Battery Brands

fredx

Newly Enlightened
I use to be an AW brand user / buyer back in the day, but they are long out of business.What do you fellas find to be the top 3 or 4 brands going today. I hear a lot of good when it comes to the keepower.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
In no particular order:
Samsung, Sanyo/Panasonic, Keeppower, Vapcell, Sony, Molicel, Imren, Efest, LG...

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where does Fenix fit in?
I don't know for certain, but I think it is unlikely Fenix manufactures their own cells. They probably source them and slap a Fenix label on them. To determine if they're quality cells would require testing as HKJ tests cells, or for someone to tear the label off and see if it can be determined who manufactured the cells.

It is quite common for cells to be rewrapped, and even Keeppower does this with certain cells. Many rewrapped cells turn out to actually be Samsung cells. There's just no way to know until someone, again, either tests them and matches the test profile to another cell, or takes a knife to them and tears off the label.

But, in general, regardless of the quality of the cell, cells like Fenix and NiteCore and Olight and possibly even Surefire, sell their own cells to make money, and charge a premium for their label when the actual cell underneath can be sourced for sometimes 25% of the price of the relabled cell. This is why I recommend avoiding cells branded this way and sticking with the manufacturers I listed above.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where does Fenix fit in?

Theoretical speculation, generalization, and group think aside, based on my personal experience of having used their 16340 and 18650 cells extensively over the past 6+ years, I can state that in my experience they have both tested and performed very well based on their specifications, both initially and through actual use, I continue to buy and use them today, and would not hesitate to recommend them to a friend. If anyone has had experience with them contrary to that, I have yet to hear / read of it. I have experienced no failures or shorcomings (to date). Where Li ion cells are concerned, cost is not one of my top 3 selection criteria, and they undoubtedly are not the cheapest option available if that is your top priority. Since you're in the U.S., I would also add that In the U.S., their broad availability and general supplier support are also a plus relative to some other options.

Sjvalleydave

Newly Enlightened
I'd never even heard of them, and I mess with 18650's all the time. Went to their site. They are a protected cell, probably why I hadn't heard of them. We use unprotected cells. I guess they're all right. I don't like that they do not list the cells CDR. So important. They look good, pricey as all get out, $10 ea? They do have nice wraps and a good website...in my world a high drain is necessary. I was looking at one of my magazines. They did their annual best of...for 2022. They named Epoch 35 as the best flashlight battery. 3500mAh w/ 8A CDR...

Sjvalleydave

Newly Enlightened
Epoch makes interesting 100Ah 12V LFP batteries as well. Can you elaborate on why your magazine liked the 18650's?
Their main focus is on RC racing ,cars, boats, airplanes, etc. Plus they have a section about power tools. Once a year they come out with a best of. So that's why they mentioned flashlights. Best hi drain, best flashlight batteries, capacity, etc. Just named the Epoch as their best hi capacity and decent CDR. I just happened to see the article. I have a small business that specializes in diagnosing and repair cordless power tools, that's why I was interested...

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use to be an AW brand user / buyer back in the day, but they are long out of business.What do you fellas find to be the top 3 or 4 brands going today. I hear a lot of good when it comes to the keepower.
Well, you asked for 3-4 and I think you've now gotten 12. Good luck deciding. Perhaps you should have included a ", and why?" at the end of that question:)