Availability of Zetex components

gewe

Newly Enlightened
I would like to build a LED driver circuit, to modify a torch. One of the reference designs from Zetex (as described in application note DN63) looks like a good starting point.

Unfortunately I can't find a supplier for the parts being used. My local electronics shop claims to have 67 suppliers. None of them have the ZXSC300E5, FMMT619 and ZHCS1000 from Zetex, and the DO1608P-683 from Coilcraft.

I noticed there are some Dutch members on this forum. Does anyone know where in the Netherlands I can buy these parts?

I am not interested in bulk, just small quantities. And no payment by credit card.

remuen

Enlightened
I buy my Zetex parts from Farnell.

The ArtNo's are:
</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ZXSC300 = 3847986</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">FMMT617 = 549400</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ZHCS1000 = 743781</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The ZHCS2000 diode mentioned by the ZLT guys seems not to be available her in Europe in small quantities.

----

Btw, this thread would belong into the Electronics section where you find some more threads dealing with these Zetex parts

gewe

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately it doesn't help me, because:
1. DigiKey and Radio Shack (as mentioned in http://www.5thcolumn.org/zetex/project/) are in the USA
2. I tried Farnell Netherlands. This is what it says after selecting the ZXSC300:

The following item(s) were deleted from the cart, since they are not available in this country:
3847986;

The ZXSC310 or ZXSC400 don't even show in the catalog.

gibbled

Newly Enlightened
Darn! just got the parts together, the boards etched and now the web page is gone... any one know what happened to the 5thcolumn ??or know of a mirror? The google cache misses the pictures.

CiTY

Enlightened
I think I have it in a MS word doc. Send me an email with your address. Make sure you have enough space on the address, it's 816kb.

gibbled

Newly Enlightened
Email sent, word doc received. Thanks again CiTY!
With the "help" of my two year old son :) I was able to mount all the major compnents today. hoping to get to the testing stage tomorrow

gibbled.

CiTY

Enlightened
Your welcome Gibbled, Have fun.
"gewe" are you all set with the parts? If not send me mail, I might be able to help.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello there,

Im trying to find out what happened to the page:

http://www.5thcolumn.org/zetex/project/

If i can find out, ill post it here.
If not, i might be able to cover some of the issues
brought up on that page.

Take care and good luck with your LED circuits,
Al

gewe

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by CiTY:
Your welcome Gibbled, Have fun.
"gewe" are you all set with the parts? If not send me mail, I might be able to help.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks, CiTY.
I just noticed something weird: I can't order the ZXSC300 from the Dutch site of Farnell, but I can from the Belgian or UK site. If, however, I look for the address of the Belgian branch, I get the Dutch address.
confused.gif
I think I will contact them on this. Depending on their answer I might accept your help.

gewe

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by MrAl:
Hello there,

Im trying to find out what happened to the page:

http://www.5thcolumn.org/zetex/project/

If i can find out, ill post it here.
If not, i might be able to cover some of the issues
brought up on that page.

Take care and good luck with your LED circuits,
Al
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Search Google for:
"5thcolumn" zetex project

First link it returns with: click "in cache". Don't know how long Google will keep it.

[EDIT]Oops, just noticed the cached version doesn't contain any images![/EDIT]

kingkong

Newly Enlightened
hi,
i am trying to build the circuit zLT+. what is the vaule of the inductor? can i use the 220uf instead of the 150uf?
Thanks,

Lucien

Enlightened
kingkong,

Using a larger capacitance value should be fine, however you'll want to watch out for the ESR rating of the cap. The lower the ESR, the lower the ripple voltage on the output (good thing). If the ESR is too high, then the ripple voltage would be big enough to cause a "pulsed" current higher than what the LS is rated for.

I have no idea what the inductor value is myself/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif, and I'm also interested in finding that out too. Anyone know/have a LCR meter?

gibbled

Newly Enlightened
I've been wondering about this too. reading through the zetex spec sheet reveals this:

Inductor selection
The inductor value must be chosen to satisfy
performance, cost and size requirements of the overall
solution. For the reference designs we recommend an
inductor value of 100uH with a core saturation current
rating greater than the converter peak current value
and low series resistance.

Haven't found a formula or value for l for the jw miller cores yet so can't calculate it that way.

I'm hoping to find a way to reduce the inductor size for driving one or two 5mm leds and shoehorn the works into a dorcy single aaa aluminum light.