Anyone have the Olight M31?

River Runner

Newly Enlightened
I'm really looking for a weapons light with decent throw and spill. When I say throw, I don't mean being able to see a beam in a tree at 100 yards...I mean having the confidence to pull the trigger on a large boar and know that it's not an angus - a costly mistake.

That said, the Olight M31 looks like it might have potential. I like the fact that Olight provides remote switch accessories. I searched but didn't find any reviews. Surely someone has the light...

I'm also up for recommendations about other lights, even customs. Requirements are: weapons mountable, good throw (100 yard minimum), some spill, really prefer pressure switches, the more lumens the better. If I can't shoot them hogs I want to singe their hair. I've waited a year for 47's S1200 - I've given up there.

RR

Jannis

Newly Enlightened
I'm really looking for a weapons light with decent throw and spill. When I say throw, I don't mean being able to see a beam in a tree at 100 yards...I mean having the confidence to pull the trigger on a large boar and know that it's not an angus - a costly mistake.

That said, the Olight M31 looks like it might have potential. I like the fact that Olight provides remote switch accessories. I searched but didn't find any reviews. Surely someone has the light...

I'm also up for recommendations about other lights, even customs. Requirements are: weapons mountable, good throw (100 yard minimum), some spill, really prefer pressure switches, the more lumens the better. If I can't shoot them hogs I want to singe their hair. I've waited a year for 47's S1200 - I've given up there.

RR
Hi I just got it the other day, and is xtreme happy with it, it can reely throw, it easily outthrows my lumapower mrv q5 and that whit a mutch bigger hotspot, cant say enough how impressed I am whit it, it makes the fenix tk40 look dim in comparisation.

SCpooh

Newly Enlightened
Hi Jannis,

Can you provide more details? Does the M31 have a cutoff time for high mode?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'm very interested in how it compares to their SR50 which costs a lot more.

HIDblue

Enlightened
+1...:huh:. Definitely would like some more info about the Olight M31. Any chance of some beamshots Jannis??? :whistle:

Jannis

Newly Enlightened
Hi Jannis,

Can you provide more details? Does the M31 have a cutoff time for high mode?
No timed cutoff, but it certanly gets hot quick, so it depends on the outside themperature. but if you can manage to keep it cool it will run.

SCpooh

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Jannis. Are going to run any rechargeable batteries in it? Wonder if flat tops will work?

Jannis

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Jannis. Are going to run any rechargeable batteries in it? Wonder if flat tops will work?

Flat tops will work fine, can use 2 18650, and 2 18500 whitout the ekstendtion tube, but mine ultrafire 18500 is a tight fit, and will just work in hi mode, is a little bit to long, and the tube don`t make contakt whit the changing part of the head.

Jannis

Newly Enlightened
And now the lux numbers, mine lux meter tend to mesure a bit lower than others, its a cheepo. so i have compared it whit some known fenix light so you can see the differents, and also the new Itp R01.

First the itp. spot 8220 lux, spill 45 lux, ceiling bounce 11.5 lux.

Fenix TK11 Spot 8510 lux, spill 96.4 lux, ceiling bounce 15.4 lux.

Fenix TK40 spot 11900 lux, spill 142 lux, ceiling bounce 32.6 lux.

Olight M31 spot 32800lux, spill 243 lux, ceiling bounce 53 lux.

Spot and spill is mesured from 1 meter, As you can see, there is no doubt that the Olight is the brightest :twothumbs

HKJ

Flashaholic
I have the M31 and have been doing some test on it.
It works very well on 2x18650 and can keep a stable output, as long as you can keep it cool!
The throw is very good, it looks like it will match or even surpass the JetBeam RRT-3.

buzzz

Newly Enlightened
How does this light compare to the thrunite catapult v2 as I cannot decide between those two ;)

HKJ

Flashaholic
I have not been out testing it yet, just done a fast comparison indoor, but I expect it to easily surpass M2S and probably surpass both RRT-3 and Catapult V2 in throw (They are very close in performance).
You can check the other lights (except M31) here.

learner-gr

Newly Enlightened
I think more for M2S because it can use the CR123 and rcr123 with no restriction and the M31 says (Note: we don't suggest using RCR123A batteries since they can not offer enough power under high Ievel).

Please if you can post some beamshots comparison between the two : M2S - M31