Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES!

• YES! (no) haha!

• Total voters

turbodog

Flashaholic
Now that the dust has settled on the U2 fanfare. I'm curious to know what people think of this light.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tons of fanfare and speculation, I suppose there will be disappointment.

Having a U2 for several months, I like the light, butr find that I don't use six different power settings: It's either full power or the lowest, I zip through the settings without a thought.

It's a high quality light, of typical Surefire construction and performance. But I also think it's a light searching for a use. Similar max output can be had in an L5 (for significantly cheaper) and dual output can be had in an L2.

Who was this light designed for? Seems somewhat redundant in Surefire's overall product line-up.

--dan

turbodog

Flashaholic
Light searching for a use...... that says a lot.

I'd get more use out of it if the clip were reversed. That way I could wear it on my hat. But is is rather large and heavy.

I'm glad I bought it. That way my curiosity is satisfied. But, I don't think I'd miss it.

The HDS 60 with a 150 or 168 battery tube could give the U2 a serious run for its money.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
My personal opinion, I'd rather have three settings at the most if I had to swich between them each time I use the light. I think the current L1 would be the cat's meow if the low setting was about three times as bright.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Well ... it has found its use with me.
IMHO it is the best general-purpose illumination tool available right now, and the middle levels are just ideal as standard settings ...
bernhard

AlecGold

Enlightened
The U2 has been a while the EDC (like almost every new light) and it is a bit big in a pair of jeans. So I'm back to my E1e KL1, but the U2 is still frequently in use for walking/running, camping, mapreading in the car etc. etc.
the E1eKL1 is very good as an EDC, but for outdoor use often to dim. the U2 can be dim (mapreading) or bright (running) and everything in between. 6 levels is a lot, but for every task you can select the optimum level, which results is less batterie consumption. (on other lights the light is almoost always at max.)

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
sotto said:
My U2 taught me what a phenomenal light my new L1 Lumamax is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, mine taught me to enjoy my L4 a lot more.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:
Yeah, mine taught me to enjoy my L4 a lot more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same, except for one key difference.

I don't have an L4.

....... I'm getting one..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

The U2 is a wonderful light and I love mine to death (X bin and all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) but it's a bit big. Enter the L4. Exit money from Paypal account.

Mark2

Enlightened
I totally agree with Kiessling. IMHO, the U2 is the best allround light available today. If I could only take one light, I'd take the U2 without hesitation. (...and I have a couple of lights to chose from! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif)

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:
And my lux v nflex blows them both away. But it's too big for pocket carry.

[/ QUOTE ]

As does my Mag3X. That's why you need the PocketMate-W /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Interesting thought of the day: It is very possible to build a Mag3X into a PocketMate-W sized light that's powered by a single 18650, just order the appropriate housing from modamag and follow the directions.... that would be crazy lumens from a tiny little light!

c'mon turbodog....if you don't like your U2 just say so, B/S/T awaits /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Agreed with Mark2, the U2 is the perfect light for all those occasions when there can only be one...

turbodog

Flashaholic
I'd agree with that, but how often are we stuck with only 1 light?

I'm giving some serious thought to selling it.

O_DubhGhaill

Newly Enlightened
Greetings All. I recently purchased U2 #A01660 and can detect what I believe is a faint shadow within the circle of the hot-spot of the beam at all settings out from beyond two feet distance. I enjoy the light and have no issues with improper tailcap function or the very slight greenish/chalk tint. I must say, however, that I was a bit disappointed when I first used it and discovered something less than a "Flawless beam, no dark spots or rings...," as Surefire advertises the U2 on their site.

I've been searching the fora here at various times for several days, but have yet to find pictures of the U2's beam in any thread within the LED index for comparison. I did find a site that featured a rather comprehensive review of the U2, as well a single beam-shot of the U2 that is identical to mine, featuring the slight shadow in the center hot-spot ring of the beam: Imago Metrics Beamshots and Imago Metrics U2 Review.

You might have noticed that I posted a similar message as this in a previous thread, but I thought it appropriate to post it here with additional info. Many thanks in advance to any and all that can direct me to these threads.

O'DubhGhaill, out.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Well ... if you're going somewhere and don't want to be burdened with a couple of lights for example ... just grab the U2 and you're covered ...
bernhard

Kiessling

Flashaholic
O'DubhGhaill, this is called a donut-hole and is discussed here every few weeks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Basically it is the representation of a LuxV in focus, and it is generally regarded as non-desirable but difficult to avoid in such lights. Try a search on donut-hole and prepare for a long read ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Imago Metrics ... well ... do a search on them here and search also for Aten_Imago related threads to understand some reactions ...

bernhard

P.S.: Welcome to CPF and stay a while !!

SilverFox

Flashaholic
I have to agree with Bernhard.

The U2 is a great light.

At night I set the selector for low light, during the day I ramp up to a medium setting, and to "WOW" the crowd the high setting is used. My only complaint is that the low setting is not low enough for dark adapted eyes.

I overcame the problem of one handed operation of the selector ring by conditioning it with some LubriMatic spray Silicone Lubricant. This has loosened up the ring to where I can easily change light levels with one hand even when my hands are covered in grease (working on the car) or muddy and wet (working in the yard).

I will admit that my L4 has a "smoother" beam for white wall inspection, but that has little effect for my everyday use. I love my L4, have fitted it with a McE2S two stage switch, and use it all the time for work inside the house. However I find myself grabbing the U2 when I head outside.

Tom

O_DubhGhaill

Newly Enlightened
Will do and vielen dank Herrn Kiessling for the info and greeting -- I know I will indeed be staying awhile as this is an incredibly informative Forum.

O'DubhGhaill, out.