Anglepoise CR2 beauty

rscanady

Enlightened
Very nice adapter, its always cool to see creative solutions in the engineering world, George I am always impressed by your designs.

Thanks for sharing.

Ryan

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great Job George & Scott! :twothumbs

Alright now it's time to share the loving. When's the signup gonna start. :D J/K

Keep up the good work guys.

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would definitely buy one. I would love to have a custom built single cell light with a side mounted switch.

Is the availability of side mounted drivers the reason more builders dont make lights such as this?

I like the chamelion(sp) but I think it only uses rechargeables.

Very nice work on this one.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
russtang said:
Is the availability of side mounted drivers the reason more builders dont make lights such as this?

I think it's just supply and demand. And product awareness.
I notice on George's website, there are five D2DIM side switch drivers in stock and available for immediate shipment.
These drivers could be used to make a nice EDC light with a single a R-CR123a battery.
However to make them work, one would have to be able to machine a center section similar to the jpeg below.

example-2.jpg

A little trickier than a flat two dimension board. The switch throws new challenges into the equation.

As LED's get brighter, users will demand 'variable intensity' drivers
for their small EDC lights.
A good solid 'low' is IMHO just as important as a good high.
Then they will demand simple ,intuitive 'User interfaces'.

And then hopefully more builders will give side switch drivers a go.

Darell

Flashaholic
OK... George didn't have the proper comparison lights in his shots. The "Beauty" is only large when you compare it to a CR2 Larry Light. Both lights serve their purpose very well. The Larry light is 100% minimalist, while the Beauty has a full-featured UI and spring-loaded battery.

beauty_ll_04.jpg

beauty_ll_03.jpg

This one proves that the shots were taken at my house. Notice my daughter's hair! These also look filthy in the shots. But hey, I carry them in my pocket. What do you expect?
beauty_ll_01.jpg

beauty_ll_02.jpg

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Nice work you guys! :thumbsup: I won't concede that mancow's UI is viable even for challenged old farts like me cause if you give him an inch you might as well give him the county but the mechanical and electronic look very cool! This is a refreshing thread! :D

Darell

Flashaholic
And honestly, NOBODY wants Don's "inch." :D

That said, there's even a little of Don in there (vs. some "Little Don"). You may have recognized the reflector? Gives this little wonder a fantastic, useful (and even throwing) beam. I love it!

Operating manual for Don: Click, on. Click off. Go surf.

PS. It turns out that my daughter's hair was permanently embedded in my Larry Light! How it managed to get into the driver can and the head is beyond me. I had to get the surgical tools out just to break it off, as extraction was not in the cards. I knew you'd all be interested in the outcome, so I'm glad I could put you at ease.

Last edited: