Advice - R2 or GDP

monkey1368

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a Nitecore Extreme and can't decide between the R2 or Golden Dragon Plus bulbs. Do you have any advice, impressions, or comments?

Thank You

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Golden dragon might be a little better , and can be driven a little harder , as long as its the right Golden Dragon .

Check out nailbenders offerings .

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Driven at stock Extreme levels I would pick the R2 unless I was looking for a smoother beam profile. Then I would get the GDP.

paintballdad

Enlightened
If you're looking from an output standpoint then R2, but i doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between the R2's 200 lumens vs the GD+'s 190 lumens on primaries. I much prefer a smoother beam hence my preference for the GD+. My comparison is based on my EX10's which i have in both Cree Q5 and GD+.

Just my .02 lovecpf

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The GDP has a smoother beam.

The R2 bin has more output and more throw.

Pick the one you most prefer.

paintballdad

Enlightened
I would think that the GD+ would throw slightly further than the R2. The GD+ has a smaller die so the reflector is slightly longer. Also since the GD+ reflector does not have to deal with eliminating Cree rings, they are not as deeply textured compared to the R2 reflector. I'm assuming these are the same reasons why Ra Lights claim their Osram GD+ based lights throw 20% further.

paintballdad

Enlightened
Sarge, what do you think. Were my assumptions off the mark. Like to hear your feedback on this. I think about flashlights way too much lately.....:confused:

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
All I can speak on with any personal experience is that between 2 EX10's the XR-E out threw the GDP. Perhaps it was only my samples but all the difference between the reflectors that I could make out is the smaller aperture on the GDP.

I've yet to try a Ra GDP I must admit. You might be right!

Try putting an XP-E into a GDP reflector and look at that throw. :)
Once we can get some XP-E specific smooth reflectors then I think the throw meter is going to get a workout.

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree rings are "eliminated" in real outdoor usage.

paintballdad

Enlightened
Hey Sarge, thanks for your feedback. I'm not entirely sure myself, these are just my assumptions based on what I see on my EX10s. The Q5 reflector on my EX10 definitely has more texture to it compared to the GD+. I guess the variances in the LEDs themselves might be a factor in the throw equation.

Oh, and my apologies to the OP for semi hijacking this thread....

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had both of these in P60 drop-ins and the GDP is going to be good for wall hunting as the beam will amaze you. The throw is not as good as the R2.

The R2 has a less purrrrtee beam, but it throws further and looks brighter or at least the cool white version I had.

I would get the GDP!:D

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys, i too cant decide between the GD or Q5 ( R2 too expensive where i am ) so this is interesting, the thing is saying one dosnt throw as much as the other dosnt help too much ( no offense ) is there a real world point when using your GD that you said damn i needed the Q5/R2 ??? or does the GD do most stuff well ??

hiredgun

Newly Enlightened
If anything, the name "Golden Dragon Plus" sounds way cooler than a robotic name of Q5 or R2.

Deadman

Newly Enlightened
I have just recived a GDP extreme infinity, i am pleased with it :), apart from one o ring which was DOA in the lense asembily....... :shakehead . but the colour temp is really good comparing it with a q5, ( i like the warmer variety of lights) It makes my q5 light look purple ;)

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
the main reason to get the gdp over the r2 would be the warmer tint, I have the golden dragon in a d10 and i really like the warm tint.