Arc AAA LE Brightness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
bullzeye, arc lights are regulated, cmg have only a step-up.
i don't know if the ultra's are ha3, but arc is
arc is completely waterproof, again...i don't know about cmg

timmy8151

Newly Enlightened
I've had a regular AAA for about 5 months now and I love it. Well, I went to the mailbox today and found that my order for my LE's had just come in from Vicomptel. I must say that I am impressed with the light compared to the regular AAA. I also like the nifty belt clip that comes with the LE. I'll also have to give props to the ppl at Vicomptel for having the best prices on LE's and also a good ship time.

JohnG

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
bullzeye, arc lights are regulated, cmg have only a step-up.
i don't know if the ultra's are ha3, but arc is
arc is completely waterproof, again...i don't know about cmg

[/ QUOTE ]

In this thread, you can find this quote:

Glow Bug
Flashaholic
07/24/02 01:00 PM
"Just got off the phone with Tony at CMG. He states the CMG ULTRA-G IS FULLY REGULATED. They have a patent on the new circuity. They will be made in a black finish for the general consumer market shortly. The consumer version will NOT be type 3 finish at this time, however: it may be next year. If you want the type 3 finish, I would get em while you can."

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
can you verify this?

several well-informed people have stated recently that it is not regulated...

JohnG

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
can you verify this?

several well-informed people have stated recently that it is not regulated...

[/ QUOTE ]
No I have never disassembled one, however,
I bought two of the Ultra-Gs last July and have put several hours use on each. They are still on the original batteries and still very bright.
The CMG website says they are regulated and waterproof.
CMG
County Comm says they (Ultra-G) are type III hard anodized. County Comm

The runtime graph suggests that it has sun/moon regulation very similar to the Arc AAA and Arc LS1.

Kill-O-Zap

Enlightened
My very first LED light, and the one that got me into all this, was an ASP Sapphire, blue. My next LED was a white PT (Impulse?) keychain light, a company giveaway, not in the box. My immediate reaction at the time I got the PT was: "this blue LED is ok, but it's not as nice deep blue as my other blue light" I honestly didn't know it was being passed off as white. Some time shortly thereafter, I read a post from Peter about someone returning a white AAA thinking he had been sent a blue in error.

Well, things progressed from there. I've learned to live with blue LED's and calling them white. But whenever I show one off, the uninitiated "common folk" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif insist that it's blue.

Now, to the topic at hand.

I have one of the original LE's, goes way back to even before Chemkote'ing. I recently compared it to a latest-model 3.1 9200mcd standard AAA. I expected the 9200 to be much brighter than the older LE (which I suppose must be 5600, or maybe 6400mcd, not sure). Indeeed, the 9200 was brighter, but not nearly to the extent that those numbers would suggest. Certainly not enough to make a practical difference.

But there WAS a significant difference in the color. The LE has the well documented slightly greenish tint to it (which I don't particularly love) but I can't imagine anyone sending it back saying "you sent me a green instead of a white". But the standard 3.1 I compared it with was as blue as that first PT of mine was (or as I remember it).

Also, the LE has an amazingly smooth beam, and the non-LE had the same artifacts that you see in your typical 1-LED lights.

I am guessing that beam centering, LED positioning, fit and finish, and other variations, exist in both LE's and standard AAA's. I don't mean to put down the standard AAA, it's an outstanding product, but to me, based on a sampling of just one of each, the much older LE is still a cut above the most current standard AAA. [I know nothing about the newer LE's, I should point out. They could be better, or they could be worse.]

The quest continues for a TRULY white keychain light. And for MUCH more brightness. But for now, the LE still rules.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
I've got an LE on the way, and I already have the Ultra-G. Maybe I'll do a side-by-side comparo shortly (I think it's been done before, but hey, what the heck).

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have one of the early LE's and put up against a v3.1 LE the only difference that jumps out at me is that the newer LE has a broader beam.

Zeppert

Enlightened
I saw a SHINY clip on the Arc LE that I just received and it is horribly matched to that flashlight. As soon as I received my backordered LE last week, I opened the package took out the light and instantly said Eeewww in regards to that shiny clip attached to my LE. Sure it serves its function but GIVE ME A BREAK! That shiny clip on my beautiful LE?! What's going on here?! Is this a bad dream or something? Well needless to say.. it went straight in the trash. Not that I don't want a clip; I do. But you will not catch me showing off my LE with that thing attached.

All I can say is Peter Peter Peter what were you thinking?

Zeppert

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gifThumps up for the try though, Peter.

Now I officially own four LE's.

My wife and I frequently go for walks in the evening. I have two of them in velcro sleeves and attached to my walking shoes and I had one on the side of my hat. Well,.. now I have finally balanced the hat out with the other LE so I have quad beam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . My wife thinks I've lost it (although she hasn't said so). I'm going to have her take a picture in the evening so I can post it in CPF. You have to see it! Of course you may think it is a bit wild. But it lights up the path WELL! Going to post it soon.

THEluminator

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered an LE (well premium..but close enough). It's led is perfectly centered and not too far in the bezel. In regards to Zeppert's comment, i took of my clip as well because i thought it made the light look awkward. I love the light though!

Status
Not open for further replies.