Any basics?

Seanzo

Newly Enlightened
Is there a section for basics? Such as "Batteries for Dummies," "Emitters for Dummies," "P60s for Dummies..." I've been learning a lot, but it always seems to be in the middle of a stream of knowledge and I don't really get a ground floor to start on.

scout24

Flashaholic
Hello and welcome! There are "stickies" threads up at the top of each subforum which may be of help, otherwise it's a constantly changing landscape. Ask questions, read a LOT, and know I still learn something routinely after almost 14 years here. Most members are helpful and you'll be up to speed quickly. Also, read this thread (also a sticky in the Café.)

Seanzo

Newly Enlightened
Hello and welcome! There are "stickies" threads up at the top of each subforum which may be of help, otherwise it's a constantly changing landscape. Ask questions, read a LOT, and know I still learn something routinely after almost 14 years here. Most members are helpful and you'll be up to speed quickly. Also, read this thread (also a sticky in the Café.)
Thanks! I will say I discovered I wanted Malkoff lights only a couple weeks after finding out they existed.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
With nearly all types of batteries, the main thing is; don't match old and new cells of the same type in one flashlight that runs off of more than one battery.

With AA or AAA Energizer lithium batteries, same rule applies.

Now with other types of lithium primaries, it gets a bit potentially dangerous. If one of them should "vent with flame" or basically explode, the fumes they give off are extremely toxic. Best to use single-cell lights that take such batteries. In multi-cell lights there are a handful of rules:

*Don't mix and match new and old cells together.
*Don't mix and match cells made in different parts of the world.
*Don't mix and match cells from different companies.
*Don't use No-name brand, generic cells.
*Buy cells only from very reputable online dealers, and buy in bulk to save on the cost of these cells.

Realize you're greatly reducing the risk of a "vent with flame" possibility.

Lithium rechargeables.... Way too much to cover in one post. The dangers are worse compared to lithium primaries simply due to the fact that things can go very wrong during the charging process. It could be because of the charger, it could be because of the individual cells being charged up.

Honestly, it's like walking through a mine-field. If you've done the research, educated yourself to a great degree; you're crossing that mine-field with a map that shows exactly where each and every single mine is located. If you haven't done that, then you're marching across, blind.

When it comes to friends, family, co-workers (the average person) I won't gift them a light that runs off of Lithium anything. With the exception of a light that can function on alkalines or AA or AAA lithium primaries from Energizer. Since the lithium chemistry in those cells is different and safer.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Seanzo

Newly Enlightened
With nearly all types of batteries, the main thing is; don't match old and new cells of the same type in one flashlight that runs off of more than one battery.

With AA or AAA Energizer lithium batteries, same rule applies.

Now with other types of lithium primaries, it gets a bit potentially dangerous. If one of them should "vent with flame" or basically explode, the fumes they give off are extremely toxic. Best to use single-cell lights that take such batteries. In multi-cell lights there are a handful of rules:

*Don't mix and match new and old cells together.
*Don't mix and match cells made in different parts of the world.
*Don't mix and match cells from different companies.
*Don't use No-name brand, generic cells.
*Buy cells only from very reputable online dealers, and buy in bulk to save on the cost of these cells.

Realize you're greatly reducing the risk of a "vent with flame" possibility.

Lithium rechargeables.... Way too much to cover in one post. The dangers are worse compared to lithium primaries simply due to the fact that things can go very wrong during the charging process. It could be because of the charger, it could be because of the individual cells being charged up.

Honestly, it's like walking through a mine-field. If you've done the research, educated yourself to a great degree; you're crossing that mine-field with a map that shows exactly where each and every single mine is located. If you haven't done that, then you're marching across, blind.

When it comes to friends, family, co-workers (the average person) I won't gift them a light that runs off of Lithium anything. With the exception of a light that can function on alkalines or AA or AAA lithium primaries from Energizer. Since the lithium chemistry in those cells is different and safer.
That all makes sense. Could I have come up with it on my own? Of course not. Thank you for some points to keep in mind.

Seanzo

Newly Enlightened