Anyone think you're weird?

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
My friends/family do give me strange looks :duh2: when they see me with a flashlight in each hand.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
People think anything they can't wrap their thinking around as weird, but will treat those who don't share their particular interests as weird too. In other words the only way not to be viewed as weird is to mirror the preferences and thoughts of the person judging.

I see my differences from others neither in the light of inclusion or weirdness, but just the way things are. When someone talks to me of something I have a hard time understanding, I think it's more interesting than weird.
I had a friend inquire why in the world would I be interested in flashlights

So I went to the internet and found lists of hobbies

So everyday I emailed him about 100 hobbies

After a week I got an email saying he now understood

My wife used to collect little bells - who cares what someone likes if they enjoy it??
Love it - great post!
A flashaholic is only weird until the lights go out.
:D

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I think the most of my friends think I am a bit weird. Always carrying with me several flashlights isn't that normal. Neither use a flashlight as soon as I come to a dark place, instead of putting on the room ceiling light...

Last edited:

DJSPEC

Newly Enlightened
i go to my studio production class(college) and let people borrow my Fenix LD10 and LD20, then i use my tk35 to illuminate different things in the studio during set up... then i run the light show during the class... all my classmates laugh at me for having so many lights. and then i say "well who do you turn to when you need a flashlight.... and then whos the one who is prepared..." its always funny... and yeah i think they think im weird... rock on!!!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
EVERYONE seems to think I'm weird, but they mostly mention it when I whip out a flashlight.

I personally think everyone who isn't prepared is a weirdo. How can you think of yourself as better than those you consider weird when you always have to borrow stuff from other people? Is "normal" a synonym for undisciplined? I also think people who carry umbrellas are weird: it's bulky, you can easily forget it somewhere and won't protect from the wind and slanted rain, plus it drips for hours on the floor after use. Then they think I'm the weird one for wearing Aussie tropical-storm proof gear and 3 flashlights in a thunder storm while they struggle to keep a half-folded umbrella that's about to reverse shape over their heads and their pants are totally soaked :shakehead I'm suddenly proud to be weird! Weirdness rules, man!

Heyjowee

Newly Enlightened
Them: "You play with flashlights? How old are you? 4?"

Me: *click

Them: "Whhhooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! I wanna play!"

davyro

Enlightened
Them: "You play with flashlights? How old are you? 4?"

Me: *click

Them: "Whhhooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! I wanna play!"

:devil:I've had that at work when a generator stalled & put us in complete darkness on a construction site.I lit up a safe way out & some.When we got out everyone was can i have a look at that.hahaha

liveris flashlights

Newly Enlightened
Hello, in my opinion we are not weird, it's not strange or anything else.
I and my friends we are all hunters, fishermen, divers and outdoor fitters in general. Other people works at night or at dark places. Because of that flashlights are tools, something usefull in our pockets.
I am sportsman, hobby-man and flashlights for me are not only usefull tools, they are also love, passion, care, collecting, way of living.

Raze

Enlightened
We're just better-prepared by EDCing lights. Until technology or genetic mutation/evolution granted us built in night-vision, I will never be without my lights.

To be honest, I have this fondness for flashlights as it is a comfort item - having it on my person and feeling its reassuring touch makes me feel safe and secure.

Having said that, I think that people who are unprepared as weird.

tacticaltony

Newly Enlightened
i think you are weird.
in order not to let people (incl. close relatives) think that i am weird, i sometimes hide my FL stuff before people come over for a visit. it *is* weird to show off one's EDC lights in public at any time but it's *not* weird to have a keychain flashlight: people carry all kinds of keychain pendants incl. photons, flash thumb drives, and nail clippers.

i hide my 1x AA light in my other pocket (deep carry pocket clip). nobody can think that i am weird because nobody sees me playing with my 1 or 2 pocket lights.

Thinking myself about it .. i do think that it *is* weird to have a 2nd flashlight (e.g. Fenix LD10) in your trouser pocket in addition to the 1x AAA keychain flashlight.

you are weird (sorry Rasto),
i am weird,
we are weird.

the life of a flashaholic we share
If being prepared is wired then it's a good thing to be wierd. Too many people* worry about fitting in and they become someone their not. If 2 is 1 and 1 is none, then I'd prefer 2 lights on my person at all times. We just are more aware of the tremendous advantage a flashlight can have in the right situations. And we know how easily S.H.T.F.

Last edited:

LostCove NC

Newly Enlightened
Weirdness generally implies behaving outside of the "normal" bounds of society. And judging by the dependant, unprepared and often quite foolish nature of society, I think we are all doing just fine.

Shreklight

Newly Enlightened
I've never been called weird because of flashlights, just an occasional " Really?" That being said, whenever someone who knows me needs a knife or some light they look at me. Hahaha my brother recently said if he ever gets stranded somewhere he hopes I'm with him.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Weirdness generally implies behaving outside of the "normal" bounds of society. And judging by the dependant, unprepared and often quite foolish nature of society, I think we are all doing just fine.

+1 Exactly :thumbsup:

If turning up for a new assignment I'll always pocket an additional "beater" EDC just in case my colleague hasn't had the foresight to bring one...

Richub

Enlightened
A lot of people frowned at me when I say I carry several flashlights with me. Well, I'm past the age where I care about what others think of me. ;)

On several occasions I 'got my revenge', by providing needed light in darkness. The people I helped don't frown at me anymore... :) Check out this post about my latest 'revenge'.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
is a comfort item - having it on my person and feeling its reassuring touch makes me feel safe and secure.
yepo. werid you are. sent from my iphone using tapatalk

Raze

Enlightened
yepo. werid you are. sent from my iphone using tapatalk

Well, I'd love to get a CCW permit to EDC a gun, but until then I will have to shoot out lumens instead of Hornadys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please pardon typos.

netman

Newly Enlightened
other: Damn! I can't see a thing in here
nitecore: BLING!
Other: WOAH! Can I see that?!
me: No
Nitecore: goes back in pocket
LOD from other pocket: I could have done that.
me: yeah, I 'm wierd