Best Antivirus program?

I know it's not anti-virus per se, but I run the "No Script" add on for Firefox and it really gives an added layer of protection when surfing the web (for malware that attacks via Javascript). You can disable it at any time or customize what websites you allow to run Java.

+1 on noscript - it kept the adstorm out of my browser when CPF was infected a while ago, and told me what was happening!

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Noscript and Adblockplus. mmmmmm lovelyness.

As for adaware - I haven't used it in some time - a couple of years ago it pissed me off and I gave up on it. Maybe time for a revisit.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
NOD32 was my #1 for many years, serious enterprise-level protection, ultra-lightweight and very studious/frequent updating. But Microsoft's own Defender is also quite good, completely free, and very simple to install and turn on since there's no payment step. If you know what to avoid and what proper prevention is, go with the easy freebie. If you don't trust yourself, pay for the big gun.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
My own gut feeling about Windows Defender/Microsoft Security Essentials is this:

This is a company that's written an OS so poorly that it has left the exploits available for malware writers to take advantage of. How can you trust that their AV product, which in all honesty should not have been required to exist in the first place, to look after you?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I have used many AV programs over the years, and to some degree the top tier products don't have vastly superior benefits over the others, and their ratings change from year to year. You can do a google search for some of the reviews, but keep in mind that it is hard to get really unbiased reviews after all these years, the AV makers know how to play the reviews game. One reference to be taken with a grain of salt.

Currently in my Win 7 home PC, I use Norton + Malwarebytes + the addons others mentioned with Firefox. Plus I am religious about Image & Backups to multiple drives, kept separated.