Backpacking and spare cells

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I was just packing my things to leave tomorrow for a backpacking trip to Italy. I used to have a problem with the spare cells since I have to keep them dry and separated. I just found the perfect solution by putting each cell in an empty balloon. They won't touch each other and they'll stay dry during my trip :) Don't know if anyone discovered this before ;)

Cheers!

paulr

Flashaholic
I haven't felt the need for this, there are nice lightweight battery cases for AA's. For 123's I used to use a tiny nylon coin purse. A pair of 123's will also fit nicely in an APS film container of one particular brand (either Kodak or Fuji, I unfortunately don't remember which).

diesel_dad

Newly Enlightened
AW sells a nice case that holds 4 X CR123. The case is $10. Not waterproof, but it a ziploc it would be fine. Considering my Fenix P1D-CE for backpacking along with a Princeton Tec Apex Pro. Same batteries. Backup. Should be great.

Can't even being to imagine how that blows away my old Petzl and spare battery.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I don't have any CR123 cells, only AA en AAA. Upto now I haven't seen any waterproof and lightweight cases for these cells.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
I guess you know what else they use balloons for, don't you? ;)

He's talking about drugs. Smugglers use balloons to carry drugs. Inside their body or someone they pay to carry them through security.You might be better off using a small plastic tupperware or something similar type container with a snap on lid to carry your batteries. Thats what I use to carry my Li-Ion's in my patrol bag.

Last edited:

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
depusm12 said:
He's talking about drugs. Smugglers use balloons to carry drugs. Inside their body or someone they pay to carry them through security.
I'm not stupid. But how on earth can a battery in a balloon in a backpack looks like drugs in a balloon in someone's body?

watt4

Enlightened
better have your cpf badge handy. :)

might they be better cushioned if they were , oh, packed in a package of ground coffee?
angelsmileyix9.jpg

paulr

Flashaholic
Carry the balloons separate from the batteries and install the batteries in the balloons after the plane lands ;).

Some CPF'ers carry batteries in small Pelican cases, that are tough and waterproof, though a bit bulky. Plastic peanut butter jars are a cheap alternative if you don't mind the cylindrical shape.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe there is actually a restriction in the amount of Lithium allowed to be carried on board an aircraft. Down to needy greedy, I believe it is measured in grams per passenger, and each 123 cell counts as 10 grams or something like that. They wouldn't say much for a light with batteries and a few spares, but if you carry too many spares it might get troublesome.

Mike V

Enlightened
Drug couriers use latex condoms, not party balloons.

A bit of gaffer's tape on the contacts of batteries is more than enough.
You just want to stop them shorting out.

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
Erasmus said:
I'm not stupid. But how on earth can a battery in a balloon in a backpack looks like drugs in a balloon in someone's body?

It's just the inference of it all ... customs can get tipped off by the slightest thing regardless of common sense and/or education.

They are human after all.