• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Amber in the Fog

hsa

Enlightened
@defloyd77, I have come to the same conclusion after many nights in the fog. Ironically a classic d cell mag at 168 lumen with a 4 degree beam held low at your side will do as well as anything out there for distance and better than most. For closer distance it doesn't matter so use whatever color you like. For distance use a narrow beam. Nothing penetrates fog.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
But do you want more light where a chunk of which is harder for you to see by, or slightly less light but it's easier to see by?

For any given intensity of white light, white light tending towards blue is more glaring than white light tending towards yellow. This is why the warmer headlamps feel less harsh-- they're less harsh.

The blue light cut by selective yellow tint represents about 15% of the visible light emitted by a filament, but just because the light is visible doesn't make it usable.
Like just about everything in life, they key is a good compromise, a higher CCT will put out more out more light and get more light down range, but is harsh. Yellow light will technically get a (arguably negligible) higher percentage of light down range and is less harsh, but is still less light down range and as you said, just because the light is visible, doesn't make it useable. You're going to give everything an unnatural yellow tint, which could have a negative effect on object identification.

All of this just to say just use whatever CCT you normally prefer to use. Every reason that applies to clear weather use applies to adverse weather use.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
based on my experience , i can not say yellow, or warm white cuts thru fog better, less blue scattered in suspended droplets is what makes it easier on the eyes, hence you see better.

i have 2 cars 2018 pilot, and 2021 passport, the pilot has halogens h9s, and halogen fog lights, the passport has factory led low lights, and led fog lights. in most cases i like headlights of the passport better, but not in fog. yellow halogen light is more useful. easier on the eyes.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMG_0945s800.jpg

I love my triple amber teardrop. ;)

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I still love the amber, I use it all the time. Honestly I use it just as much as my other HDS'. Mainly for letting the dog out at nite, and creeping around the house haha.

muichimon

Newly Enlightened
I still love the amber, I use it all the time. Honestly I use it just as much as my other HDS'. Mainly for letting the dog out at nite, and creeping around the house haha.
I see, it's a surprisingly easy color to use. I'm also interested in amber.