Anyone buy the Armytek Tiara A1 or C1 yet?

nimdabew

Enlightened
Mine is going to be here tomorrow. I really hope the holder doesn't suck as badly as some in this thread are describing. I will never take mine out since it is going to be a dedicated headlamp, but I would be a little more than bummed if the headlamp holder ripped within a few months since it is going to be on my head every morning and night while at work. Alaska is dark during the winter, so I will be putting it through the wringer as far as cold temps and work load go in the next few months.

ETA: I am probably going to buy a Zebralight H302W as a backup however.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Mine is going to be here tomorrow. I really hope the holder doesn't suck as badly as some in this thread are describing. I will never take mine out since it is going to be a dedicated headlamp, but I would be a little more than bummed if the headlamp holder ripped within a few months since it is going to be on my head every morning and night while at work. Alaska is dark during the winter, so I will be putting it through the wringer as far as cold temps and work load go in the next few months.

ETA: I am probably going to buy a Zebralight H302W as a backup however.

I don't think it will be ripped just by use.

On a side note anyone knows how to tell V2 from V1?

Woods Walker

No, my switch does not light up. From my understanding, only the wizard v1.5 pros light up, none of the tiara series.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

So I am guessing the blinking switch is only on the V2 pro? Mine does blink etc. I wish they sent it out with a manual.

edit

I also noticed they changed the magnet tail cap from plastic to metal judging from an early video review. Mine is metal.

Last edited:

chadvone

Enlightened
The V2 pro has battery voltage as 4 100% < 50%- 3 flashes< 25% - 2 flashes< 10 - 1 flash The V1 blinked out the voltage, 3.8 , 4.2 etc etc.

This is what the manual said at one time. Mine does not have any voltage flashes

You can go to Armytek website. Under support , discontinued models. There is links to the manuals.

Last edited:

nimdabew

Enlightened
Just got mine. User interface is slightly confusing for 30 seconds but pretty good after. I won't be taking my headlight mount on and off, but it seems OK. Headband requires a bit of stretching out. Mine fits a lot better after extending it to the max diameter and pulling until it nearly stops. Mode memory is nice though I am not thrilled about the switch. Beam profile is great and has little artifacts and other whizbang words.

Real test will start in a week when I get to Bethel, AK in the morning and evening. It will be dark. Oh yes, there will be darkness :)

Woods Walker

The V2 pro has battery voltage as 4 100% < 50%- 3 flashes< 25% - 2 flashes< 10 - 1 flash The V1 blinked out the voltage, 3.8 , 4.2 etc etc.

You can go to Armytek website. Under support , discontinued models. There is links to the manuals.

Thanks for the help but I can't get it to actually go into the so-called battery voltage battery check mode. All I get is strobe and beacon. Also I have read both manuals. Here is a primary difference I seen between the old manual and newer one.

"Multicolor State Indication. Shows the battery level by short flashes every 5seconds. There is no State Indication in OFF state and Firefly modes.Low Battery Indication. In ON-state shows low battery level. When it is <25%,the color LED shows the warning level once a second and the main LEDflashes 2 times once a minute. Critical level <5% is color indicated twice asecond and light output decreases to Firefly1 and then switched off."

But I can't get any verification on this. Also the metal tail cap and lanyard seems different but again no verification. I thought this would be easy info to get but apparently no. I wish they gave me a manual with the light saying what version it was. :(

Last edited:

Woods Walker

chadvone

Enlightened
WW, that sure looks like a V2 to me. The Pro's have flashing switches. I just checked my Tiara Pro V2 and it doesn't have the voltage flashes in the loop with strobe and a beacon...... Manual must be wrong.

Will yours take a palm strike to the tail??? Mine will shut off.

If you using protected cells in these, make sure you let you light Know. Or you could be left in the dark.
Happened on hike last night. I have weak eagletac 16340 that tripped. Of course I had extra lights.

Woods Walker

WW, that sure looks like a V2 to me. The Pro's have flashing switches. I just checked my Tiara Pro V2 and it doesn't have the voltage flashes in the loop with strobe and a beacon...... Manual must be wrong.

Will yours take a palm strike to the tail??? Mine will shut off.

If you using protected cells in these, make sure you let you light Know. Or you could be left in the dark.
Happened on hike last night. I have weak eagletac 16340 that tripped. Of course I had extra lights.

Mine is 1XAA and according to the manual (for whatever that's worth) it says only set the battery type if the cells are NOT protected. That makes perfect logic as the cut off voltage would be higher than the voltage of an NiMH/Lithium primary/alkaline. I think they dumped the flashing main LED method of checking remaining power because it wasn't accurate in favor of the flashing power switch which is on the wizard and V2 tiara if I am interpreting the posts in this thread (had to extrapolate based on anecdotal reports). What's amazing is the near total lack of even basic information about this light. That's the manufacturer's fault. In any case I think the flashing power switch is a give away as to the version. I will once again ask if anyone owns V1 and if the power button lights up.

To answer your question. No a palm strike will not turn the light off however I am using a Duraloop 2500 mAh.

To ask the question again.

Does anyone own a V1 1XAA Tiarra Pro? If so does your power switch light up aka flash green etc like the wizard?

chadvone

Enlightened
My point about telling it Li-ion. If you leave it for AA (Eneloop, alky). And install a 14500 Li-ion, the button light will flash green until it trips the protection and then your in the dark. If you tell it Li-ion button will flash green orange then red as it dies. Mine also gives a Main Led flash then goes to a firefly mode.

Woods Walker

V1 1AA owner here. No flashing switch unfortunately :/

So that finally solves that for sure. Anyone reading this...

V1 pro = no flashlight switch.

V2 Pro = flashing switch.

My point about telling it Li-ion. If you leave it for AA (Eneloop, alky). And install a 14500 Li-ion, the button light will flash green until it trips the protection and then your in the dark. If you tell it Li-ion button will flash green orange then red as it dies. Mine also gives a Main Led flash then goes to a firefly mode.

Ok. Thanks. I will keep that in mind.

chadvone

Enlightened
Just did a run time test on my wife's Tiara C1 Pro with Titanium Innovation CR123 At Main 2 70 lumens.
I got 6 Hours 51 minutes.

Also running Prime Pro A1 with Energizer Ultimate lithium. It is past 7 hours still going.

I noticed button blinked green, then red, then main led flashed all with in 30 seconds. I didn't get a yellow flash warning. Maybe its the nature of the luthium cells ????

Woods Walker

Just did a run time test on my wife's Tiara C1 Pro with Titanium Innovation CR123 At Main 2 70 lumens.
I got 6 Hours 51 minutes.

Also running Prime Pro A1 with Energizer Ultimate lithium. It is past 7 hours still going.

I noticed button blinked green, then red, then main led flashed all with in 30 seconds. I didn't get a yellow flash warning. Maybe its the nature of the luthium cells ????

Lithium primaries have functioned differently than primaries in other lights so maybe that's the case. I am working on a comparison review/video for the HL50 vs. Tiara in actual field use aka during my night hikes and runs. The HL50 can do

CR123 60 lumens 9H 45 min.
1XAA (guessing eneloops) 55 lumens 6H 20 min.

Not surprised the Tiara using 1XCR1123 is doing 70 lumens for 6 Hours 51 minutes.

Woods Walker

After 6 days of ownership and maybe two or 3 night hikes The Tiara Pro A1 V2 is dead. The only thing I can think of is if the light got accidentally put in unprotected 14500 MODE but not sure how that would happen. I don't have any 14500 to test that theory out.

Edit.

That was the issue. See later posts for solutions.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

I am trying to work out why this thing failed so radically after hardly any use aka 2 hikes and 6 days of ownership. Does anyone know if accidentally putting an A1 pro V2 to 14500 power supply will totally kill the light if using NIMH. I again tested it with NiMH, alkaline and lithium primary. All I get is flickering power switch and flickering moonlight mode as seen in the video. Also it won't even stay on even to flicker in moonlight unless I hold the button. I don't think the light was mistakenly put in 14500 mode and even if so that should not totally kill the light as it would be happening all the time for people who don't own 14500. I don't ever remember having a headlamp just fail like this so trying to figure it out. Then again my personal Armytek failure rate is rather high. One out of 3 actually working is kind bad IMHO.