Best and Brightest Pocket Light

Tiff

Newly Enlightened
Seems that the extreme is basically a more rugged looking and powerful D10. Also comes in a "case", so looks pretty good.

Congrats on your choice. :twothumbs It's pretty hard to go wrong with any of the choices listed. I think the Nitecore Extreme uses the less common CR123 battery tho. So just make sure you buy a couple of CR123 batteries so he can play with it after he opens it. I bought the D10 because it's much easier to get AA batteries like Eneloops, but I just might get a CR123 light for my birthday. :grin2:

maxa beam

Banned
I saw that one. Looks nice. Wish it came in a better presentation. Yes I know...means nothing, but it is all part of the wow. I saw a Surefire e1B backup on amazon, but don't know much about them. I want something that can bring down an attacker at night! I know, won't really, but that bright! He has maculer degeneration (sp), so losing eyesight. Brightness would be key!

What about the Fenix PD30? Any thoughts on that?

If you want a truly bright light, a surefire M6 with optional lamp can do 500-600 lumens. A fenix would usually be about 3/4 of its rated power. Surefire is one of the only companies (I think Pelican does too) that uses an integrating sphere to measure their lights' outputs.

Fenix makes nice lights but usually overrates them.

If you want my personal opinion, get him a Surefire L4 if he wants flood (One of my all-time favorite lights) and a 6p led + Malkoff M60W if he wants throw. They'd both cost about the same and both would be magnificent lights.

Surefire makes the finest lights I've seen outside some customs, and I'd definitely recommend them to any factory buyer. Gene Malkoff makes the finest Surefire dropins around, using gorgeously heatsynced LEDs hand-picked for good color temperature and output.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8&products_id=33

+

http://www.surefire.com/6P-Led

All you gotta do is, as it says, drop it in. It comes with instructions, I believe, if you can't do it, and if those don't help we'll be glad to!

FAAbUlights

Newly Enlightened
Seems that the extreme is basically a more rugged looking and powerful D10. Also comes in a "case", so looks pretty good.

actually the nitecore extreme is a more rugged looking ex10 that has the same UI as the NDI. the D10 uses a single AA battery where as the extreme uses a single CR123a battery. The D10 is piston operated while the Extreme is a foward clicky.