Battery efficiency: Fenix versus Surefire (and others)

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The discussion on this thread generated a lot of argument and not much evidence, so I decided to calculate the efficiency of different 2x123A flashlights by using the metric of their lumen-hours per cell in regulation. Although this number is normalized per cell, the graph below contains only 2-cell lights. One-cell 123A lights will perform more poorly in squeezing lumen-hours out of their single battery.

cellefficiencyfenixsurefo7.png

Note: non-labeled Fenix points are from a regular P3D in all four brightness modes. The P3D Q5 is running in turbo mode.

Sources:
chevrofreak (Fenix and SF P60L data)
chao (Surefire E2L runtime data)
Quickbeam (Wolf Eyes drop-in runtime data)

General trends:

For high outputs, the LEDs are being driven at higher currents, leading to decreasing efficiency from the emitter alone. The batteries are also being taxed harder, limiting the ability of the regulator to squeeze the last bit of charge out of them. The overall trend of decreasing efficiency at very high outputs is therefore expected.

There may be some diminishing returns at very low outputs--below 25 lumens or so. This phenomenon may be due to the power consumed by the regulator circuit.

Notice how low the efficiencies of the Luxeon and incandescent lights are.

Outlier lights:

The Fenix P3D Q5 has the best Cree emitter available now, so it's not surprising that its efficiency is better than the same non-premium Fenix light (both in turbo mode). It is not immune to the trend, however; its efficiency at maximum power is still lower than the non-premium P3D (and SF E2L) running well under 100 lumens.

Compared to the turbo mode of the non-premium P3D, the P3D Q5 has a large advantage in output but a smaller advantage in efficiency. The Q5 emitter likely has a higher Vf, which would consume more power at a given current and therefore act against the efficiency advantage that comes from the higher lumen output. Chevrofreak's data shows the premium version running in regulation for 0.4 hours less, which is consistent with a higher Vf.

:thumbsdow The Surefire P60L lights, which are the LED versions of the 6P and G2 incan models, perform more poorly than expected given the Fenix efficiency vs. output curve. Some of this shortfall may be due to the compromise design as a drop-in. But the Wolf Eyes drop-in performs with similar efficiency at a much higher output. So it appears that criticism of these SF-made retrofits on runtime & output grounds is justified.

:thumbsup: The Surefire E2L, which is the only dedicated 2-cell SF Cree light released so far, matches the Fenix trend.

Future lights:

The upcoming Surefire L5, which is rumored to run for 2 hours at 120 lumens, will be consistent with the Fenix/E2L trend if it follows the usual Surefire rule (well, aside from the P60L) of putting out more light than advertised.

Older data:

Incandescent & Luxeon

cellefficiencyos1.png

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
Nice! Thanks for putting that together. Interesting that the Surefire A2 incan beats the C2.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Even with the evidence.... why do I have a feeling this thread isn't going to end well. :shakehead

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the graphs, Fenix did much better than I thought initially. No wonder my L2D RB100 cranks for 2.5 hours on two 2700mAH NiMH AA cells.

The Surefire E2L sips the juice also, but the Fenix P3D Q5 has so much more output AND it can go low. For me, I'll just stick with my L2D RB100.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Very interesting collection (and presentation) of data here. :thumbsup:

Thank you for your hard work and efforts.

Oh, and a big Thumbs-Up to Chevrofreak, also !

:twothumbs

_

bones_708

Enlightened
How did you calculate the lumen ratings? If you are using supplied rating it is well known that different manufacuter's rate their light in different manners making any comparison between brands a moot point.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I used values obtained through homemade integrating spheres, which are typically calibrated using lights with known output. In particular, this is the way that chevrofreak does it.

For the SF E2L, and Wolf Eyes drop-in, I did some ceiling bounce comparisons with other LED lights myself, and these numbers agree with what I've seen other people on CPF estimate (50 lm for the E2L, 120 lm for the "170 lumen" Wolf Eyes drop-in).

LightJaguar

Enlightened
So I missed the latest Fenix vs Surefire arguement. I think we can all agree that Fenix is a much better value then Surefire. My Marine buddy commited a deadly sin today by stating that Surefires suck compared to the Dexlight X1 I gave him. I quickly tried to correct him by pointing out the advantages of Surefire lights. He would not listen though and a sexy bright surefire is of my budget to give him.
For a long time he was under the impression that regular Surefires where the brightest lights around. I think he was very dissapointed when he found out the truth. Me showing off my MRV did not help either.

djblank87

Enlightened
Even with the evidence.... why do I have a feeling this thread isn't going to end well. :shakehead

Monocrom as soon as I read the title I was thinking the same thing. :sssh:

But back on topic, thanks asdalton for the information it is very informative. :thumbsup:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL
That was the first thing that went through my mind as soon as I saw the Fenix Vs Surefire in the thread.
But since the figures doesnt seem to debunk or prove anything we didnt already know, it seems like peace will maintain.

And Asdalton, please don't take this post as critique. I appreciated the graphs and stats. Nice work!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
That's a different way to put it.

:goodjob:

I wonder what light has the best battery efficiency(maybe something with really long runtime?).

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
People usually mention the P3DQ5's claimed 215 lumens (1.8hrs) on turbo, but I think that 120 lumens for 4.8hrs in the High mode is remarkable for a little flashlight.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
We must not forget, single 123 light can perform almost as good as certain 2 x 123.

For example, SureFire L1 Cree is advertised at 65 lumens for 90 minutes on a single battery. So with 2 batteries, it can run 65 lumens for 180 minutes which matches one of the Fenix dot on the first graph. Unfortunately, I don't have any a light meter so I'm unable to verify the lumen claim.

Edit: typo

Last edited: