Battery exploded in flashlight

McGizmo

Flashaholic
NewBie said:
This event was complete with explosion and fireball:

bstest13.jpg

Look around post 647 for more pictures and details:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1492092#post1492092

Well I for one don't plan let alone know how I would put this example in my pocket to start with!! At this point in time, I have been convinced that I have no interest in pocketing or carrying a 2xCR123 incan light hosting BS cells of mixed condition; one fresh and fully charged, the other partially depleted. To take this further, I have no intention of knowingly carrying or pocketing any 2xCR123 light with mixed condition cells regardless of manufacture and regardless of light engine composition. This latter comment only seems reasonable and prudent and has been cautioned against for quite some time.

I have done numerous constant on run time tests with many of my 2xCR123 lights where the light reached operating temps, especially near end of battery life, that were well in excess of what I considered or felt (literally) to be reasonable or advisable. Perhaps I have just been lucky or perhaps the lights tested were somehow or for some yet to be identified reason, below any event threshold. All of these runtime tests involved SF CR123 cells fresh, but not metered, from a box.

For those who truely understand the physics and chemistry involved, I expect a fair set of precursors to an event are understood and a threshold can be identified and designs and or suggestions of proper usage can allow users to use well below any threshold. Unfortunately no one with those qualifications has bothered to enlighten us at this point.

Empath has pointed out that there are no battery manufactures endorcing the use of CR123's in high power flashlights. By the same token, I am not aware of any of these manufactures cautioning against or seeking restriction of use of these cells from such an application. Perhaps they are happy having their cake and eat it too at present?

Is there an intrinsic and unsafe condition in general with using CR123 batteries in flashlights? I have not been convinced that this is the case. Is there a possible set of conditions or precursors that would allow an event to occur with CR123 cells and flashlights? I would say so! I think we have seen pictures to support this!!

To my knowledge, SF pioneered the use of CR123 cells in flashlights. I believe they have a sizeable database of information regarding the science and R&D of mating CR123 cells with highpower flashlights. We have heard of reported events involvng both SF lights as well as SF cells. We are not necessarily aware of the actual conditions leading up to these reported events nor do we know of extenuating circumstances that might have been at play or what the statistical significance of any justified events may be. By justified event, I mean one that is not a result of missuse or abuse.

SF may have pioneered the CR123 flashlight but at this point, the market is shared by many many other players and manufacturers of both lights and batteries. I was cautioned early on by a friend at SF that not all CR123 batteries should be considered safe in use with highpowered flashlights. He also cautioned me against mixing cells in any multi cell light. He went on to convince me that I really needed to be careful if I wanted to mess with any Li-Ion systems!! This caution was so great that I still haven't embraced this technology to the extent that many have.

Am I just lucky so far and yet still playing Russian Roulette? Am I spinning a very large capacity chamber that still has one loaded chamber? :shrug: I have not been convinced that this is the case and I would like to think that taking known precautions would keep me from such a game.

In the mean time, I will keep my eyes open to any additinal information and reported events but I refuse to turn and run based on faulty or what I consider to be overly broad or non scientific inferences or statements based on unseen logic or unsupported yet reported facts. To date, I am convinced that a multiple cell light has earned my respect and demands caution and concern. I knew this before but now am most certainly are of it!!

I am much less clear on a single cell light and the only reported event (to my knowledge) of a single cell involves an AA lithim primary in conjunction with an electronic device that has other stored power connected to its circuit. Now is the AA primary the same chemistry and electrical make up of the CR123? Is it nominally 3 volts? Is the environment in which it failed similar in legitimate considerations to that of a flashlight? If yes, please enlighten me. If no, does mention of it cloud the issue more than anything else? If no then isn't its inclusion in our discussions more a case of unwarranted sensationalizing?

A book should not be judged by its cover but by its content. The event pictured and documented above should be judged by its validity as an experiment and adherence to proper controls and contitions and not by its appearance. I mention this because its appearance could be questioned. I don't question Newbie or his work on this front but I do request that he adhere to responsible control of his experiments and of course take the necessary safety precautions which he certainly seems fluent in. At this point, it seems that we are in a data acquisition phase which can be of benefit to all and possibly considered by those who understand and manufacture these cells as well as provide them to us. What means of design might have been incoporated in the cells above to avoid the event? Are there additional means of protection? Was the above event independent of the particular cells involved and to be considered likely for any pair of CR123 cells subjected to the same mismatch of charge?

Some of us are peaceful by nature and inherently seek tranquility, harmony and understanding. Some of us are warriors by nature and seek battle and a good cause for fight. There are times for the farmer to raise his pitchfork to join in battle and there are times for the warrior to set down his sword. My point? Well beyond the content in these posts and on this forum are the folks who contribute the posts. Such contributions are surely tempered by the nature of the contributor I suspect. :thinking:

Please, let's gather facts and not sensation!!

[/ramble mode]

Flashdark

Enlightened
McGizmo,

Very well said sir. I guess that I could stumble and fall and drive the popsicle stick in my pocket through my chest like a vampire stake, but I haven't stopped eating popsicles. HOWEVER, I do now position the sticks a bit more carefully after sucking on them.

Flashdark sends.

*Retired*
MattK said:
Hi Kevin,

Last I heard both Surefire and Streamlight are using Panasonics.

Also, and I could be wrong on this but I think Energizer's been buying from Sanyo - I have bulk cases of both and they really look like they're from the same factory (Sanyo/Japan).

Sigh.

I've taken Streamlight, Energizer, Panasonic, Browning, SureFire cells apart, and these that I have, all say Made in USA, and I've actually disassembled them, and they even have the same Anode and Cathode crimping marks (same machine) internally within the cell itself. The rest of the internal construction is identical.

Duracell is different.

Battery Station is different.

See examples of how they are made inside, here:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1485425

*Retired*
McGizmo said:
Some of us are peaceful by nature and inherently seek tranquility, harmony and understanding. Some of us are warriors by nature and seek battle and a good cause for fight. There are times for the farmer to raise his pitchfork to join in battle and there are times for the warrior to set down his sword. My point? Well beyond the content in these posts and on this forum are the folks who contribute the posts. Such contributions are surely tempered by the nature of the contributor I suspect. :thinking:

Please, let's gather facts and not sensation!!

[/ramble mode]

Hey, would you deny that a number of two and three cell CR123A cell lights from multiple flashlight manufacturers, and cell manufactures have been shown to have actually failed? Did you realize that we now have two events occur where there were no flashlights involved? Did you realize there are two know SureFire 9P lights that have had cell failures, one of which actually split the side of the barrel in the middle of the 9P?

I do understand that there are vested interests that would like to hide these actual real life events, sweeping them under the rug to make them go away. However, as people begin to congregate, folks start talking, and word gets out. There have been way too many of these events for me to consider them a non-issue.

I'm really not trying to sensationalize what is actually occuring, with multiple lights, and to multiple folks. It is actually happening, and I'm doing a number of things. One is to make folks aware of the problem, and the other is then to investigate the issue myself, even further.

I am however, trying to make folks engage their brain housing groups and engage the brain that was given to them at birth. A little precaution and forethought can go mightly far in avoiding these scenarios.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I hope you have noticed that I have been running a series of tests, which have been on going on for over a month now, at my very own expense-except recently, where Kevin from Battery Station started last week, and Dat2zip, Cmoore (and I hope I have not forgotten anyone) have contributed a few items for testing purposes in the past week, have each contributed a little. Recently, I started posting the results of the occurances, such as photos of the PM6 which had the cells fail in it, and my test rig and the ejected material. My life has a finite amount of minutes in it, and I have been volunteering my own time, hundreds of hours, and what I consider a substantial amount of my own personal resources. Life truely is limited and all too short to be wasting it on futile things.

I'm truely sorry if you do not like the results so far-they are what they are. One problem with doing this sort of thing publically- is that sometimes, folks feathers get rubbed the wrong way.

After I saw what just one single CR123A cell in this two cell setup- as did on friday during a test when one of the two cells *exploded*, I really was surprised, the forceful fireball, and the flaming flying debris which comprised at least 98% of the internal cell material ejected, and which continued to burn, truely humbled me.

I am used to working with these Primary Lithium cells that are a bit larger than these tiny CR123A cells. I however did not expect the violence of a few of these events. As usual, I was very glad I was prepared. At this time, I am considering an additional secondary containment vessel.

I am sorry you did not like my reference, it's intention was just to make people think a little bit more-to utilize their greatest gift.

I hope you understand.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Newbie,
The results are what they are and I appreciate you bringing some of them to light. I am not clear on just what they are or the mechanics causing these events; beyond the obvious that is. Whether I like what I see or not does not alter the reality of what is going on here. I think we all want to know more about just what that reality is.

I understand that the lithium AA cells and the lithium CR123 cells are both lithium. Is that all I need to know and should I asume that these are apples compared to apples? If lithium primaries deserve any stereotype in regards to safety issues, so be it. If certain applications such as multiples in series deserve stereotyping in caution or considered risk, so be it.

You have demonstrated to me that I do not want to use mismatched cells!! You had to go out of your way to provide these mismatched cells by inentionally depleting one. Well we have been told and now shown that this is simply a no no! My larger concern is the suspicion that one may think they are using equally matched cells but may not be doing so. I state this because not all fresh cells measure at 100%. Is it possible that a weak cell fresh from the box could be used in a light and that after some use and due to a differential tendency in discharge, the weak cell gets even weaker, relatively speaking, to the point an event or venting could occurr? SOme of us have equipment for measuring the battery's state of charge to a reasonable level. We can go to the additional trouble and caution of measuring the cells prior to use. In the general population and use of these cells though, that is not viable. If it comes to be considered as a recommended or worse, necessary precaution, then we are dealing with a strong potential for disaster if these lights are flowing into the general population where folks are making false assumptions of intrinsic safety.

I can only ask questions and I don't understand the chemistry or physics well enough to even know if my questions even make sense!

I will move back to the side lines and keep the air clear for you and others who have an idea of what is going on.

Like it or not, I consider you a warrior and crusader and I applaud you your efforts and insight on these batteries.

I agree that an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure. If an ounce of prevention is the ideal dose, a pound of prevention may actually be detrimental. You be the Dr. so please consider the dose but do what you need to do!

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
NewBie said:
Sigh.

I've taken Streamlight, Energizer, Panasonic, Browning, SureFire cells apart, and these that I have, all say Made in USA, and I've actually disassembled them, and they even have the same Anode and Cathode crimping marks (same machine) internally within the cell itself. The rest of the internal construction is identical.

Duracell is different.

Battery Station is different.

See examples of how they are made inside, here:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1485425

Why the sigh? It sounds like your disections match my initial statement and don't necessarily contradict the second statement.

Please remember that many of the BRANDS have more than 1 production facility and I'm willing to bet some of the BRANDS buy from different MANUFACTURERS at times.

As far as I know only Panasonic actually still has US manufacturing facilities for CR123A cells.

BatteryStations cells are undoubtedly being manufactured at one of the larger Chinese factories - I could hazard a guess about which but I won't - so it's not surprising that their contruction is different.

I'll have to take some pics of the Sanyo/Energizer OEM cases/cells together so you can see what I mean. The Energizers are marked made in the USA, the Sanyo's are Japan.

*Retired*
MattK said:
Why the sigh? It sounds like your disections match my initial statement and don't necessarily contradict the second statement.

Please remember that many of the BRANDS have more than 1 production facility and I'm willing to bet some of the BRANDS buy from different MANUFACTURERS at times.

As far as I know only Panasonic actually still has US manufacturing facilities for CR123A cells.

BatteryStations cells are undoubtedly being manufactured at one of the larger Chinese factories - I could hazard a guess about which but I won't - so it's not surprising that their contruction is different.

I'll have to take some pics of the Sanyo/Energizer OEM cases/cells together so you can see what I mean. The Energizers are marked made in the USA, the Sanyo's are Japan.

I've got some Sanyo 123s here that are marked as Made in China. I believe they are actually GP Batteries, but I am not certain. Why?

Sanyo has established a joint venture company in China with GP Batteries International Ltd., largest consumer battery manufacturer group in China, based in Singapore. The new company has been named "Ningbo GP SANYO Energy Co., Ltd."

Located in NINGBO HI-TECH Park in Ningbo city, Zhejiang province, the joint venture will manufacture and sell manganese dioxide primary lithium batteries. SANYO will hold 51% of the shares and GP 49%. Production is to start this month.

Production lines of manganese dioxide primary lithium batteries for camera use will be transferred from SANYO Energy Tottori Co., Ltd., a subsidiary of SANYO.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3864/is_200409/ai_n9455849

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
NewBie said:
...Located in NINGBO HI-TECH Park in Ningbo city, Zhejiang province, the joint venture will manufacture and sell manganese dioxide primary lithium batteries. SANYO will hold 51% of the shares and GP 49%. Production is to start this month....

I believe this plant burned down in December or January. Yes - I know you're having a laugh now. :p

My bulk and retail pack Sanyo's are all marked Made in Japan.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if part of the problem is that CR123's were designed with photo applications in mind (pulse, one cell) instead of flashlight use (continuous, two cells). If you download energizer's datasheet for 123, you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:

flame2000

Enlightened
:awman: CR123A =
m26a1_grenade_01.jpg

Freaky to know that I've been carrying one in my pocket beside my balls everyday! :lolsign:

Last edited:

bigfoot

Enlightened
A big thank you NeWbie for the testing and information. Before reading this thread and other related threads recently, I didn't give lithium batteries a second thought as far as safety.

Now my lithium cells (whether they be 123, AA, or AAA) are all kept protected from the elements. I even went so far as to buy a Surefire SC3 spares carrier to keep extra batteries protected while in my bag. I'll be sure not to mix any cells, as sometimes happens with alkalines. I'll be more cautious of that, too. And my box of spare Surefire batteries is now kept in a waterproof container. Lastly, I'll have more peace of mind using my E1L versus my G2, based on one having a single cell and the other having two.

I imagine the number of incidents with lithiums is probably a tiny fraction overall compared to the number of people NOT having incidents. Still, no one wants to be "a statistic."

I find it interesting that, to my knowledge, no battery maker or flashlight manufacturer has let the general public know of potential safety concerns.

Thanks again for the in-depth information and testing. It may not be 110% scientific, but that doesn't matter to me. It's the real-world application, not just what happens in a lab, that's important.

As you pointed out, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

hotwls13

Newly Enlightened
bigfoot said:
I find it interesting that, to my knowledge, no battery maker or flashlight manufacturer has let the general public know of potential safety concerns.

My thoughts exactly. I hope that people using these on a daily basis (Law Enforcement, Fire, Safety etc) have been informed of the possible dangers.

I came to this site trying to find a good place to buy 123 batteries for cheap, and I found that my cyclops may be a frickin bomb.

How do we get the word out to news/media so people can be warned?

benighted

Enlightened
hotwls13 said:
How do we get the word out to news/media so people can be warned?

I don't think it is in our best interest to make everyone fear flashlights. It would get blown out of proportion just like everything else the news does.

hotwls13

Newly Enlightened
benighted said:
I don't think it is in our best interest to make everyone fear flashlights. It would get blown out of proportion just like everything else the news does.

:huh2: I'm not saying make everyone fear flashlights, just educate people about the ones that may randomly explode. I'm just saying the general public has no clue (including me until I came to this site) the "potential" hazard that these create.

Who in the general public is going to have the means to measure if there 123 battery is at 20% or less? Or are going to drill a small hole in there new flashlight so that it vents? Or are even going to think twice about using 2 different brands of batteries. That last one may be a no brainer in this forum, but with my standard AA, D cell batteries, I could care less if they are the same brand.

I bought 6 of the Cyclops flashlights as gifts last year, and I have informed those people to remove and dispose of the batteries until further notice. That's just a few people, but they wouldn't have known had I not stumbled upon the info here.