Anyone tried the minimalist lifestyle?

markr6

Flashaholic
Yeah, the "neat" scanning system has been a godsend for me. I'm down to ONE filebox of critical stuff (birth certs and so forth where you have to retain the original) and that sits in a fireproof safe. My wife is still struggling with shredding receipts and bills after they've been paid and scanned so her desk still has quite a pile of paper.

On a related note, I really wish EVERY retailer would ask you if you want a receipt. Not many places do this. Home Depot asks you if you'd prefer it to be emailed, but I never tried that. My bank asks before printing. My local hardware store asks, but after they print it...but that's better in their trash or else it ends up in my pocket, then the washer, then the dryer which pulverizes it into a million pieces. Or it ends up in my car. Many other people litter.

Receipts for a $2.99 can of spray paint or a $0.89 cup of coffee drives me crazy!

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
<snip>

Receipts for a $2.99 can of spray paint or a $0.89 cup of coffee drives me crazy!

agreed, but, if you have ever been the target of an IRS compliance audit where you have to prove everything financial or financially related, and I do mean everything, you would be scanning those receipts assiduously! In retirement my brother served as a taxation advisor to a lot of senior citizens. he said that even he would have problems with a compliance audit. The IRS uses the resultant compliance info as a basis for their more targeted audits. An IRS compliance audit is supposedly based on a totally random-based selection of who to audit.

- eg: notarized marriage certificates from the State (church certs do not count). same for birth/death certificates.
- eg: In a compliance audit, the IRS adds all deposits in all of your bank accounts together, states that the total is your yearly income. Prove otherwise.... ouch! Not simple at all! Each sum has to be traced from/to! I have heard this one from a CPA as well. Terrifying to pull that info together!

Hence the strong preference for me is to either scan the receipt, or obtain *.pdf bank statements and store those on a hard drive that is NOT normally spinning. and have an offline backup of that hard drive as well!

Edit: banks are shortening their time for access to online statements. Some are down to one year only!

Last edited:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure that it falls under "minimalist" vs. "simplifying", but for the past year I have been simplifying my use of coins.

We all have seen how the "change pile / change jar" can keep growing, and it is a real pain to sort through to get rid of it. For the past year, I have been using only the nickel (5 cent) and quarter (25 cent), and the result is really surprisingly effective.

You might think that the key is to stop using the penny ( 1 cent), but the real key is to stop using the dime ( 10 cent).

Go through your change pile, pull out the dimes, and try to keep from bringing any home. The result will surprise you.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I am not sure that it falls under "minimalist" vs. "simplifying", but for the past year I have been simplifying my use of coins.

We all have seen how the "change pile / change jar" can keep growing, and it is a real pain to sort through to get rid of it. For the past year, I have been using only the nickel (5 cent) and quarter (25 cent), and the result is really surprisingly effective.

You might think that the key is to stop using the penny ( 1 cent), but the real key is to stop using the dime ( 10 cent).

Go through your change pile, pull out the dimes, and try to keep from bringing any home. The result will surprise you.
What happens to all the pennies if you only use nickles and quarters?

BTW, many people I know have pails of pennies sitting around. It's amazing how many you accumulate. Now that the copper in pre-1982 cents is worth something like 3 cents, I'm not at all inclined to cash in what I have.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

BTW, many people I know have pails of pennies sitting around. It's amazing how many you accumulate. Now that the copper in pre-1982 cents is worth something like 3 cents, I'm not at all inclined to cash in what I have.

Yeah, copper used to be practically worthless.... Now you have fricking junkies breaking into public works to steal copper pipping. Honestly, I can't blame those who horde real copper pennies.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realize that it is common thinking to keep focusing on the penny as a way to be more organized, but believe me, the life reward benefit comes when you stop using the dime.

Try it for 90 days and see what you think. It is a completely non-linear effect.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

There are no more pennies being made in Canada. When you pay cash, the number is rounded to the nearest 5 cent: X.X1 or x.x2 = x.x0 and x.x3, x.x4 = x.x5, same principle between 6 and 9 cents. The banks will still take them in, but if you ask for cash, I wonder what happens to your last 2 cents. :thinking:

I realize that it is common thinking to keep focusing on the penny as a way to be more organized, but believe me, the life reward benefit comes when you stop using the dime.

Try it for 90 days and see what you think. It is a completely non-linear effect.

We also have coin dollars and 2 dollars. I use everything quarter and up to pay for small stuff or things under 10$ as soon as I have enough. If you think pennies pile up, you can pay for your vacation fast when coins go up to 2$. It drove me mad, however, so I figured use the big change to pay as I go and put the small change in a machine to get cash back. Sure, it costs 10%, but the loss is worth my hourly pay in time and it does take quite a while to pile up over 20$. Maybe I'll roll the dimes and use it to help pay for beer at the corner store (yep, that's where beer comes from over here), but that would only leave nickels... I think I'm too lazy to go that route at this point! Rolling a nickel roll or pay 20 cents? Rolling a dime roll or pay 50 cents over 5$? Definitely a matter of how many pounds of change left in the pot.

On a non-related note, but still in the spirit of the thread:

I know some guys (from a multinational company I prefer not to mention) that do service calls all over the Americas and they pretty much spend their entire work weeks traveling to different places by plane. One of them just lives off his suitcase, staying wherever his last call was for the weekend. His belongings are all in that one suitcase. He only needs to pay for his food and entertainment on the weekend, clothes cleaning at a laundromat (most hotels have one) and the hotel room charge for the weekends. The thing is these guys travel so much, they all have privilege cards for most hotel chains that add up points like crazy, so this one guy basically only has a 400 to 600 steady expense a month (usually for a suite!) plus food and laundry and the occasional car rental. His company cell phone covers all his phone needs and the company pays for travel on friday once they're done, so he can go see his family whenever he wants or just plain travel to anywhere he'd like to spend the weekend. I'd probably be seen in South Beach most of the off-season time if that was me, but I need a roof for all my flashlights :D.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sheer number of types of euro coins, while politically, and perhaps mathematically correct, is what originally drove me to seek more simplicity. 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 1 euro, 2 euro - all in common use, are really challenging for a short term visitor to use quickly.

You are exactly right though, coin dollars and euro have the effect of your change going from "not that much" to "high value" fast. It can be a real problem.

My plan for the next trip to Germany is to only use the 5 and 20 cent, and 1 euro coins.

Similar to the concept of using only the 5 and 25 cent coins in the US, it is so much faster, easier, and - lighter to carry around. Not as obvious, but it also makes the coin value increase with diameter, which is disrupted in many currencies with the dime.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
It drove me mad, however, so I figured use the big change to pay as I go and put the small change in a machine to get cash back. Sure, it costs 10%, but the loss is worth my hourly pay in time and it does take quite a while to pile up over 20$.

The commercial change machines at grocery stores charge fees. Some credit unions have no fee machines. Bring in as much as you want of any kind and deposit the proceeds right into your savings.

Treeguy

Enlightened
I look at things differently now on whats important to keep.

Been reading "Walden" have you? "Simplify, simplify!" :cool:

Henry had it right when he said we become the victims of our possessions. During the last year I have gotten rid of far more stuff than I have acquired. And as the days go by I seem to own less and less. Even gave away most of my library, just kept the classics I can`t live without. Like "Walden".

Less is better.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cataract - try moving toward using just the 5 cent, 25 cent, and 1 dollar coins only and see if that helps. While I don't particularly like the idea of a dollar coin either, at least this avoids having to deal with 2 dollar coins as well.

My change box is so much easier to use now since the dimes are removed. Their smaller size, while seemingly a benefit, just helped jam the coins tighter together, making it difficult to quickly grab some.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
A bit of background:

My father worked for International Paper mid-70s through the mid-90s - back when corporate America would still pay to relocate mid-level employees around. He often describes a company event after the last move to Texas where a woman did a double-take after seeing his name tag, introduced herself, then proceeded to mention how she managed relocations and our family held the company weight moved record three times in a row.

We had a lot of miscellaneous stuff when I was a kid. A 1949 Chevy Carry-All, a cast-iron wood-fired kitchen stove that sat in the garage (or rather "the shop" as it was known), and dad's extensive collection of tools and woodworking equipment (including a number of freestanding machines), and a neverending array of miscellnaeous parts/fasteners/oddities whose origins were not always clear.

But the icing on the cake had to be the contents of what was often referred to as the aircraft carrier. This was a heavy frame that was about 4' tall, 8' wide, and ran nearly the length of the garage. The interior housed the bulk of dad's considerable wood collection. On the sides were a constantly-changing variety of shelves. On top was more wood, a variety of shelves and drawers, and most of the rest of dad's wood collection.

Oh, and the wood collection itself. Dad got his start working at in a laboratory testing various fabrication techniques for cabinets, plywood, and the like - the samples were tossed once testing was complete and were still plenty useful. He then worked at a facility with an abandoned cabinet factory in the early 1980s where they had tons of fine-grained old-growth pine and cedar that had been written off by the accountants, thus was free for the taking. From there it just snowballed and he started grabbing anything interesting or potentially useful. I suspect that dad had several tons of wood at the high point.

It's probably not helping things now that dad is working at a plywood mill and can buy sheets of plywood from production overrruns at true factory cost and has a true standalone shop to house it all.

So it goes without saying that I have some hoarding tendencies, albeit not to the degree that I'd be remotely interesting to the producers of that TV show. I either attach a sort of sentimentalism to an object or envision some potential use for it. Either way there's a reluctance to dispose of many things - although the latter is stronger.

At a previous job they had this glorious scrap bin full of all sorts of interesting things with potential future value - discarded obsolete/out-of-spec parts, electronic components, trim stock, and other goodies that I plundered. I've also relieved construction sites of useful materials from scrap piles (benefit of owning a truck).

After the folks moved out of the Dallas area, I "inherited" a lot of this junk via a storage unit they left behind and I assumed responsibility for. I've since moved twice and the necessity of paring down the junk collection has helped this process. I'm currently engaged in some de-cluttering throughout the house now that I have some time to spare and deciding that there's never feasibly going to be a use for a lot of this stuff so I need to dispose of it, donate it, or sell it. Some stuff is set aside for the sake of sentimentalism or feasible future use, but most is being donated or disposed of.

It's also difficult to escape the siren call of consumerism in our image-driven society with flashy new goods getting cheaper year after year. I've largely accepted that more stuff won't make me happier without serving a specific purpose. ie, I don't buy a new flashlight just because - I need an application for it first. I've recently gotten into cycling and have resisted the urge to upgrade components until I identify some deficiency with the current setups. This thinking not only saves money and reduces clutter, but forces one to focus on activities other than acquisition.

I'm also familiar with the "tiny house" movement and find it fascinating, but I'm a bit too entrenched in my current residence and have a few too many interests to pare things down that much. Perhaps in another 10 -20 years.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
The commercial change machines at grocery stores charge fees. Some credit unions have no fee machines. Bring in as much as you want of any kind and deposit the proceeds right into your savings.

Cataract - try moving toward using just the 5 cent, 25 cent, and 1 dollar coins only and see if that helps. While I don't particularly like the idea of a dollar coin either, at least this avoids having to deal with 2 dollar coins as well.

My change box is so much easier to use now since the dimes are removed. Their smaller size, while seemingly a benefit, just helped jam the coins tighter together, making it difficult to quickly grab some.

Since we got rid of the pennies, I only have nickels and dimes in my coin "basket". It normally would have been ripe for an hour long coin rolling session by now, but it actually only has a small layer in it. It probably is worth about the same as a full basket with pennies, though... What a change getting rid of those dirty smelly coins no one cared about! Minimalist lifestyle is also a nationwide affair!

LanthanumK

Newly Enlightened
In the next few years, I plan to try the minimalist lifestyle, e.g. living out of a tiny RV pulled by my V6 Ford Explorer. As we are moving in a few months (yes I'm 19 and I still live with my parents :D), I have already consolidated my belongings somewhat, discarding almost all old stuff and electronics parts that I had laying around. After I finish junior year exams I will further consolidate my stuff, including the gear shoved in every crevice in the Explorer, to the point where it can all fit in the trunk and back row of my Ford Explorer. I decided to go minimalist to stay independent and debt/rent-free on a rather low-paying job in the near future, despite having 3 years of college education. My dad says I'm pessimistic.

No one at home understands why I would pay $80 for a SF, and still use the $10 phone that I had for the past 4 years. Suffice it to say that I use the light more than the phone. My $10 per YEAR plan is great.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think she was the one that related a story about being broken into once before. She kept her laptop with her and had very minimal stuff at her apartment. The perp went through great lengths screwing up the door jamb to get in. He found very little to take. The cop that made the report told her it looked like he totally cleaned her out, she told him nah he got about 3 or so items. The cop was bewildered. lol

For me, if push comes to shove, I could make do with a XL North Face Base Camp duffel bag of stuff and a smartphone. People actually need very little.

Last edited:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been reading "Walden" have you? "Simplify, simplify!" :cool:

Henry had it right when he said we become the victims of our possessions. During the last year I have gotten rid of far more stuff than I have acquired. And as the days go by I seem to own less and less. Even gave away most of my library, just kept the classics I can`t live without. Like "Walden".

Less is better.

Age is definitely a motivating factor in seeking out less. Too much time and energy tied up in upkeep. Consumerism has just had its way with everyone for a good while.

Full Power

Newly Enlightened
Indeed, starting is the hardest part. Keep at it!

I'm definitely not a hoarder...I live in a one-bedroom apartment, and there is TONS of extra space to store stuff. While I don't methodically go through everything, anytime I open a box, I do look through and see if there is anything I don't use/want. I have moved a couple times, and that helped me unburden more than anything...if you have to transport it, that is definitely a good motivator to get rid of it.

If you need more motivation, just think of all the good you can do for other people by getting rid of unnecessary stuff. Donate books to your local library, donate clothes to Goodwill or similar, even sell off collectibles you don't want and donate the proceeds to a charity. And if you have children, they will thank you too. I know someone who had a hoarder dad, and he literally spent two YEARS of his life (every weekend) sorting through his father's belongings after he died (there were valuables and bank info, etc., so he didn't want to throw anything away until he went through it. Don't make your kids do that...

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sheer number of types of euro coins, while politically, and perhaps mathematically correct, is what originally drove me to seek more simplicity. 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 1 euro, 2 euro - all in common use, are really challenging for a short term visitor to use quickly.

You are exactly right though, coin dollars and euro have the effect of your change going from "not that much" to "high value" fast. It can be a real problem.

My plan for the next trip to Germany is to only use the 5 and 20 cent, and 1 euro coins.

Similar to the concept of using only the 5 and 25 cent coins in the US, it is so much faster, easier, and - lighter to carry around. Not as obvious, but it also makes the coin value increase with diameter, which is disrupted in many currencies with the dime.

As much as you try you will fail,my suggestion put all your unwanted Euro coins in the little charity envelope usually provided in your seat pull down area where the in flight mag is,ask the trolley dolly for one if it is not there.

scout24

Flashaholic
I'm not ready to try it, but I'll paraphrase. Not sure exactly where I heard it but: "You only truly own what you can carry while running." (Sort of quoted... :) )

Spork

Enlightened
I've enjoyed reading everyone's response. Thanks for posting! My basement was difficult to navigate before I started. After many car loads of donations and ebay sales I have a huge stack of empty totes and a mostly clear basement. My Wife has a lot of things she won't get rid of so I have that consolidated in a corner. Most of the house doesn't look much different but it would be much easier to move and now its easier to store and find household items. I will always have various things that need to be donated or sold but the bulk of this project is done.

Digging through some things has also sparked interest in a few hobbies that I started with but didn't get very far. I have a 8" dob telescope that I cleaned up the mirror on and read up how to collimate. I hadn't used it in a while mostly because I was to lazy to learn how to collimate and my Wife threw up on my planisphere so I needed to buy a new one. I was also digging through some old cb gear figuring out what I wanted to sell. I always wanted a ham license and could have easily passed the test but never got around to it. I'm going to rectify that. I don't know if it will end up being a major hobby for me but just having a basic 2 meter ht would be great for emergencies and to take with when traveling.

Now that the house is clear I can focus on other things.