. Of course, I've spent more on drugs this month (and especially today) than I have on flashlights, so maybe I'm not the best judge of that.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

see the thing is, he's already gotten me into his hobbies, so that's not a prob. i don't know what's up with that. same with knives and i actually use them. (my lights, my fountain pens, my knives, etc)

NetMage

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
GarageBoy said:
::sigh... I guess I should start doing drugs then...

[/ QUOTE ]

You already are if you're buying flashlights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

The best response I ever got to my flashaholism was my mom. She asked, "What's that thing clipped to your pocket." I said, "It's a flashlight [Surefire C2]. I'm kinda into flashlights now." She looked it over and said, "Your grandpa [who died a few months before] would have loved this."

My grandfather was an aircraft assembler at the Lockheed Skunkworks.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

A flashlight that works is a $2 thing, but a flashlight that doesn't fail you when you need one is priceless. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not all $2 flashlights are worth $2. Some are worth more, such as KevinL's picolight!

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, and lots of lights that cost more than $2 aren't even worth $2! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

offroadcmpr

Enlightened

I have sometimes have the same problem with my dad to since I'm only 17. he thinks its kinda absurd to spend that much but last night we went camping and he was very pleased with my mag85, to the extent of showing it off to some of his friends /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif . it dwarfed his nite rider hid bike light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
brandon

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

The usual comment.. Just show them that it kicks the quality of their mag clear across the room. If that doesnt work, take out your brightest one, and let em be visually disabled for who-knows-how-long. Actually, HID owners, ignore my previous statement.

Raybo

Enlightened

I show a light to my brother and he is in awe, and says....
"how much did you pay?", I tell him and he tells me I'm out of my mind.

Two days later he asked if he could borrow it, go figure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anytime people tell me that a flashlight should be $5 and under, my reply is something along the lines of...."yeah, if all you want is a piece of junk flashlight". The plastic el-cheapo Safeway sold lights that so many people I know buy end up breaking down at the worst times, and generally are junk. Sure, you can spend $1-$5 on a junk flashlight and have to re-buy them several times per year, or you can get something reliable for $20+ and have a lifetime investment.

Even a 2D Maglite is a good buy for the average consumer, yeah the beam quality sucks, but they super reliable, well made, and tough. Yet, most people I know won't even spend $20 for a Maglite--they consider THAT too expensive. When they hear the price of Surefires (my favorite brand), they about have a stroke.