ArmyTek Barracuda (XM-L2 U3, 2x18650/4xCR123A) Thrower Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES+

LeftThumb

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Selfbuilt, Kuna,

I just ordered some 3400mAh 3.7V Panasonic 18650's from Amazon, just to be sure. I had been using Tenergy 2600 mAh 3.7's on both the Predator and Barracuda. I did go through all the modes with the head tightened and loosened to be sure I wasn't somehow stuck on the lower power modes. I think the light is simple in that way if I simply tighten the head all the way, I should be on max, right? I took some good looks at targets with both beams from the Predator and Barracuda. The beam pattern seemed a little tighter on the Barracuda but intensity was the same or less. The acid test was the live fire where practically the Barracuda has to allow me to see the target more clearly at a longer distance, as per Seflbuilt, which it didn't. All the testing was done in the desert with a near full moon and clouds. I spoke to Armytek today but their support person was out. I have the same feeling towards Armytek as others in that they seem really solid. My Predator is my favorite weapon's light outdoors so I'm hoping I'm just doing something stupid. The Barracuda was purchased off Amazon.

Great forum guys. Really appreciate the info and discussions from members here.

LeftThumb

Newly Enlightened
I replaced the batteries with brand new Panasonic 18650's and the same result. Hot spot intensity is the same or less than the Predator. I'll be requesting a return from Amazon. Disappointing for sure and a waste of ammo.

LeftThumb

Newly Enlightened
For those curious Andrew and Amanda tested my Barracuda and found the same thing. For some reason the output was low. It was about the same or slightly less than the Predator 2.5. They're sending me back a new Barracuda. Excellent service. One more try now! Also, Armytek did contact me a few days later and asked I send them a picture or video. I didn't do this since by then I had already sent the light back to A and A.

LeftThumb

Newly Enlightened
Yep. Lost a little in shipping but their response was quite fast and hassle free. I just got the new Barracuda sent back priority and so far it works like a champ. I can tell for sure now that this is a more powerful light. Interestingly, the texture of the coating of the body seems a little different. Will be testing in the field soon. Thank goodness. I've had a run of bad luck with double 18650 lights. I had a MX3 Triton 1200 that died after 5 seconds. That was through Optics Outlet who took care of it promptly also.

shooterSVT

Newly Enlightened
Hey all. Selfbuilt, awesome review as always! I'd love to be a fly on the wall as you review one of these!

Anyway, I was in the forest of the Upper Peninsula (Michigan) at night off roading, and sure enough, it became a flashlight contest! I was awe struck by a buddies Olight M2X and knew that I needed a "thrower"! I'm in love with the M3XS, but then found this review. Problem is, I can't find the U3 model anywhere.

Armytek lists the LED for their "Pro" model as a XP-L High Intensity. Not sure if that's the U3 or not. Anyway, anyone that's gone looking for this light, please post if you've found it. The finish looks great, and it might throw farther with less spill, but I can get the Olight with Prime shipping in two days, so that is a certain plus!

Thanks in advance for any comments or help.

Todd

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all. Selfbuilt, awesome review as always! I'd love to be a fly on the wall as you review one of these!

Anyway, I was in the forest of the Upper Peninsula (Michigan) at night off roading, and sure enough, it became a flashlight contest! I was awe struck by a buddies Olight M2X and knew that I needed a "thrower"! I'm in love with the M3XS, but then found this review. Problem is, I can't find the U3 model anywhere.

Armytek lists the LED for their "Pro" model as a XP-L High Intensity. Not sure if that's the U3 or not. Anyway, anyone that's gone looking for this light, please post if you've found it. The finish looks great, and it might throw farther with less spill, but I can get the Olight with Prime shipping in two days, so that is a certain plus!

Thanks in advance for any comments or help.

Todd

The XM-L U3 version featured in this review was a limited release model of Barracuda V1, I believe.
I guess you can say we're in V3 now, so you'll unlikely still find V1, and even more unlikely to find a limited release version of it.