Arc-AAA beta test and general topics

Status
Not open for further replies.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wash test results. Cold cycle with darks, then into the hot cycle/bleach with the whites. Then into the drier. Still ticking. Later this evening, it will go in with the lights through a warm wash cycle, then into the drier.

BTW, my EDC AAA standard has seen several inadvertent wash/dry cycles with no ill effects. I don't expect the newer versions to be any different. This is kinda getting boring. I'm starting to think about launching it out of a twelve guage. But launching it into something "soft" without losing it. That's the challenge. Also, how to do it. Take some birdshot out, place AAA inside, close the shell securely, chamber then fire into soft backstop? Peter, what do you think? Too extreme? I'm not sure it will survive but so far nothings fazed it including more throws against the tile floor. I haven't been able to get the rivet loosened either after probably several hundred twist on/off cycles. I'm on my third cell since the other two got crushed.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking the same thing. The only difference is shooing it into a pool and putting something around the led to protect it from powder burns. I also thought it would be a good idea to take two pieces of cardboard the same diameter as the barrel and put holes in the center for the flashlight so it would be centered and not scrape on the way out. Looks like we both live in Mesa so if you have a shot gun and would like to try it I believe I can come up a place to do it. It would also be nice to have a video camera.

I don't recall Peter ever stating that shooting one of his flashlights out of a shot gun would void the warranty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anti_Candescent

Enlightened
How about a centrifugal force test? Long string, swing it in a yaw direction, smack something hard with it. Tall building drop, car crush, submerge it in something nasty. Lets get creative here. These tests are wimpy. File down the lug a bit, see if it will conduct electricity and live.

BTW: A guy from my platoon isn't walking anymore because some fool shot a 3 round burst into water...nearly 180 degree turn on the bullet that hit him. Don't do it. Shoot it at tree or something.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
koala said:
If there will be a Premium, then will there be any marking that distinguish from the Standard?

[/ QUOTE ]
The standard will have "ARC" on the side of the head (bezel); the premium will have "ARC P" in the same location.
These insignia are laser inscribed, so they should NOT very easily rub off.

[ QUOTE ]
Anti_candescent said:
...submerge it in something nasty. Lets get creative here...

[/ QUOTE ]
The only nasty liquid that is readily available is urine (pee).
Whomever does this test would want to use a disposable container, and have rubber gloves and alcohol or other disinfectant handy to douche the flashlight off with after the test is completed.

watt4

Enlightened
has the terminology been determined? how cpf'ers will refer to new arc aaa's?

new-style? gen 2?

seems simplest to let plain "arc aaa" be the originals.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, thats going to be interesting to hear back from ya'll with the gun idea. Please videotape that. I would not expect it to work afterwords, just cause, ehh, I dont know, just cause I guess. But if it does still work, thats incredible...I want one of these.

Cameron

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
We may have to rename this thread from "beta test" to "destructive test". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anti_Candescent

Enlightened
I was thinking more along the lines of gas or an oil of some kind, Led_Museum. Would gas eat the led? Also thought of: Load it into an empty paint can, load can into paint shaker, run for a few minutes. That would be a lifetime of abuse in a very short time, not just a few hard throws onto the ground.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
1.put arc on anvil
2. beat with sledge hammer till crushed
3. wonder why you did that

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be interested to know how it stands up to dust and ash (fine particles) and how easily it is to clean stuff like this out of it.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lebkuecher said:
I was thinking the same thing. The only difference is shooing it into a pool and putting something around the led to protect it from powder burns. I also thought it would be a good idea to take two pieces of cardboard the same diameter as the barrel and put holes in the center for the flashlight so it would be centered and not scrape on the way out. Looks like we both live in Mesa so if you have a shot gun and would like to try it I believe I can come up a place to do it. It would also be nice to have a video camera.

I don't recall Peter ever stating that shooting one of his flashlights out of a shot gun would void the warranty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A place to do it would be part of the challenge. All of the places in the desert around me are posted no target shooting. Really don't want to go to Usery shooting range since it would be too restrictive for what we want to do. Good idea of the cardboard as I never thought about the anodizing scraping the bore. I'm open to ideas on places to go.

Anti_Candescent

Enlightened
Put it through one of those "no shooting" signs.

You'll have to chronograph it, for testing reasons. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Also check its drop at 100 yards. Make a sabot from foam or plastic. Wouldn't the pressure rip apart the little spaces in cardboard? Do you have the means to load an empty shell? Also remember you don't want it perfectly sealed in the barrel...very dangerous.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good points Anti candescent

This is going to require some thought. If we don't use water as a back drop then we need to come up with something else. If anyone has any ideas then please share. Also need some ideas on protecting the led.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the protection of the LED, use either some chewed gum, or even something like sticky tack.

What about getting one of those little kiddy pools, stick that inside a large cardboard box. Fill it up, then just cut a hole big enough for the shotgun, shoot away. That should protect you from any chance of richochet.

WHATEVER YOU DO, PLEASE BE CAREFUL AND KNOW GUNS ARE DANGEROUS!

Cameron

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK guys, didn't want to get carried away. Rest assured, we're not going to do anything stooopid. I was just thinking out loud but now I'm really getting gung ho about doing this. If I do decide to do this, it will be towards the conclusion of the testing. It will require some thought insofar as protecting the light from the "launch" as well as the "landing".

Anti_Candescent

Enlightened
Wet phone book is the standard for stopping a bullet. Please, please don't use standing water of any kind to do this. A long cylinder like the Arc could do very strange turns and twists in the water. You could do it 100 times and be fine 99 times, but, that one time is all it takes. It takes away from the test, also. You want something to STOP it fast. You must also consider that it will likely tumble after it leaves the barrel, and could veer greatly from where it was pointed. I'll load you a 12 gauge shell, no shot, with the right kind of plug for this, if you want to really do this. I've already thought about a sabot, too....AND if you're really going to do this, you might not want to pull the trigger with your finger. Mount the gun and use a string, would assure your safety.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha, ha, you guys are too much. Reminds me of the commercial I saw as a kid when they fired BIC pens from a gun and they still were able to write with them afterwards.

I think it's fairly well established that the battery will be the weak point when it comes to impact testing with the Arc. Now here's a thought. The lithium L92 batteries are a lot lighter then alkaline counterparts. They might prove to be more durable upon impact.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Anti_candescent said:
...I'll load you a 12 gauge shell, no shot, with the right kind of plug for this, if you want to really do this...

[/ QUOTE ]

Just might have to take you up on this. After talking with Lebkuecher, we're going to take our time and do this safely. I haven't taken a shotshell apart but I do reload for rifle and handgun so I'm somewhat familiar with the concepts. I don't think I want to do this with a battery in the tube. Less mass means less impact damage. We want to subject the Arc to harsh conditions without going to extremes. Soft impact is what I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts