Battery that can Handle 300bar pressure

Jorges06

Newly Enlightened
Is there any battery that can handle 300bar of pressure??????
:thinking:

DM51

Flashaholic
Er... where would you encounter that sort of pressure? It's equivalent to being at a depth of 3,000 meters / 10,000 ft seawater... :green:

CKOD

Enlightened
Er... where would you encounter that sort of pressure? It's equivalent to being at a depth of 3,000 meters / 10,000 ft seawater... :green:
+1 as to what the application is.

I dont think any metal canned cell would play nicely with that much pressure, and given that Li-Po plays nicely in a vacuum even to 1-5 mmHg (doesnt baloon up, indicating not much airspace inside) I think it would be better then a canned cell at pressure, but I wouldnt say "300 bar? go for it!"

Are you inspecting the inside of a gas cylinder as its at operating pressure? Even those are only at 2500-2600 PSI so probably not.

Jorges06

Newly Enlightened
Hello
The 3000 meters sub sea is my goal. This is for power supply to sub sea equipment.

DM51

Flashaholic
OK... and it's not possible to put the battery inside some kind of pressure vessel? What about the interface/wiring to the item it is powering?

Jorges06

Newly Enlightened
I am thinking of putting the battery cell in a oil filled compartment that has the same pressure as the water outside. This is achieved with a pressure compensator. The connectors is also connected in the oil compartment.

DM51

Flashaholic
That could work, as long as you have no leaks, the cell is water-tight to keep the oil out, and there is absolutely zero air space in the cell - But I'm not confident you won't have problems if/when there is slight venting, which happens occasionally. The cell might get the bends on depressurising, lol.

Are you building a DSRV or something like that?

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
More than likely some sort of deep sea research drone. But even then it would be hard to predict how the battery would behave under such high pressures. If there is any compressibility in a hard case cell the oil would leak in and the cell would pretty much be destroyed. My best guess would be those soft cell li-ion batteries. The oil will be kept out but again at high pressures it's hard to predict if anything would behave differently.

Jorges06

Newly Enlightened
This is for some Deep Sea Tooling that do not require much power. I probably have to grab a Li Poly cell and throw it in a bag with some oil, and then put it in the pressure tester :whistle:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You could try taking a battery and sealing it in a block of something with the wires coming out to access its power.
Like a block of epoxy resin.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you could fill the compartment with electrolyte, so if some passed in/out of the cell it wouldn't matter?

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats an insane amount of pressure! Are there any cells that are even tested near to that amount of pressure?

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
are there? so i searched because the li-poly in an oil bath sounded like a good idea

and found this instantally
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...pressures&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&lr=lang_en
Cylindrical Li-ion cells work fine within a pressure vessel, but they cannot work at hadal zone pressures in oil submersion because of air pockets within the metal-encased cells. However, a new packaged form of the same chemistry cell has been developed, called Li-polymer. The Li-polymer cell contains a Li-ion chemistry that is housed within a sealed foil pouch. The pouch is vacuum sealed, which removes almost all air pockets. When this cell is correctly constructed, it can be submerged in oil or flexible potting material. Charge and discharge cycling of cells has been tested at and above hadal zone pressures of 10,000 pounds per square inch.

i still wonder about this Benz :) tiny gas ammounts that exist internally in weak or bad li-poly. also any Full hard sealing wouldnt account for the gas that can occur internally in different ways, expanding the cell tiny ammounts.

another one i could think of that is similar would be "gumstick" ni-mhy AKA prismatic ni-mhy, some of them come bagged almost the same way as li-poly.

Last edited:

CKOD

Enlightened
are there? so i searched because the li-poly in an oil bath sounded like a good idea

and found this instantally
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...pressures&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&lr=lang_en
Cylindrical Li-ion cells work fine within a pressure vessel, but they cannot work at hadal zone pressures in oil submersion because of air pockets within the metal-encased cells. However, a new packaged form of the same chemistry cell has been developed, called Li-polymer. The Li-polymer cell contains a Li-ion chemistry that is housed within a sealed foil pouch. The pouch is vacuum sealed, which removes almost all air pockets. When this cell is correctly constructed, it can be submerged in oil or flexible potting material. Charge and discharge cycling of cells has been tested at and above hadal zone pressures of 10,000 pounds per square inch.

i still wonder about this Benz :) tiny gas ammounts that exist internally in weak or bad li-poly. also any Full hard sealing wouldnt account for the gas that can occur internally in different ways, expanding the cell tiny ammounts.

another one i could think of that is similar would be "gumstick" ni-mhy AKA prismatic ni-mhy, some of them come bagged almost the same way as li-poly.

Nice find! Its amazing how much extreme use (not extreme ABuse!) Li-Po can actually take in odd forms like that. 10,000 psi pressure, if you prepare them right more shock then you can shake a stick at...
http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADA329465
100,000 G's acceleration:faint:

DM51

Flashaholic
Interesting find, VidPro!

10,000 psi = 790 bar, so more than double the OP's requirement.