Arc-AAA beta test and general topics

Status
Not open for further replies.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
Thank you beta testers! Looking forward to hearing from all of you (some have not posted yet).
Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes, I better get on the ball and pick mine up. I've got a temperature torture test lined up and if it survives, it will survive any temp extreme.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i admit thease look cool im adicted to my arc,s i have there so small

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Here are part of my test results:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The flashlight appears to be very durable and sturdy, and it is. Ordinary flashlight accidents should not be enough to do it in. I administered the smack test on it (ten whacks against the corner of a concrete stair; five whacks against the side of the tailcap and five whacks against the side of the bezel), and found absolutely NO damage. No optical or electrical malfunctions were detected either.

I also performed the "drop test" as it was asked of me to do so. I dropped the Arc-P ten times on a concrete sidewalk (two times from pocket height when it was on and three times when it was off; and two times from chest height when it was on and three times when it was off) and found only some very, very, VERY minor damage to the end of the bezel from when it struck the sidewalk face-first; no optical or electrical malfunctions were detected.

It has a Type III hard anodized ("HA-III") finish on it, so it should stay new-looking even if it goes up against keys, coins, or other flashlights in your pocket or on your keychain.

The Arc-P is water-resistant AND waterproof too. When I dropped it face-first in a large (16oz) glass of water and left it there for one minute, dried it off with a paper towel, and opened it, no water was found inside, and it still functioned properly.

Another one of the experiments I was asked to perform as part of beta testing was the "cold" "hot" test, to determine if the rivet in the bottom of the Arc-P's battery holder would wiggle loose.

For the "cold" part of this test, I placed the flashlight in the freezer at -6°F (-21.1°C) and allowed it to cool for one hour. This is the lowest temperature I can obtain, even though the Arc-P should be reliable to -40°F (-40°C). I then attempted several battery changes on the cold flashlight, and turned it on and off several times.

The "hot" part of this test was done by heating a coffee cup of water in the microwave oven to 147°F (63.9°C), placing the Arc-P in the hot water for enough time to allow it to heat (approximately one minute), then attempting several battery changes on the hot flashlight; paying special attention to that rivet at the bottom of the barrel. The maximum temperature specified is 150°F (65.6°C).

In both parts of this test, the rivet did not loosen that I can detect, and I performed several battery changes while the Arc-P was cold and while it was hot. And at least once during each part of this test, I held the barrel vertically (straight up and down), inserted the battery in the barrel, and allowed it to slam to the bottom. I also turned the flashlight on and off a number of times. So I believe it passed this test.

I turned the Arc-P on and off 1,200 times (both on and off, so 2,400 twists of the bezel) in about ten minutes, and no failures or malfunctions were detected. I realise that real-life cycling is far, far, FAR more than 2,400 twists, but my hands were pooping out, so I stopped at 2,400 twists.
This test was conducted over several hours, not all at once. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool info craig but i do bet ya are tired thats a lot of turning on and off.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gimme! Let the torture end /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif

Wilkey

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny thing, Lebkuecher sent me a copy of his review before he posted it and asked me to proof read it. Nice of him to do that but not necessary. I wrote him a quick reply saying it looked fine to me and just before I sent it I noticed the "gentle" typo. I meant to say something but I got distracted, forgot about it and sent the email. Oops. I am sorry Steve. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif You handled it pretty well though.

On a more serious note; the next two items on the roadmap are the pre-order and the first day of shipping. I would like to take orders soon but we want to be sure we have a good handle on the production first. I don't want to take a bunch of orders and then make people wait for a long time to have it shipped. If I could keep the worst waiting down to less than 3 weeks that would be preferred. Of course, this doesn't change when you actually get the light, but maybe you will be less angry with me this way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Of course, the pre-orders could totally bomb because no one wants the light. In that case, shipping will be quite snappy!

Peter

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any chance of getting in as a beta-tester?
I've got all the colors of the AAA you guys have EVER made /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif Those are my Arc's in my avatar. Does that qualify me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate saying no to you guys. This includes the very nice emails I have receiving asking to be included on the beta testing list. Thank you, we have the list of beta testers already selected. And most of those have already received the lights to be tested.

How were people selected to help us with the beta test? Just about every person selected was involved in a previous beta test for us. For awhile, I wasn't in as close of contact with the CPF community so when I went looking for testers, I went with people I already knew.

Soon the beta test will be over and then the final "test" begins.

Peter

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehe, nice work Peter and thanks for keeping us plugged in.

BTW, I don't want to be a beta tester...I want to buy some of these! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wilkey

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
Of course, the pre-orders could totally bomb because no one wants the light. In that case, shipping will be quite snappy!

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif Yeah, right. Like that's going to happen. Let me know when I can place my order.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't taken beam shots but from the naked eye, the difference in brightness between the new and old arc is significantly greater then the difference between the new Photon Freedom and old Arc. I'm excited for this light and excited to be using it with lithium's L92. I would consider six hours of relatively flat runtime still to be relatively economical even for a two dollar battery and it makes the light as light as a feather. I hope to see runtime graphs with the flashlight comparing alkalines to lithiums.

[ QUOTE ]
Sean said:
Here are some comparison shots between the previous Arc AAA standard version and the new Arc-P:

[
arcaaa4beam2.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
when will they become avail for general (CPF) consumption? and how much are they going to cost me.

doug

segan

Newly Enlightened
are all the beta test models the premium version? is anyone testing the rev4 standard version? i'd like to know how the rev4 standard version compares to the old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts