AA bug out bag light recommendations

ekengle

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a few inexpensive single AA lights to put in a couple of BOBs and in the vehicles. What I would like to have are:

1. Uses AA to match up with the other equipment I have.

2. Has at least a hi/low mode. It doesn't need to be the brightest thing on the planet but good for normal tasks. Extra modes are fine but not required.

3. Good runtime.

4. Reasonable size to handle but doesn't take up too much room in the bag either. I consider my Quark MiNi AA too small for this task (with gloves possibly).

5. Decent build quality. It doesn't need to be built like a tank but I don't want to break it if it falls out of the bag.

6. Around $25.00 each. Budget is somewhat flexible.

These lights will probably not be used unless there is an emergency. They will go into the bag with a stash of L91s and my other items. I will need several so I don't want to spend a ton. They will be replaced in the future by my Quark AA's and others once the technology advances a level or two.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

pwatcher

Enlightened
for under $25, I think it's going to be tough meeting your requirements? but for something inexpensive, while seemingly pretty tough, you might want to consider Brinkmann 809-1095-0 Armor Max, even though it uses just 1AA and has only one level.

For low light, long runtime purposes, maybe just one of your group could have a separate light such as the quark you already have?

wow, in edit, that minimag looks perfect for your needs. big river has them for < $20 and free shipping!

hmmm, in reading some of the 1 star reviews on big river, not so sure I'd trust my well-being on this particular model in a bug out situation...

Last edited:

ekengle

Newly Enlightened
new rebel mini mags high low approx 40 lumen on high
low sos and becon

I have considered that. I'm really not a fan of Mag. I would also like to keep to single battery lights if possible. If I can't find anything else that I like then that's probably what I will go with.

Keep em' coming...

oronocova

Enlightened
How about the iTP A2. There is a coupon code you can use with the posted link, or there are other dealers as well. It'll give you 3 modes, you can put a energizer lithium in it and forget it for a while till you need it! I have one, they are great lights! It has a reversible clip that could be used on a ball cap as a headlamp.

pwatcher

Enlightened
try googling this one! Streamlight 51003

I like Streamlight's quality - don't have this model, but do have several others. this one should be easy to hold, and long run time if you just run on the led's, but in a crunch you've got some serious xenon available too!

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
+1 on the ITP A2. I prefer the Quark Mini AA but played around with an A2 before handing it over for a gift. Seemed kinda good for the money much like the AAA ITP A3.

Edit.

I see you have a Quark and think it's too small. The ITP is nearly the same light. The newer mini Mag with Rebel LED is nice but is 2XAA.

Last edited:

ekengle

Newly Enlightened
How about the iTP A2. There is a coupon code you can use with the posted link, or there are other dealers as well. It'll give you 3 modes, you can put a energizer lithium in it and forget it for a while till you need it! I have one, they are great lights! It has a reversible clip that could be used on a ball cap as a headlamp.

I like the specs on that light and have read many good things about iTP here. My only concern is that it may be a little short for easy handling with gloves on. I like the size of my Quark AA's with gloves. They are small but not too small. I would love to stock the bags with those but that would be quite a bit more $$ than I want to spend on lights that may just sit in a bag. The ones I own now will eventually get there, but not before new technology makes them obsolete for EDC use. That will take a while.

I do like the idea of the reversible clip on a ball cap though.

ekengle

Newly Enlightened
The Streamlight 51003 sounds like a good house light when the power goes out, but it's a little big for what I have in mind.

The Nu-Flare-Ultra is just a single mode light from what I can tell.

pobox1475

Enlightened
Around $25.00 each. Budget is somewhat flexible.
How flexible? At around $70 I consider the JetBeam Pro I v3.0 to be one of the best single AA's at any price. Just be sure to get the OP reflector if you did decide to go for it.

Purpleorchid

Newly Enlightened
How about an Inova flashlight? I have an X1 gen 2 (single AA) and it's a battery vampire. Not sure about the newer generation runtimes.

They're available at Target if you want to see them in person.

Last edited:

ekengle

Newly Enlightened
How flexible? At around $70 I consider the JetBeam Pro I v3.0 to be one of the best single AA's at any price. Just be sure to get the OP reflector if you did decide to go for it.

Not quite that flexible. I need 6 total. One for each vehicle, 2 for each bag. That's much more than I wanted to put into this right now.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have a look at the Terralux range perhaps the Lightstar 100,100 lumens on high,50 on low and cheap.A friend of mine has one and he loves it.

vali

Enlightened
The programmable Akoray K-106. Roughly the same size as the Quark, cheap and you can have a 30+ hours runtime. The only con is that is not that bright using NiMH but with L91 should be a bit better.

Be sure to get the programmable (and more expensive, 20$) one. There are tons of reports about failures in the 5-mode models.

Unfortunately there are not lots of budget single AA lights with long runtime. Most of them are in the 1 hour mark and the buyers tend to think "the brighter, the better" even with short runtimes :(