Best and Brightest Pocket Light

volntitan

Newly Enlightened
This may sound stupid, but which brand has the best package presentation. Meaning, which comes in a cool box or something. It's all about perception. I see the Fenix comes in basically a normal bubble pac type. But something that came in something fancier would be great. What does Surefire come in?

I know...silly...

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I normally go for go for industrial "underestimating looking packaging" lots of fancy / advertisement on a box makes me think the manufacture is trying to sell the box and not the product:shakehead "there making up for it's lack of performance or something:sssh:". Oh good compromise is wolf-eyes lights "I don't know if they all do:thinking:" but they have sick presentation boxes, with just there name on top and logo. Their like all black with a sort of felt inside "defiantly makes for a good presentation:twothumbs" it's real slick:cool:. Doesn't NiteCore have crazy presentation boxes with a buckle or something:thinking:?

abarraga86

Newly Enlightened
The E1B in a box? I haven't yet seen one in person presented like that...

Alan_P

Newly Enlightened
The Drake or Draco would make a fantastic gift. They are very tiny but still put out a LOT of light. They also look like works of art.

Toaster

Enlightened
My vote is for the Olight Titanium Infinitum. Polished titanium body, 200 lumens output, infinitely variable brightness, and runs on 1xCR123. Comes in a nice gift box too. See this thread for more details. Only 100 pieces allotted for North America so will probably sell out before you make a decision.

Second pick is Surefire E1B. Might not be the brightest but the form factor is very nice and comes with Surefire reliability and reputation which is always nice for a gift.

Nubo

Enlightened
I really love my Nitecore DI. For someone with eye problems I'd think that a multi-level light would be useful.

For navigating a dark house, for example; heck my eyes are ok but after stepping on our dog a couple of times (black dog on a black throwrug), that's when I learned the usefulness of always having a light at hand. But I don't want a re-enactment of "close encounters of the third kind", just enough light to comfortably navigate without waking up the house or searing my eyes. Or maybe I need to read something in low-light situation like a restaurant but I'd rather not pull out "super torch"! :) But, when I need to track the dog outdoors or work on the car, I have enough light for that job too.

And, if he decides that an "EDC" light is a great thing, the ability to use the proper amount of light for the task at hand adds a lot of utility. 200 lumens for 1 hour is great, but so is a light that can provide several nights of continual illumination in unfamiliar surroundings, on a single battery -- great for travel! And, it's a AA battery, which I think is important for someone who isn't a flashlight hobbyist. with CR123 batteries you either have to special order, or pay through the nose at retail for "camera batteries". The Nitecore does great with readily-available Lithium AA cells, or rechargeable AA. Not as great with alkalines when used on high power, but will do in a pinch.

Surefire is definitely going to give you maximum "packaging bling", but I found the Nitecore packaging quite adequate, with maybe just a little bit of funk to give you the feeling that you're on the cutting edge. :) Surefire is top-notch, but maybe just a little too common for the "man who has everything" ?

Last edited:

abarraga86

Newly Enlightened
Once again, if you want something:
1) Around 100 bucks
2) Sold through amazon
3) Small and usefull
The E1B should be it, it will not come in a box (I dunno why people are saying it will), however the warranty is unbeatable and their reputation is fenomenal, it feels very good in the hand, and has a very straightforward KISS interface.

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast
This may sound stupid, but which brand has the best package presentation. Meaning, which comes in a cool box or something. It's all about perception. I see the Fenix comes in basically a normal bubble pac type. But something that came in something fancier would be great. What does Surefire come in?

I know...silly...

No it actually is not....!

It`s a gift right....

The Nitecore defender comes in nice box with extras and the UI is easy not to mention that it`s brighter then most....
And..

The battery is interchangable between a RCR14500 and a common AA battery.....

You want nicer?

CPF Groovy!
Made by Photonfanatic here on CPF...
Search in the subforums.....:)

abarraga86

Newly Enlightened
The other option would be a NiteCore or a Fenix (which I guess in some way or another are a bit of a step down in stability reputation yet still great lights). The downside or upside would be they have a more complex user interface which may be a good or bad thing for an older person.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think something AA powered might be better unless he already has CR123 powered things.

Within that, the Fenix TK20 might be good. Not really meant for EDC(unless you holster it) but, from what I hear, it feels solid, is bright, easy to use, and the warm white color might shock him. He probably doesn't expect that from a LED light.

I'm not sure about packaging though.

Out of the E1B and PD30, that depends on what he will use the light for.

:welcome:

volntitan

Newly Enlightened
Problem is getting it here by christmas without paying a buttload for shipping.

So even thou the Surefire isn't rated as bright as the Fenix PD30, it is better? I know it is more expensive also...

volntitan

Newly Enlightened
OK...what does "EDC" mean? I basically want it for cool factor. So brighter the better.

And by christmas ;)

volntitan

Newly Enlightened
Someone mentioned this Spy007 that you get thru this forum. Does anyone know about it? I emailed the guy and he said it can get here for xmas, but no idea how good the light is or how much.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
It is a little bit over your planned investment, but it is also one of the most gorgeous lights on earth. And it is bright. And most certainly no one your dad knows has one like him. :D