Back up lights with some legs

Hardball

Newly Enlightened
Niteowl said:
wwglen,
Hardball, say the word and I'll drop it in the mail!

Mr. Niteowl, you are on. Check your email.

I'm going to post this on the site because your kind offer should be recognized. I will take you up on your offer to send me that which I need to make my #$@light 2c work better. By the time I get it I will have accumulated the other needed components, (I hope).

Our local uniform place has shined me on, (note the flashlight humor), for nearly two weeks on my TL-3's and I am ordering online today because I still think that one will work as I want.

But I have become a regular visitor here and God help me, I think I have been bitten by the bug. Others are making fun of my interest in the truck lights and my whining at the weak duty lights.

:huh: Dude, it's a sickness.

Incidentally, I spent a week in Janesville and Milton, (in a previous life), about 25 years ago and remember the neighborliness of those communities. Guess things don't change much out there where the good folk live

Hardball

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the easiest and cheapest way to upgrade your 3D Mag is to go to Sears, pick up one of the stainless steel 3xAAA 1W Luxeon work lights for about $15, take the PR base bulb out and put it in your 3 cell Mag. On fresh cells, it will last well over 10 hours (probably close to 20) and have a very decent beam. Makes for a nice, long-running, heavy duty light that can still be used as a blunt force instrument if it came to that. No lithiums, but Indiana ranges from -10 degrees to near 100 degrees and I've had D cells that lasted a couple years in a car.

You can even put the incand bulb in the Sears light and give it away as a gift.

The TL-3 is an excellent option as well.

Niteowl

Enlightened
Hardball said:
.....I have become a regular visitor here and God help me, I think I have been bitten by the bug.........

:huh: Dude, it's a sickness.

It's useless to fight it. Just put the CC cards where they're hard to get at!

Got the address and will get the tube in the mail soon. Don't think anything of it, I had to buy 5' to get 4" of it.

Here's a recent thread started by CromagNet that will shed some light on Mag 2C mods. I'm guessing you may have read it already.

Kris

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the Surefire G2, Surefire has alot of accessories for it and for the price it's hard to beat.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hardball said:
[[*]I'd like to spend no more than $100USD for the two, but would consider a bit more if the light warrants it. . .

Have you considered the SureFire 9P? It can be reasonably had here among some CPF members along with accessories. . .

Hope you find what you are looking for and Enjoy!

Hardball

Newly Enlightened
I got home from a trip out of town this past week and amongst my mail was a small box from Amazon.com.

Yeah! My TL3's had arrived.

Dark fell, (thank the Lord for the end of daylight savings), and I was able to go out and try them out. That be some bright small lights, (seems about 2/3 the size of my old SF 8X).

Oddly, it doesn't seem to throw as well as the 3C mod my new pal niteowl convinced me to undertake. Granted this is totally unscientific, (I'm not the guy to look to for any scientific stuff), but the mag mod seems to give more light at a distance.

Now I am not in the field this week but will get a chance to look all of them over in the desert dark next week. As an added bonus, I think I have a comrade lined up who has a real digital camera and will attempt to quantify my observations, such as they are.

Niteowl

Enlightened
Hey Hardball,

Looking forward to some pics! I've eyeballed the TL3 for awhile and would like to see how it measures up.

Just tonight I tried a BULB made for Browning's "Black Ice" 9v xenon light recommended by a CPF'er. I'm pretty happy with it and expect it to last longer than the KPR112. It was $7.39 at Gander mountain. Once I saw what the Carley bulbs cost I thought I'd try it out. It looks like a potted bi-pin.

Using a MOP reflector, it is very close to my SF 9P/KT2. I'm going to have to get in gear and set up another 2C light so I can compare bulbs against each other. Working on getting a digital camera myself.