Any other Ham Operators into Lights on CPF?

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ham since late 90's, my Pops was a ham nerd in college and we grew up with him having a little corner somewhere in the basement with rigs.
I admit I'm only a No-Code Tech, so some could debate how much of a ham I really am.. :p
Saw a great shirt at a hamfest once, "Without CW, it's just CB", or something like that.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
I been thinking about ham, but since flashlights and knives, and now a kid, have cleaned me out, there's no money left!

I'm one of the few who actually hold a GMRS license, so I may spring for a repeater in that area.

WQEZ628

redcar

Enlightened
Restricted Radiotelephone
GMRS
Amatuer Extra

Got the Novice in '88 and worked my way up to Extra by '92. So I had to get 20 WPM for my Extra, YUK! Work a little HF, 2 m voice, Mode J satellite, and do a little packet via the Space Station. Also enjoy Broadcast AM/FM/TV DX, scanner, shortwave and GPS. Did some LOWfer work, but not lately. My wife's an Advanced.

Nothing wrong with CB, did that for years. Still do on road trips.
Nothing wrong with Codeless Tech, welcome to the ranks.
Fine business on the GMRS, good luck with the repeater.

Red

Hornet

Newly Enlightened
Got my tech license this year now I'm trying to get this code stuff down. Just can't seem to find the best way to get my hard head to absorb it.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a ham myself, although my uncle keeps nagging me to get my license. HE on the other hand is CPF lite. He has a few, some I gave him (modded, of course).

He is Dan KB9GMZ in Lansing IL.

Jeff

magic79

Enlightened
Omega Man said:
I admit I'm only a No-Code Tech, so some could debate how much of a ham I really am.. :p
Saw a great shirt at a hamfest once, "Without CW, it's just CB", or something like that.

I love CW, but couldn't disagree more with the sentiment of that T shirt. Ham radio changes all the time. You passed the test, you are as much a "ham" as anyone.

KC9C

Walt175

Enlightened
magic79 said:
I love CW, but couldn't disagree more with the sentiment of that T shirt. Ham radio changes all the time. You passed the test, you are as much a "ham" as anyone.

KC9C

Now that's something I never heard a lot of! I'm to used to "real" hams looking down on us no-coders.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walt175 said:
Now that's something I never heard a lot of! I'm to used to "real" hams looking down on us no-coders.

Oh, don't kid yourself...there are a LOT of hams out there still that think no-code hams aren't "real" hams.

I did my 20wpm, but I have no opinion one way or the other. I just don't care. :)

JM-99

Aloft

Enlightened
I've been a ham for almost a quarter century...and with the serendipitous callsign of AL0FT. And any ham that 'looks down' on no-code tickets is fiddling while Rome burns . . . code is great for those that enjoy it, but we need some new blood in the ranks and what kid wants to learn morse code when his/her time is much better spent learning TCP\IP, satellite comms, various digital modes, etc. Welcome!

richpalm

Banned
Omega Man said:

Used to be a ham years ago but let my ticket expire... pretty unhealthy crowd where I used to live. :green: I lost any desire to talk.

Thought of making up a T-shirt "CW Sucks!" I see no necessity for the code and it drives folks away. No-code is a good thing.

Rich

GreySave

Enlightened
Another HAM here. Working with Skywarn, ARES, RACES, CERT, and our local Emergency Management Agency, so the X1, X5 X03, and currently on order L4 that you guys all convinced me I HAD to have TRULY come in very handy. As you have all said before, having the right light makes all the difference!

Alan
KB3DUO

kc2ouf

Newly Enlightened
Tech since 10/05.

I was disappointed to find so much childish arguing amongst the ARES crowd here. Needs to be less self-important and more focused on the mission at hand.

Haven't met any flashaholics yet in the area.

kc2ouf / Pete in NYC