AA mini-maglite knockoff: $1.00 - How to modify???

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: AA mini-maglite knockoff: $1.00 - How to modif

Forgot to mention, I disagree with a previous post with respect to a boost circuit. I say go for it! You can build some of them with only a dollar or two's worth of parts, which seems totally in the spirit of this light. Or you could buy a Dorcy 1aaa LED flashlight for $6 from WalMart to remove the boost circuit from there and insert it into your light. Any of these things would result in a neat, low cost LED light.

But if you do any of these, please post your results, including lots of photos! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast

Was wondering, on a 9600mcd white running direct at 40mA. How much optical energy will be lost if you get power from a 'AA' boosted. just trying to pit size, price, and brightness against each other.

do any of these influence your design plans???

jeff

paulr

Flashaholic

Well, if you can really build a boost converter for a buck or two in parts (Satcure?), great, though just the effort involved might make me feel inclined to look for a better quality host light to start with. But whatever.

I've had a couple of cheap lights whose bezels wouldn't stay on. One was a 1AA of the type that used to come free with a Duracell AA 8-pack. I figured the runtime on a Duracell AA was likely to be in the 5+ hour range, which is practically forever for a use-once-in-a-while flashlight, so I simply glued the bezel on permanently with the battery inside, making the flashlight disposable.

I see that Batterystation has some 3.6 volt AA and 1/2AA computer batteries that are past expiration (but should have plenty of shelf life left) for $1.00 each. Those are designed for very low current drains but should be ok at running a single 3mm LED. The Tektite Trek Lithium (formerly Micro-lith) uses the AA size for 100+ hours. I still think two L91's is the simplest approach though.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast

The family and I went to the mall yesterday and I stopped in and got a few of these. Man they are cheap, 1 drop and everything came apart, but it goes back together easy enough. The thing I did was to grind down one on my true green 3mm and slap it in there, man, its bright. the specs for the leds are 3k-4kmcd, Vf=3.3typ 3.6max If=30mA. Well I checked it, and I must have a really good batch of greens. I got Vf=3.08v and If=48mA. these are going to be x-mas gifts for the campers in the family. Green mod with no extra parts. just thought I would throw that in.
jeff

reviewum

Enlightened

WildRice: Do you have any pics of your finished product? I'd especially like to see how you ground down the LED!

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast

Rob, It's hard to see from the pics, but what I did was this... BTW I use a thick emery board. I ground flat to just above junction. then rounded the top, about 1/3 dome height than that of the original. then rough up the sides. I found the best way to get rid of the flash on the base of the LED is to clip it off with nail clippers then sand down the rough edges. hope this is clear enough.
Jeff
IMAG0007.JPG

paulr

Flashaholic

Why was there any need to grind down the 3mm green led? I thought the 3mm white one went in with no cutting.

I think that led will get dim pretty fast as the battery voltage drops (although "pretty fast" probably means several hours, which is more than the recipients will probably expect from a flashlight). L91's should work a lot better.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast

I dunno..... Just going on the idea of the LED in the Dorcy 4AA i have. roulded to scatter the light so it can be focused by the reflector. either way works fine, but I have some focus controll this way.

reviewum

Enlightened

WildRIce -

Thanks for the pics! I've got a few mods I've done to these that I should post... unfortunately none of them are up to par of most of the modders here, but what am I gonna do!

One thing I did was drilled a larger hole into the reflector so my 5mm red LED would fit into it. This was REALLY easy, but I'm stuck with a tight viewing angle.

Pics on the way!

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wylie, Is that a 2xAA m@g thing. if so how are they being driven???
jeff