A2 Killer

Spydie

Newly Enlightened
I honestly hate my A2..........everytime I use it and consider how well it works, I keep having to wonder why I need to keep spending on other lights, and why I ever needed to buy any other light after getting the A2 :shakehead .

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me the U2 does it and I lucked out with the creme de la creem of emitters in my U2, (PSM hope you enjoy that tube sned me yoru old one if you don't want it anymore I like the newer style better) the A2 is much easier to carry, the Kroma is slightly larger and may be a problem for some people, what it really comes down to is do you like the Xenon white tint or the LED blue tint?

Andromeda

Newly Enlightened
No way! I would dump my K2 for that cute little A2 (referring to the flat 4 version). :grin2: No, I don't need the colourful stuffs. And moreover, the K2 is really pawned big time by those Fenix CE based lights which are significantly smaller, lighter, much brighter with longer runtime and runs on AA, AAA. You go figure.

Last edited:

firefly99

Enlightened
surefire86 said:
Some other personal opinions: Why does everyone want to use rechargeable batteries in a light designed for primaries? I understand saving money, but primaries are so much more reliable. They don't self-discharge, and you sure don't have to jack around with all this B.S. about "are the cells protected or not?" or "do I have to let them sit for some amount of time after I charge them, before I use them?" or "do I have to stop using the light when the beam starts to get dimmer?" .
Wondering about the same question myself. Totally agree that primaries are so much easier and safer to use around the house. Just don't want to take risk of rechargeable batteries

surefire86 said:
You folks who carry a light every day need to consider that if it's important enough to carry the light every day, then isn't it just as important that it works properly? Or is it just a toy to show your friends? And who cares what color the finish is, or how "cool looking" the light is? Function over form is the rule when it comes to survival equipment. That sounds like the guy who wouldn't jump into the lake to save his drowning girlfriend because he didn't want his hair to get messed up! And lastly, I've been using Surefire and Mag incadescent lights in the law enforcement profession for the past 15 years. All of that time on the street, so the lights see alot of use, and I have only had ONE bulb failure due to dropping the light, and that was with the Mag Charger. I have had maybe two other bulb failures in Surefire lights where the bulbs basically burned out prematurely due to manufacturing defect, and were replaced by Surefire. But I was covered at work because I always carry a backup light. Incidently, I also always carry a backup gun, and a cell phone to backup my police radio, because it is the prudent thing to do with ANY important piece of equipment. ANYTHING man-made is subject to failure. I'm sure that LED lamp are no exception. What I'm trying to say here is that I'm sure LED's have a lower failure rate than incans, but incans are still VERY reliable.
Agree, both LED and incan have their place in the flashlight world. Just have to choose the correct tool for the job.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think either one will replace the other. They both have their uses. I have a respectable collection of both incans and LED's and I like them both. For me personally, though, the more I use my LED's the more I like the incans. I don't have an A2, but I have used one and I will definately buy one someday. I have also used a Kroma and I don't think I would ever buy one. If I need a multi-level LED, my HDS definately suits my needs. I just LOVE the Surefire incandescent beams more than any of the LED beams. There is just something soul-satisfying about a great high-end incan beam that LED's just can not duplicate or replace. I have heard it said on this forum that an incan light is like sunlight and an LED is like moonlight. I would agree with that. Like I saw in someone's sigline here, LED's impress, but incans satisfy.

lightplay22

Enlightened
3D mag in my front pocket? Not hardly, but A2 will fit nicely. Such a convienient and useful light, that A2 is.

luigi

Enlightened
I wonder if Surefire will eventually create an A2 with a CREE Led instead of the incandescent bulb, the Cree can throw as nice and far as an incandescent with the advantages of never needing to be replaced.
I would really really like a setup like that.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do agree with the posts above on the compactness of the A2. Compared to an L1, or an L2, or a 6v incan light, it is very compact yet provides both a very useful high beam and a very useful and long-running low beam. I prefer the old 4-flat body, too, because (although it's really an illusion) it seems a little more compact than the new 3-flat body.

scubasteve1942

Enlightened
luigi said:
I wonder if Surefire will eventually create an A2 with a CREE Led instead of the incandescent bulb, the Cree can throw as nice and far as an incandescent with the advantages of never needing to be replaced.
I would really really like a setup like that.

That would be interesting. But I rather see a KROMA Cree, and leave the A2 as is.

fixman88

Newly Enlightened
My A2 is the most perfect light I have ever owned. I use it every day and carry it with me everywhere. I've never had the chance to handle a Kroma, but it looks larger and might be more difficult to clip to your belt (although I'm not sure). I do use the incan at night quite often, though, so it's fog piercing ability probably gives it an edge for me.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought this was about a light that is better than the A2.

Maybe this thread should be titled "A2, Killer"

Illum

Flashaholic
JNewell said:
I prefer the old 4-flat body, too, because (although it's really an illusion) it seems a little more compact than the new 3-flat body.

It is more compact in terms of less material used, but doesnt make a difference when its in the pocket

btw: I have the old 4 flat version and it definitely looks better than the new rounded version, but thats just me:grin2:

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my A2s, but my Kromas have displaced them in use.

It is funny how CPF is about this light. It used to be irrationally despised here. Now it has a cult-like following.

Scott

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tested out misty conditions and the U2 just blinds you with reflection from the mist I have yet to try an incan in my setup, so I may be buying a SF.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am referring to the SureFire A2.

When the light was first intruduced, it was despised here. Peoole said it was "BOHICA" -- Bend Over Here It Comes Again. Now, it is touted as photonic nirvana.

The A2 has an awful lot going for it. Its aesthetics arguably are not matched by, say, the Kromas. I would say its design is at the pinnacle of incandescent-ness. It is much more than just a flashlight. It is a work of art, in a manner of speaking.

However, A2 has its shortcomings. Its battery life is not long. Its bulb has a finite life (something like 60 hrs probably) and is subject to breakage. When the batteries die, you lose the bright beam relatively quickly.

My Kroma milspec equals or exceeds my A2s' performance in all but fog cutting, throw, and size. The A2's margin is not wide in any of those. The Milspec's high beam gradually diminishes at the end of battery life, a welcome change from my A2s' and my regular Kroma's sudden death behavior.

The reason I would choose an A2 over a Kroma would be aesthetics (owning the lights already). But for performance, the Kroma Milspec is the one I choose.

A very good reason to buy the A2 over a Kroma is cost, ironic since the cost of an A2 was a point of major criticism early on. Maybe people should start saying BOHICA about the Kromas :)

Scott

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
beezaur, of course I would be interested in a light the size of an A2, with the same or better output and runtime (and the flood/throw options!) with high/low capabilities. And with the higher efficiency Cree and Seoul LEDs I can imagine suitable LED alternatives in the future.

One such light that appears promising is the McLux PD-S with mizer -- similar output to the A2 but runs for 2-3 hours on a single cell... certainly not for those on a budget, however.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
In order for a light to be a real "A2 killer" it would have to be the same quality and aesthetics (a very tall order by itself) and outperform the A2 with the same size at less cost.

What I like about the A2-white is that you get flood in the dim beam and a lot of throw in the high beam. That availability of different beam patters probably is one of the things that made Mag so popular.

Evidently the current LEDs need a relatively large optic to get good throw. The Kromas' optic is about as big as the A2's reflector. That seems to necessitate small LEDs around the outside to get the floody dim beam. Maybe flashlight LEDs will get smaller, and can use a smaller optic. It would be nice to have the same kind of head as the Kroma, but no larger than an A2 head. That might be possible if a 5mm or 3mm LED can do 50-70 lumens. I think the A2's lamp is about 5mm.

Scott

Latest posts