• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Balrog bodies (BE1, BE1.5, BE2, BE3 & BE4)

balrog

Enlightened
Re: Pila 150S bodies (E series compatible)

I received the prototype today. At the speed they are going I might have the bare aluminium bodies ready to send before I go away. I've checked that it works with all the different heads and tailcaps that I've had and there have been no problems. I've approved it with some minor changes and they are going to start the run. The only change of note is to increase the inside diameter ever so slightly since the Pilas are slightly wider than the 123s. I don't want any chance of any of them not fitting into the body with ample room for it to easily slide out again.

It's actually a really comfortable size IMO. Fits snugly in my hand and with the lack of a pocket clip it is more comfortable than the E1e or E2e. It fits okay in the pocket but I reckon it's too big to EDC. Enough typing. Below are some pictures. Sorry about the low light levels in the photos. If I had the flash on the body ended up looking like it was white due to the reflection.

First, size comparison against E1e and E2e with McLux heads.

pila150s_e_1.jpg

The appearance of the prototype body is not how it will be on the final body. The prototype was done by hand to check fit and function. The aesthetics weren't considered. You can see three crappy test knurls around the 150S body. The final bodies won't be knurled using a knurling tool. The knurls will actually be cut by a tool with a single pointy tip that will move across the body as it spins round to cut the spirals into the metal. Also, the flange near the head is not as curved as it is on the SureFire bodies. The final products will have a curved flange to match the SureFire bodies.

A pic with the KL4 head on it, next to an E2e + KL1.

pila150s_e_2.jpg

This time with the bare aluminium McLux PR and a satin grey LOTC.

pila150s_e_3.jpg

Finally, proof that it actually works. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pila150s_e_4.jpg

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Klaus

sebast

Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I like those three knurled stripes!
Can't wait to see this HA!
Paypal ready to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif !

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

Very nice! I hope the anodizers match the HA tint to SFs well.

balrog

Enlightened
Re: Pila 150S bodies (E1.5)

I'm pretty fussy about it matching too. The grade of aluminium alloy used affects the tint. The anodisers reckon that the grade I'm using (6061 T6) will turn that greeny grey colour. I've double checked with McGizmo and that is the same grade used in the PR heads which in HA natural are a great match with the SF tint. However, there can be quite a variation depending on how long it is left in the anodising bath for. The anodisers are going to do some tests on some sample material first to check for a match.

Rather than calling this a "Pila 150S E series compatible body", I figure on just calling it the "E1.5". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast

balrog:

Your pics don't show for me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

it's cuz they're freaking hugemungous! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

balrog, do you think you might be able to reduce the filesize in like, 1/6th? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
it's cuz they're freaking hugemungous! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

balrog, do you think you might be able to reduce the filesize in like, 1/6th? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
They loaded this time for whatever reason! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

balrog

Enlightened

Sorry 'bout the picture size. Had the camera on super fine quality. Just for you Roth, I've reduced the size to about 1/15th of the originals.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

well i would be thrilled, if they vorked! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

do they vork for anyone else?

balrog

Enlightened

I've worked out the price for the E1.5 bodies. They will be $22.50 each for HA natural and $20.00 each for bare aluminium. Shipping is extra. For up to 10 bodies, it will cost $5.80 for shipping to the US and $6.50 for UK and Europe. Shipping to other destinations should be similar. I'm expecting to have the bare aluminium bodies ready to ship by 15th July and the hard anodised bodes ready to ship by 30th July. That is of course if there aren't any suprise delays.

I won't be taking pre-orders. I'll start accepting payments just as soon as I have the bodies in my hot little hands. I'll accept PayPal or money orders. Would prefer PayPals from an account but credit card will also be accepted. I'll absorb any CC fees. I'll give you the email address to PayPal when I'm ready to accept payments.

When I get back from holidays and pick the pieces up from the machine shop, I will be setting aside or shipping just enough bare aluminium bodies to satisfy orders. The rest will be anodised, so if you want bare aluminium ones you need to tell me by 10th July. If you are ordering both bare al and HA bodies, you can either have them shipped together, or separately if you are that impatient. Obviously you'll need to pay for shipping twice if you want them shipped separately.

I think that covers everything. Any questions?

Jeff.

K-T

*Moderator*

Could you/someone repost the pictures? Is natural HAIII the only coating option (->black HAIII?).

KT

balrog

Enlightened

I was considering also producing some in black HAIII. Because there is a minimum batch size for the anodising, I'd have to produce more bodies or pay double for two runs. However, I've just had an idea. Let me see what I can do. Don't hold your breath though.

It seems that there are a couple of issues with the DNS for the pictures. They should work now.

K-T

*Moderator*

I am in for one in natural HAIII and if possible one in black HAIII, that would /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Is the sleeve that matches up in diameter of the bezel thick enough to maybe hold some small screws and a clip (-> similar to a pocket knive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) ?

TIA,

K.

balrog

Enlightened

K-T, the flange at the bezel end of the body is 25mm in diameter. The inside diameter is 17.3mm. That gives you 3.85mm thickness to play with for the drilling and tapping screw holes. Basically, if you think there is enough room in the flange of the E1e or E2e body, on the opposite side to the pocket clip, then there will be enough room. However, once they are hard anodised, it's tough work on tools to cut and drill through. They don't call it hard anodised for nothing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I quote "...have been measured as high as 70C rockwell..." which doesn't mean anything to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif, but may mean something to you.

I'll let you know any news regarding black HA when I get it.

Cheers,
Jeff.

K-T

*Moderator*

Balrog, thanks for these details. A measured rockwell ov ~70C is pretty tough - the drilling/tapping/pocket clip would only be a neat addon and isn't necessary in 'real-life-applications' for me, most the time the light (especially these with a small formfactor) just float around my pockets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Looking forward to your news on the black HA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Latest posts