A Little Accident. W/123's and a Peli. M6

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Re: A Little Accident. Enjoy - Part II

Hello Zelda,

That video demonstrates that the rapid part of "rapid venting with flame" can be very rapid (and perhaps explosive).

A few comments...

The results would have been similar, but less spectactular, charging to 4.5 volts, but would have taken longer.

The safe limit for charging Li-Ion cells (so far...) is 1C with suggestions that it is easier on the cell if you reduce that to 0.7C. The cell(s) in the video were rated at 800 mAh and charged at 6000 mA. That works out to 7.5C. You may be able to get similar results by simply using that charge rate and charging to 4.2 volts...

Finally, 100 C (212 F) is really hot. Cell damage occurs at temperatures in the 80 C (176 F) range, and I prefer to stop my testing when temperatures reach the 60 C (140 F) range.

All in all, this is a good reminder that we need to keep an eye on things when we are recharging Li-Ion chemistry.

Tom

pelks

Newly Enlightened
I had a similar problem with my King Pelican submersible light when after a night dive one evening I stored the light in my lounge overnight and early the next morning I heard a big BANG!
Got up and found the light all over the lounge.
Luckily no one was injured.
What I think happened is that a little sea water entered the light and corroded some of the cells coursing a gas buildup.
Although I was using D size Alkaline cells this goes to show what can happen with gas buildup from cells in sealled lights.
Maybe lights should have one way valves to vent gases!!
RY3, glad no one was hurt.

assassin337

Newly Enlightened
well this is a noob question but what are the dangers with a regular battery such as duracell(i know i spelled that wrong).

tron3

Banned
Dear LORD! :wow:

You mean the batteries popped an aluminum battery cap? Looks like an m-80 hit it.

martytoo

Newly Enlightened
In reply to Ron,

I believe you concerning the batteries not being mixed. I posted in another area concerning explosion issues and then found this thread. I bought a pair of inexpensive (2 for $20 at Sam's Club) Cyclops halogen lights that are powered by 123 type batteries. I was using one when upgrading one of our PCs. The light went out and I continued working while using an LED flashlight. About 1 or 2 hours later I heard a pop and hoped against hope that the computer wasn't the source. After some head scratching I realized that the source was the Cyclops.

I threw out the flashlight but will try to retrieve the batteries for a picture. They are outdoors near my house. I was more than a bit paranoid that night. In addition to the noise and heat there was a horrible odor from the explosion. The light itself remained intact which was nice.

The point of this post is to assure those reading the forum that these were the original Cyclops branded batteries. What I think happened is that I left the switch in the on position and one battery charged the other which caused a heat the gas build up.

I have removed all 123 lights from my car... and I am a bit paranoid about where I store these. I don't want them to be turned on inadvertantly.

:bumpit: :xyxgun:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Missionaryman,

missionaryman said:
so shouldn't this NOT happen with primary lithium? I thought it was only rechargeables the did this...

If you try to recharge a primary cell, this can be the results. Rechargeable cells also have this problem if they are damaged, or if the charge rate is too fast, or if the cells are overcharged.

Never mix old and new cells, or cells of different brands in a multi cell light. It is just not worth the risk.

Tom

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Martytoo,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I look forward to seeing your pictures...

Many people are very concerned about using up every last bit of power in their cells. In a single cell light, this is OK, but if the practice carries over to multi cell lights, there may be similar problems as those pointed out in this thread.

I store my new CR123 cells in a fireproof safe on a steel shelf, away from combustible materials. I am not paranoid, just safe... :D

Tom

martytoo

Newly Enlightened
Here you go. Notice how the bottom of the left cell looks indented in the pictures. Also the right cell is bulging due to the force of the explosion. I am happy that these are not as intense as what happened to Ron.

p21800029ne.th.jpg
p21800040gb.th.jpg

p21800059qm.jpg

Last edited:

roguesw

Enlightened
i just bought some panasonic 123 cells from hk, available in packs of four, i bought 20 of them and found out i had 3 leaking cells from 3 different packs
each of them were leaking battery acid and had a small puncture mark
i didnt notice the puncture mark until i removed the battery sleve
beware, even new battery packs from the factory might have some that are leaking so check new batteries as well.
just a thought

NickelPlate

Enlightened
Re: A Little Accident. Enjoy.

Kind of brings new meaning to the name "Surefire". :whistle:

[/ QUOTE ]

If you dig, there is a story around here about a Nuclear plant that issued SureFire lights. After the wall locker burned, they pulled all SureFire lights from use. And this is not the only case....

NickelPlate

Enlightened

Ray_of_Light said:
To measure flash-amps, set your DMM on 20 Amp scale, and measure the current flowing through the 123 cell.
Remember to keep the reading shorter than one or two seconds.

Anthony

You'll likely fry your meter doing that. Most meters that have a 20 Amp scale are not fused as such. Maybe not a big deal with a cheapo meter, but I sure wouldn't want to try it with my $400 Fluke.

Dave

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: A Little Accident. Enjoy - Part II

BC0311 said:
Cordite? Surely you jest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I don't know where any could even be found since the early days of World War II. It was a late 1800s, very early 1900s British propellant.

Sorry for the very late reply, but I have two cases of .303 British ammo loaded with Cordite. I'm not in a hurry to take it all apart, but I certainly know where probably a few pounds of it is!

Windscale

Enlightened
I am new to this website. I use almost entirely 123A rechargeables for my torches. I think the word to always remember is "SAFETY".

Most 123As, and in fact, AAs, AAAs, Buttons and the lot, are now made in China. Yes, even the big names such as Duracell and Energizer are no exceptions.

I think the following guidelines, many based on earlier views expressed in this thread, should be seriously observed.

1. Never mix batteries of different brands or of different degrees of exhaustions.
2. Change or recharge entire sets once the light becomes dimmer. Don't wait until the light goes out or by trying to turn to a lower setting and wait till the light dims out completely.
3. Try not to turn your light on for longer than necessary. Always turn off when they become hot. If you need to use a light for longer periods, best to carry two or more lights and use them in turn.
4. Check your batteries weekly, or sooner, and everytime before you go out intending to use the lights. Check for leakages and indents at top and bottom. Some designs which turn on the light by turning the tailcap, e.g. 6P, can cause the batteries to be too tightly squeezed. Given time this may cause indents. especially with cheaper Chinese torches.
5. Take care where you leave your lights normally. If you have a light in the kitchen, as in the case in this thread, keep clear of the oven ,cookers, tabs and any known sources of heat and water. And, like drugs, keep out of reach of children (and dogs and cats).

Accidents can always happen. The name of the game, however, is to take all necessary precautions so as to avoid them. An instrument can always be dangerous if the master of it is not too careful.

I hope I have been of some help.

Last edited:

hogx1

Newly Enlightened

Everything has pretty much already been said. But I would just like to add those jalapeños chips (on the counter) are damn good...