Armytek Wizard Pro XHP50 V3 field use review.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
An Armytek flashlight is like a Mercedes Benz luxury car: both have desirable features and poorer than average reliability.

doelzzz

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have the same problem like me?
The light is flickering at firefly mode, not at the other mode since its too bright to seen by naked eyes

update
so the seller sent me the new one after that, no flickering again with the flashlight, just some minor issues like the optic doesnt perfectly cut on circle, and there is looks like a "dead pixel" on bottom of the optic if seeing from above, but the function is still allright.
IMG_20170501_012219.jpg

IMG_20170501_012020.jpg

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Not sure what you are showing there. If you think the glass isn't properly positioned in the bezel dunk it inside a cup of water.

edit. IMHO best to find out if there is a problem at home than in the field but that's just me.

Last edited:

doelzzz

Newly Enlightened
Not sure what you are showing there. If you think the glass isn't properly positioned in the bezel dunk it inside a cup of water.

edit. IMHO best to find out if there is a problem at home than in the field but that's just me.
what i mean is the bead lens cutting edge is not perfectly circle
IMG_20170501_220715.jpg

and some of the bead lens surface looks foggy if you looked it from upside

IMG_20170501_220807.jpg

maybe im just too OCD lol, but like i said before, its just some minor issues about fit and finish, the function is still good

Woods Walker

When I go home will check both of mine for that. A submersion test would show if the bezel is comparamized. Not sure but guessing the O-ring is under the window.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

I checked out my XP-L version (the XHP is at the other house). I don't see anything funky with the glass. Maybe Email Armytek or give it a dunk. It's not OCD to be concerned about the window as water intrusion is not something you want. I bet AT would know if there is an issue. They have a sub forum on CPF.

Genzod

Banned
Hi Woods Walker. Seen some of your youtube channel before coming to this forum.

My other half wants a lamp like this. Some kind of morbid fascination with overwhelming power, (Whoo-oop--SNAP!) haha.

I think thismight be the reaction she expects from such a lamp when encountering other hikers in camp and on the trails:

tumblr_n1knm9faYn1s67vyfo9_r1_250.gif

From the Doomsday Machine (1967): Star Trek Original Series. Commodore Decker kamikazes the weapon of mass planetary destruction with a shuttle craft by flying down its throat!

Woods Walker

I remember that. Hard on the outside but soft and weak on the inside. I mostly run the upper firefly and bottom tier two modes. Hardly ever use the bright turbo.

KickingAsh

Newly Enlightened
Just got my Wizard Pro USB. Whats the best 18650 batteries to get? Saw some 10 amp batteries.

Seems like the USB will take awhile to charge via the USB.

So I might buy a portable charger for it

Genzod

Banned
Just got my Wizard Pro USB. Whats the best 18650 batteries to get? Saw some 10 amp batteries.

Seems like the USB will take awhile to charge via the USB.

So I might buy a portable charger for it

Inspect the lens closely. Any cracks? I heard some people complaining theirs were cracked near the bezel when they got them. It's a great headlamp, and I recommend them. Just make sure you didn't get a damaged unit.

I don't know too much about batteries yet, but I heard sticking with name brands is safer. I also heard people saying good things about the pink Sanyo/Panasonic unprotected 18650s. Maybe you could read up on them with the search bar. You'll need a battery that can deliver a minimum 7amps to get turbo boost to function properly according to your manual.

Last edited:

KickingAsh

Newly Enlightened
Inspect the lens closely. Any cracks? I heard some people complaining theirs were cracked near the bezel when they got them. It's a great headlamp, and I recommend them. Just make sure you didn't get a damaged unit.

I don't know too much about batteries yet, but I heard sticking with name brands is safer. I also heard people saying good things about the pink Sanyo/Panasonic unprotected 18650s. Maybe you could read up on them with the search bar. You'll need a battery that can deliver a minimum 7amps to get turbo boost to function properly according to your manual.

No cracks. Pretty bright. Does get hot in the turbo mode.

It does take awhile for it to charge via USB but its worth having especially in the woods where I have a Solar charger and power banks.

Im debating on buying couple more 18650s and a good charger.

Any suggestions on the charger? Specifically one that can charge via USB

Woods Walker

No cracks. Pretty bright. Does get hot in the turbo mode.

It does take awhile for it to charge via USB but its worth having especially in the woods where I have a Solar charger and power banks.

Im debating on buying couple more 18650s and a good charger.

Any suggestions on the charger? Specifically one that can charge via USB
Nitecore F1 is my preferred USB mobile lithium ion charger as it is totally solar compatible. Also works as a
power bank, voltage tester and will pass through charge.

Genzod

Banned
how long will it take to charge a 18650 with it?

I was hoping someone would come along with a little actual experience with this Nitecore battery charger to answer the question, but I'll give it my best shot.

The Nitecore charges at one amp. Your base charger in the lamp charges at 0.75 amps (slower = safer and better for battery), so figure 33.33% faster.

If it takes you 5 hours to charge the 3200 mAH unit from complete empty with your AT base charger cable, anticipate 3.75 hours (multiply 5hrs or whatever the time is by 0.75). But you never want to let your li-ion battery deplete that far because it degrades it, shortens the life and makes it less safe. You don't want that thing blowing a fit on your head.

Calculating a near exact time is possible for most of the geniuses on this forum, but it depends on things I don't know, like the internal resistance of your particular battery, the capacity and how low you let the battery discharge. Also, I believe (guessing from what I read and remember) each unit modifies the charge rate or voltage at some point in the charge for safety/durability reasons and that affects time to charge as well. So I think it is easier to just make a comparison between the specified charge rates of each charger. Knowing one, you have a ballpark figure for the other.

ionescu

Newly Enlightened
Hello! I'm just about to buy this flashlight to strap it to my dji phantom drone to fly at night but I just realised that the tail cap magnet will mess the drone's compass, probably wont even let me fly it, so I wanna ask if maybe I can power up the wizard using a wrap of aluminum kitchen foil taped to the light, instead of the tail cap.

Woods Walker

Hello! I'm just about to buy this flashlight to strap it to my dji phantom drone to fly at night but I just realised that the tail cap magnet will mess the drone's compass, probably wont even let me fly it, so I wanna ask if maybe I can power up the wizard using a wrap of aluminum kitchen foil taped to the light, instead of the tail cap.

The magnet is easily user removable as the end of the tail cap unscrews for access to it.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

The magnet is easily user removable as the end of the tail cap unscrews for access to it.

Yes, it is easily removable on the non-usb rechargeable Pro version(now Elf) only though.

There is also a non-magnetic tailcap available as an accessory. I recommend it for your multicopter as it is quite a bit smaller, lighter, and is less then $5. Here it is...

https://www.armytek.com/products/ac...ap-for-armytek-edc-and-multi-flashlights.html

Another option is to go with a Zebralight instead. They are significantly lighter(almost half as light) and every gram counts on a multicopter. They are also more reliable and have a more advanced and efficient driver which gives you better thermal regulation, less heat, and longer runtimes.

Last edited:

jeff.rybak

Newly Enlightened
Very good review - I have my eye on this headlamp for sure. We currently use ZL headlamps, but this one is very appealing. Thanks again.