Anybody own a Lux FB1 Fat Boy?

Lux-RC

Banned
The FB1 is not yet available. Current estimated release date is "Q1 2013" but previous Lux-RC lights have taken longer than forecasted.

According to Golub's law, a carelessly planned project takes three times longer to complete than expected; a carefully planned project takes only twice as long :)

As for the specs, I have nothing to add to twl's expert's view. I'm fairly surprised that my work became known at CPF. Needless to say that it's a great honor for me the rather that the information about it is highly fragmented and hard to find on the web.

Last edited:

quazzle

Newly Enlightened
to whom it may concern...

I have released the build progress, you can now track it here
I will update the build steps/photos here

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Quazzle glad to see you came into this thread, I will place my Fatboy inquires in here from now on instead of invading your FL-33 thread

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Things have changed since the start of the year; Niwalker is preparing their 5,000 lumen MM15 for production as we speak - it features only two emitters, is smaller than a soda can, and will certainly not be anywhere near three grand..

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
:wow: IPX8 turbine motor... Looking at the cutaway of the flashlight is like studying the schematics of a jet engine.

A flashlight with this number of emitters (12 white, 1 red, 1 UV, locator lights) with the electronics to control them and active heat management... I don't think there has ever been any flashlight with this level of complexity ever (I may be mistaken, though).

If the build progress time-line posted by Mr Dolgov is current, the light is about 1/3 of the way done.

There should be plenty of time to mobilize funds... A lot of $$$. :D

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Things have changed since the start of the year; Niwalker is preparing their 5,000 lumen MM15 for production as we speak - it features only two emitters, is smaller than a soda can, and will certainly not be anywhere near three grand..
After reading this it sounds like the answer to my release date question is 2019

quazzle

Newly Enlightened
Any release date estimate for the Fatboy?

I don't have any exact deadline for it, but it's progressing, you can track it on my site.
I have there: all tasks/statuses, photos from the production (updated weekly)
I hope to finish it by Jan/Fab 2014, not sooner.

it also comes closely with another development so I have a dependency with it.

Last edited:

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
I should work for luxrc lol...I conceptualized a similar portable turbine cooled (technically still fan cooled) flashlight in 2007, but didnt deem it necessary as LEDs had not progressed this far yet. That's why you're a visionary and I'm not, I suppose.

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux-RC Fatboy FB1 Fatboy...will it EVER happen??

All last year I couldn't believe it wasn't talked about more...a light from the future, 10,000 lumens, 12 LEDs, the size of TM26, internal cooling fan, incredible looks, state of the art electronics & materials, scheduled for 2014!! How could a flashlight forum not be going nuts over such a light?? Hmm maybe the reason that there's no hype is because the light is a myth. Maybe the plan got scrapped, I hope not that thing looked incredible. But the webpage is the same exact static page that it was a year ago this project might be a wash

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Lux-RC Fatboy FB1 Fatboy...will it EVER happen??

I remember seeing the pictures of it last year. Looked really nice... but well beyond what I'm willing to pay for a flashlight.

archimedes

Flashaholic

Based on the quality of the FL33, I hope the FB1 project does eventually go into production :)

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

You starting a new thread about this every year?
Yes until I find out what I'm missing, this would be like a solar power forum not discussing an 80% efficient panel that has been announced. 10,000 lumens and smaller than a TM26 it seems like one hell of a colossal leap forward to attract zero discussion.

Ok that's all for now I'll re-post in 2015 to ***** about it some more lol

StarHalo

Flashaholic

Yes until I find out what I'm missing, this would be like a solar power forum not discussing an 80% efficient panel that has been announced. 10,000 lumens and smaller than a TM26 it seems like one hell of a colossal leap forward to attract zero discussion.

Colossal leaps take place in the manufacturing process, not the brainstorming process. Lux's website says a bunch of the light's visual details are machined, but there's no control board design or internals ready at all - this is a very bad sign for a device that's been in planning for a couple years. Worse yet, the technological bar has moved significantly since the planning stage, particularly with the introduction of the MT-G2 LED, which is going to soon give us 5,000+ lumen flashlights that are a fraction of the size/mass/complexity/price of the Fatboy. Lux is going to have to do some redesigning before the prototype is machined, more bad news..

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh that is bad news! I won't hold my breath then. Basically I was excited over something that small with 12 LEDs, an internal cooling fan & insane lumens. Yeah MTG2 is the king now i wonder if maybe we'll see something like this someday that would be 4-6 MTG2s instead...either way thanks for the update I'll now consider this light a 'someday' light instead of a light that is expected sometime soon

Newguy2012

Enlightened

FB1 isn't just about lumens. It also has a lot of different lens on it. It's gonna be a long while before that becomes a finish product. The FL33 v3 isn't complete yet. How long have they been working on it?

Latest posts