Any vinyl record fans on CPF?

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been collecting them since early college though none of mine hold high value. I think the most I paid for any one LP was $75 for a Nina Simone "Little Girl Blue" in mint condition. Anyone else on CPF a fan of vinyl?

I've been giving some thought to selling off some of my collection in order to buy more flashlights with the $$. I'm not sure of the best way to go about this: I'm told ebay gets some hits on vinyl but I just don't want to sit down and value them all and write a description for each one, that's way too time consuming for me.

Last edited:

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link, I tried a search of "vinyl collection" but didn't see any relevant results. I suppose that "phonograph" would have been better suited to my query. :thumbsup:

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several hundred LP's that I've amassed over the past 30 years or so. Some of them I bought when I was a youngster, quite a few were gotten in trade for me converting them to CDR for the previous owners, in fact I got one of my turntables that way. The other turntable was a top of the line Technics when my brother-in-law bought it around 30 years ago, I paid him $100 for it an an old Marantz receiver about 15 years ago. I've also picked up a few dozen in the last 5-10 years, some were a little more collectible or the new "premium" versions of older stuff, others were recordings from the 80's I picked up at record shows and elsewhere. I don't listen to vinyl as much as I used to, but I still enjoy pulling one out of the collection on occasion and relaxing to the music.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got probably about 140 LPs, most of it from the 80s.

I think the only one that might be of any monetary value would be a Quiet Riot album featuring Randy Rhoads before he left to join Ozzy.

The ones that hold personal value to me are my Thin Lizzy albums.

My turntable gave up the ghost a couple of years ago and I haven't picked up a replacement yet to digitize some albums that never made it to CD.

jefft

Enlightened
Yep, I still even have my first vinyl album from 30 years ago. Phil Woods, Live at the Showboat. Awesome jazz album. It was never released domestically on CD. Recent purchases have been few and far between and my last purchase was Janos Starker's Bach Cello Sonatas.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is a Vinyl Record?

Just Kidding. I sold all of my Vinyl as soon as I received my first CD player. I never could stand all of the noise Vinyl produced after playing them a couple of times. Also being a musician it was a pain to go back and forth on Vinyl to learn a song. CD's changed all of that. The A-B repeat function was such a time consuming saver for the guitar player. I have now noticed that most of the CD players do not have the A-B repeat function, you can only repeat the whole song. My Hitachi CD player is over 20 years old and still works perfectly.

The lead singer in one of my early bands had a brother who owned thousands of Vinyl records. They filled record crates that filled a whole room. Every week on payday he bought at least 2, 3 or more new albums. Sometimes two of the same record. One for playing and one for collecting. I'm not sure what he ever did with all of them. Now you have my curiosity up. I will have to contact his brother.

Bill

Patriot

Flashaholic
My dad has a large classical vinyl collection. I boggle over it every time I see it because I grew up listening to it. I'm not sure, but I think he still has his original Marantz LP player that must be over 40 years old now.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Ahhhhh, the things we get rid of and then wish we hadn't!

I used to have...ohhhh, lets just say a LOT! Wooden crates all over the place. Used to consider myself an audiophile of sorts.

CDs came out & I starting trading groups of albums for far fewer CDs at a used record store in Phoenix. I thought I was getting a good deal, but of course looking back...maybe not so much! Well I would have had to store them & being in the military, move them all around the world. I thought it was time.

Many of those LPs were replaced by "greatest hit" CDs (so I didn't have to replace every LP I had! :broke: ), but there were some I still had to keep!

Used to put together some GREAT reel to reel tapes with various "B-side" cuts. Folks would say, "isn't this ...insert band/artist name..." or "what is this song, sounds like ...insert band/artist name...". I enjoyed that. (Yes I still put some mixes together on CDs, but not like my younger days.)

Nothing like pulling out a well taken care of LP, putting it on the platter & listening to that raw music! Yeah, CDs certainly have a wide frequency laid out on them, but they're just too perfect!

Stop it, got me reminiscing & all that...next I'll be thinking about my old cars & those girlfriends as well!! :whistle:

katsyonak

Enlightened
Ahhhhh, the things we get rid of and then wish we hadn't!

I used to have...ohhhh, lets just say a LOT! Wooden crates all over the place. Used to consider myself an audiophile of sorts.

CDs came out & I starting trading groups of albums for far fewer CDs at a used record store in Phoenix. I thought I was getting a good deal, but of course looking back...maybe not so much!...
Well, that's my story too... except for the Phoenix part ;).
Vinyl records was my first big buying addiction. I had lots of albums and lots of Maxi Single 12" records from the 80s. Unfortunately somewhere in the mid 90s I traded most of them for CD's. I did keep some of them, but most of them are long gone :(
There was something about those vinyl records that no CD/MP3 can ever deliver IMO.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd try Craig's list first.
I had ben searching for years without luck for a particular Belefonte song I found it and teh album on eBay for under ten dollars and it is in pristine shape.

Anybody else find listening to a CD the first few times strange?
The music just starts.
I finally realized that I had ben "listening" to the small noises a record makes on lead in.

Chuck289

Enlightened
Im starting to see bands put new albums out on a vinyl now. Like Metallica and Red Hot Chili Peppers. Seems like a gimmick. I hear people say they like vinyl records because they preserve the analog sound just as it was recorded in the studio. Makes sense for records from 80s 70s etc, before CD's. But if the band is recording everything with digital equipment and pro tools and all that, then whats the point of putting it on an analog format like vinyl?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
You have to spend some time reading about why vinyl is still highly valued (vs. CD) to understand the legitimate reasons. It is not gimmick.

Groups like Metallica that led the charge against pirating...to the point of strongly alienating many fans, now promote vinyl mostly because it is a revenue source not subject (on a practical basis) to pirating.

Then there are bands who release their work on vinyl because they recognize there is a segment of true audiophiles who continue to appreciate the unique qualities vinyl provides, and they want to provide their work to them on vinyl as an artistic expression. New works are frequently released as 180-220 gram vinyl.

I have always taken care of my vinyl albums. Kept them clean & used vinyl cleaning kits, replaced paper sleeves with protective plastic ones, stored them properly. Except for the few I made the early mistake of loaning to friends/family, all of mine sound as nice as the day I got them.