are crock pots useless now?

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cook a roast in a crock pot for 6 hrs vs an instapot for 30 mins or whatever. There's a difference. I have both.

Pressure cookers have there resurgences throughout the decades. They were big in the 80s as well from my memory as a kid. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

nbp

Flashaholic
I've never used an InstaPot. But Crock Pots are super for keeping things hot for parties. Easy to scoop out your pulled pork or whatever while it sits for an hour or two. I dunno if Instapots do that. Also when I go to work all day sometimes I want the food to cook for 8 hours while I'm gone.

Poppy

Flashaholic
with instant pots being sold?
raggie,
useless is the wrong adjective. They are still useful.

Can an instant pot replace a crock pot? Yes.

For those who don't own one, an instant pot has a slow cooker setting.

Just as if you have a convection toaster oven, you don't need to buy a "Air Fryer"; if you have a "Instant Pot" you don't need a crock pot.

Instant pot is a convenient cooking tool, although I use it infrequently. One can set how long you want it under pressure, and then let it sit at warm for hours. I made a mean beef stew with it a few times (cooked in Guinness or cooked in Port wine). I bought it to make a Thanksgiving ham, which I cooked in apple juice... yum yum.

I made corned beef and cabbage in it... slow cooker style.

A glass cover is available, if you want to see your food cooking when not cooking under pressure, but it is not needed, to use Instant Pot as a slow cooker.

As a side note: I gave my crock pot to my son.

Last edited:

electrolyte

Newly Enlightened
I don't use mine on a weekly basis, but if it broke, I'd be looking for another, 7-8 quart programmable version.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
A solid 7-8qt crock pot is still as useful as it ever was.

A good way to slow-cook a smaller roast, or make a stew. I've done a small batch of my homemade soup in the thing, once or twice, though I prefer a traditional soup pot for that (which, IMO, comes out tastier and is of better quality).

Of course, I've still got cast iron. Prefer a high-grade enameled cast iron to plain. Cast iron (enameled or not) so nicely handles the heat and evenly applies it to the food. Hard to beat, assuming you've got the time.

A pressure cooker is, basically, just a crock pot that adds pressure to the mix in order to reduce cooking times. I don't mind saving time, here and there where appropriate, but not at the expense of quality of the food. Which, from what I've seen, is better and tastes better when cooked in a more traditional manner. Back in the '70s I did a bit of cooking with pressure cookers. Wasn't that impressed. I suppose the added electronics and whiz-bang features on modern pressure cookers might be an enhancement, but they're still pressure cookers. IOW, "low and slow" is a lauded method for good reason. I haven't heard of the "lightning quick 'n' dirty" phrase as being the way.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
our instapot replaced a crock pot, we did use the CP but its insert started flaking the Teflon, we could have bought a new insert, but after it sitting in a cabinet for a year with no use, we decided we have no need for it, we asked people we know if they wanted it free, no one wanted so we trashed it. never missed it.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use mine very often to make chili beans and Mississippi venison roast. I've tried cooking chili every way possible and nothing melds those flavors in like a long slow cook in a crock pot. I have an insta pot and it's been used maybe 5 times.