Audition for Superlights Shootout (REDO)

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya, the Newbie Thor may be brighter and cheaper, but in the long run the Blitz will be cheaper because the Thor can run up hospital bills due to broken shoulders and backs pretty quickly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

They should have "Thor Inusurance". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

But, I don't like the short runtime of the Newbie Thor. The hour-running time of the Blitz seems much more appealing. (and so does it's weight factor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
the newbie boosted thor would not be brighter for long.

the dl50 hid bulb driven at 50 watts will put out more than 5000 lumens even when it has a thousand hours of use on the bulb.

a hid thor is much more practical and usefull.

my mom has been using my 35 watt hid thor for the last four days to
light up a large building that she has on the back of her property - it has no power.

she points it at the wall nearest to where she is working.

she can not beleve how bright it is and does not understand how it can run so long on it's battery.
after I build my dl50 50 watt one I should give her the 35 watt one.

she is using it as a tool to do work.

I do not think she would find the stock thor or the newbie mod as usefull.

I stil think the 3x newbie mod is great

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
As an interesting aside, my 35W HID THOR has picked up an unusual nickname - the SAD light.

SAD is Seasonal Affective Disorder....My wife was talking about getting a SAD lamp to see if it would improve her mood in the winter - I looked into them - they're basically $250 flourescent lamps with color correction. Hmmmmmmm. I whip up a diffuser for the HID THOR and Viola! Portable, rechargable light with very similar properties.

That said, I'm trying to get her to call it "Grendel"

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
from Beowulf, Grendel represents darkness and evil. kind of a pun. Occurred to me recently as a better name than Peewee.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
markdi: HID is very nice, but very $$$. If $$ wasn't a factor, then I'd go HID even if it wasn't as bright, because the whiter light and runtime would be great. But I gotta go with bang for the buck. I saw pics of a HID thor vs stock and the stock looked brigther and had less artifacts (darkshadow) in the beam. Not sure how it looks in RL though. I haven't found any cheap HID on ebay yet. I keep looking.
MaxaBaker: bah, the heavy thor makes you stronger!!

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL!!!! That's true!!!! But I like sitting in front of my computer all day playing/looking with lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm not "dissing" the THOR, I really love it. But be honest, Your out in a dark area and you are lost. What would you want: a heavy, low runtime Thor, Or a light-er, long running HID light?

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
my hid thor is brighter than a stock thor.
and it has less artifacts in the beam.

I do have an un opened virgin thor.

I guess I could charge it then compare them.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
a phillips 85122 bulb is 3200 lumens

a dl35 is 3600 lumens

a dl50 is 5300 lumens

the under driven bulb in the thor is around 2400 lumens
(2900 lumens at 13.2 volts at the base)
at maybe 3000k or so color temp.

so with a 85122 hid bulb you gain 800 lumens and it is whiter(higher color temp) and you gain a lot of run time(40 to 42 watts power consumption vs 86 watts for stock thor)

and there is that kool buzzing sound from the ballast when you first fire up a hid light.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok I compared my mom's hid thor(used to be mine-I built it) to a stock black thor

the stock thor is quite a bit dimmer and it has a very yellow beam.
so any one thinking a stock thor is as nice as a hid thor is wrong.
and yes the stock thor is fully charged.
this stock black thor from costco has the most beam artifacts and the crummyiest reflector I have ever seen.
I will be returning it for a different one.

my mom has all ready called wanting her light back.

she is a closet flash ahollic now

I kidded her about wanting to swap the 3600 lumen phillips dl35 bulb for a 3200 lumen phillips 85122 bulb.

she better not make fun of my lights any more.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plus, the Thor HID runs 2 HOURS on a charge (and doesn't slowly dim as the stock Thor would).

IsaacHayes,

On ebay look for car headlight assemblies (from wrecked cars). I've bought 2 (one for 65 and the second for 50) and have had no problems with them (even after hooking them up backwards the first time-sparks flying). After you gut the light, you often have several spare incandescent bulbs-but once you go HID, you won't go back.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
my mom's hid thor(before the hid mod)

had a perfect round hot spot.

no rings in the beam.

a killer reflector.

she got a nice light - dl35 bulb and the best reflector I have seen yet.(out of 4 thor's)