Anybody have an IPOD Nano?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I"m not sure where the confusion is about syncing multiple iPods. This is a no brainer, just plug them into the same machine and they will all sync with it.

you can't easily mix libraries from multiple computers on one iPod. It want's to be paired with 1 computer at any given time. But if you plug it into a different one, it gives you the option of tossing whats in it now and resyncing to the new computer. However, if the new computer you plug it into is already authorised by the iTunes store to play the DRM'ed content you might have purchased from them on your iTune, before it clears itslef out to accept the new library it will offer you the choice to copy any purchased tracks back to the computer.

But I guess thats besides the point, you can sync any number of iPods with the same computer.

gorn

Enlightened
I sync 5 ipods and an iPhone to one computer. I've finally gotten to the point where I can use itunes without wanting to throw my laptop out the window.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
um... just a question...

does your ipod sounds "powerful" or weak?

heard that ipods gives out weak sound...

I've heard people ask this question fairly often. There was a firmware update for some of the older ones a while back that raised the maximum volume level I think if I can remember correctly, but it was a couple of versions ago that they did that. Perhaps that model was too quiet before that update? I dont own one of the new ones, but have owned several of the old ones and currently have an iPhone and with headphones I never turn it up past about halfway as it's too loud. It also has plenty of juice to run any of the speakers or other devices I plug it into. i dont use the headphones that came with it though, have a nicer pair of in the ear ones.

So, as far as I can tell, the output levels are just fine. But I dont know what you're trying to compare it to. Raggie here has always said his were not as loud as other models, so perhaps it is a combination of headphones and perception? I dont know :)

gorn

Enlightened
I have an original 4g nano, 2 80gig videos, a 4gig new nano an 8gig new nano and an iPhone. None of them have weak sound. I have a work related hearing loss and still don't turn them up anywhere near full volume.

I am not an Apple fan, as I reread the above paragraph I shook my head and asked myself "where did you go wrong my son". Well Apple, anti-Apple crap aside, they make a nice mp3 player and phone.

Something I just discovered with the new nano's. If you embed lyrics in a music file it will display them. I don't think my older iPods did that, but it sure is nice.

Last edited:

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
um... just a question...

does your ipod sounds "powerful" or weak?

heard that ipods gives out weak sound...

iPods sold in Europe must give out only a limited sound level, to be in compliance with local consumer protection laws.

This was included with a firmware update some time back -- which, IIRC, some people installed even when it was not required, since the people where not in Europe, and simply updated every crap Apple threw out.

Even so, I think that the limit was always included and user switchable, even after the update. The only difference between Europe and the rest of the world being that the factory setting for the switch is ON when sold in Europe, OFF everywhere else.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
you guys heard of the brand meizu? i heard that their sound quality( of their M6 player with firmware) sounds better then the ipod and some other big brands.

never tried them...no money in pockets :p

gorn

Enlightened
I've never heard of meizu before. I looked up the M6, it is a nice looking player. With the hearing loss I have i'm afraid I wouldn't be able to tell the difference in sound between it and an iPod anyway.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
cNet did a review a few months ago where they actually plugged the little boxes into an audio analyzer and measured things like total harmonic distortion, and other such things. For the most part the top of the line boxes from the other major players and the iPods all came in within a point or 2 of each other. Meaning there was no difference you would be able to hear at all when playing the same files. Apple still ships their iPods with what I think are exactly the same headphones they shipped the very first iPod with. Even the Zune ships with better earphones (I think, they LOOK nicer anyway, never listened to them ;) but I like the in the ear design better) So definitely pick up some better headphones before you do a head to head with that.

The only exception in the cnet testing was the iRiver model they had which scored in the 60's range for the big test, vs 85 to 86 for the iPods and other high end models. Sorry, I no longer have that link but I think I'm remembering that properly.

So, bottom line seems to be that sound quality on any of the higher end models is so close to identical that it doesn't really matter. So pick the one that you like best! Play with the interface, the software, look at the features and choose based on that. Sound quality just doesn't look to me to be a concern unless you're cheaping out for a low end model in which case they really do sound worse. None of the iPods fall into the "cheaper" models... heh... even the shuffle scores up with the best of the rest.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Frankly, ALL earphones shipped with ALL mobile players suck, with NO exception. The Apple ones are slightly better acoustically than most competitors, according to most tests, but I practically never used them. Not only because they are not sound too great, but in ear plugs seems to fall out of my ears all the time ;).

gorn

Enlightened
Frankly, ALL earphones shipped with ALL mobile players suck, with NO exception. The Apple ones are slightly better acoustically than most competitors, according to most tests, but I practically never used them. Not only because they are not sound too great, but in ear plugs seems to fall out of my ears all the time ;).

I agree with that. I don't like in the ear type earphones. I have some Sony over the ear type, but they are real old. I need to spend some time at Fry's and check out some newer earphones. They must have 150 different sets there.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my Sony earbud things. They have a little rubber ring that makes them fit snug into your ear. They are currently the only Sony product that I own that I'm still using ;) Sony as a company has, I think, been going downhill a bit lately. Which probably explains some of the popularity of Apple products. Remember that it was Sony that pioneered the over priced, incompatible, locked in product/marketing system ;) So Apple has out sony'ed sony in making good, high end gear lately.

greenstuffs

Banned
I just bought a creative ZEN the new one i was debating between this and the ipod but i chose ZEN over ipod because i get more for my money. FM radio SD card support and recorder is what sold me besides being able to use as a thumb drive if needed.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the models except the touch I'm pretty sure still support mounting as a drive. At least the tech specs page still says that they do. They turned that off on the touch and the iPhone, probably just to make it more difficult for us to get our own software onto them. Why they care I dont know, but they sure seem to.