Added an L4 to keep my E2L company

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
jumpstat said:
Congrats to TheEconomist on your purchase. I for one has throwers ie L1 and KL1 and would like to get a floodier lite. The L4 or KL4 is a contender.
All the best
I just had a Seoul emitter swap performed on an otherwise stock KL1 head. I am surprised, I mean surprised, at the beam characteristics. It is now far brighter (expected) with a long runtime, but the beam is now much more of a flood. I assume this is due to optic to emitter dimensions, but it now throws a large, round, bright beam with a nice spill too. I've been told this beam is quite similar to the new Cree-based Surefires; if so, we'll all be happy!

I'll try to do some beamshots sometime this week (outdoors shots).

I find I appreciate a good, bright, floody beam more and more for the purposes of trail hiking, climbing, and just generally walking around in the dark. I've never owned a KL4 but now wish that I had.

I'd say the E2L and L4 are a great pairing. Congrats! Pick up a F04 beamshaper for the E2L and you'll get a beautiful, soft flood beam. You'll love it, one of the best inexpensive "mods" out there (it should be around $15 new with shipping).

:rock:

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
jumpstat said:
Hi Alin10123,

When regulation of KL4 kicks in, eventually the 17670 is running how many volts?

Thanks.

I'm not positive on the exact #. I think i read about it somewhere here though. Not positive though. Maybe someone else could chime in with the exact #.

tazambo

Newly Enlightened
You can NOT run 2 x 3.7V rechargables in an L4 = poof
(Lots of threads stating this).

Some KL4 heads run very well on 1 primary cell (3.0V), my 2 don't, they output at about 40 - 50% brightness.
(Apparently it depends on the vf of the emitter? and has something to do with the nature of the convertor).

Nearly all KL4 heads run near or at full brightness on 1 x 3.7V rechargeable.

If you run the KL4 on 1 x RCR123 (using a E1L body, or similar) you get what's known as a TW4. Small, bright and ? 15 minutes run time (don't quote me on the run time).

AW's protected 17670 cells do not fit in my 2 L4's, AW suggests using a 14670. The newer L4 bodies are much narrower at the tail end. I've heard you can enlarge them slightly with a Dremel tool ?

Regards
Dave

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks tazambo for the brief.
To summarise, the KL4 needs to be feed properly and shall give out a wall of bright light whereas the the KL1 can use 2x3.7 R123s without problem but due to led and its corresponding board regulation provides less output but with higher runtime.

KL1 a trower with the TIR optics and the KL4 Floodier with more light. So I need a KL4 as well.