A2 or U2?

wquiles

Flashaholic
I had both (still own the A2). For me, for EDC duty, the A2 wins hands down due to its smaller size and versatility. As I run mine with MP700 rechargables, I run mine for free ;)

If you had a bag of some kind, or a holster, or some easy way to pack the U2, then the U2 along with 18650 cells would be hard to beat, if you can afford the heaver/larger U2. As for me, the A2 is the one I selected and kept :)

Will

cy

Flashaholic
greenLED said:
It is the lack of rechargeable option what keeps me away from the A2. I went the U2 way.

been running 2x R123 li-ion in A2 with no problems.
there's several other also running A2 with li-ion with no issues, so far

CLHC

Flashaholic
Just an input in regards to the question posed. . .Since I don't have these (yet) and after I've been sitting on the fence for so long on which one of these fine SureFire lighting tools—I would jump on the Aviator. Yellow|Green of course!

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size15's said:
I would get another A2.
I would not buy a U2.

I know Al is an L2 guy, formerly an A2 guy. Maybe one thing he is suggesting is that the U2 may be outdated by 2006. With SF's new emphasis on optics, it looks like the new U2 (Darpa?) will throw a lot further. As to the question of purchasing something now, the A2 is most likely going to stay the same, and it is still about the best thing in its class. Just a thought. :)

muitah

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies guys, its greatly appreciated. Looks like I'll grab another A2 and investigate the possibilities of rechargables for it as well.

Luna

Enlightened
leukos said:
With SF's new emphasis on optics, it looks like the new U2 (Darpa?) will throw a lot further.

I don't think that more throw would make the U2 a better light. We like to think of our LEDs as portable carbon arcs. To me it seems they are affected by atmospheric moisture so much that they just are not as suited to the task (in the color temps we prefer). At least not in a 100ish lumen range.