Best Book Light?

bspofford

Enlightened
I tried just about everything and wasn't happy with any, so I made my own from an inexpensive set of eye shields for the workshop with two small CR-2032 driven LED lights on ball joints. The balls were attached to the frames with small screws, so I drilled tap holes in my reading glasses and attached them. The brightness, focus and tint are great for reading, and a set of batteries lasts about 30 hours. The light follows my eyes, and it doesn't bother my wife. Others have liked them so much that they have asked me to have them manufactured, but it seems that somebody got a patent on the idea and never marketed the product.

pm91

Newly Enlightened
My wife is a prolific reader, and spends a few hours per day on a dark bus to and from work at a remote Nevada desert location which shall go unnamed...

OMG!! I'll name it...Area 51!? Wow, how cool is that! I hope she has shared some stories with you, they have got to be incredible.

strinq

Enlightened
So a short question, all those who recommended the zebralight, do you guys actually wear the headband the read? Or prop it up somewhere?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to read in bed and have tried a few different lights. I'd like a specialized one to clip on my book without lighting up the entire room. What would be a good cheap light for that? So many are on the market. I figured someone out here would have a good suggestion.

I have seen book lights at Target and Fry's for as little as $5. At that price you can buy and try 4 for about $20. Chances are you will find one you like. The thing is they are not that small, even the ones that use button cells.

But we on CPF are a little more advanced than the average Target and Fry's customer when it comes to flashlights. I can use my small flashlights (hand free) for reading in bed, but I always come back to the Zebralight H501 because it has an even floody beam that can cover an entire page and the headband allows for maximum range of motion and adjustability when you need it.

I recommend it highly, but do me a favor -- if you buy this light, modify it to make it better and smaller for pocket carry. This wondeful light often ends up in a backpack and used occasionlly as a headlamp because most people don't use it to its full potential.

Slightly modified, both the light and headband are small enough to fit in a dress shirt pocket. Both items are smaller than many book lights.
IMG_4397.jpg

You can also use this light to read by clipping it to your clothings. I practically wear it this way at home all the times.
IMG_2774.jpg

IMG_4612.jpg

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Hmm.... general consensus seems to be that actual "book lights" that clip onto the book just don't work that well.

Headlights work, but I read this thread in hopes there would be a good book light out there somewhere.

Kathleen and I love books and often read to each other. It's typical on a long drive, for her to drive while I read aloud. At night, I have been using a Streamlight Stylus. A headlight won't do; we don't want excess light inside the car. I was just hoping there's something that puts light only on the book, and doesn't need to be held in my hand.

Oh well, something will come along.

raven2000

Newly Enlightened
Reviving an old thread as i didn't want to start another;

I recently just bought a Sony prs-300 (e-ink ebook reader, 5" screen), and its coming in the mail within a few days. The problem is, i read alot at night, and im not sure how i'm going to read now..

From reading this thread, it seems that most ppl are recommending a zebralight headlamp - the problem is that I don't really have that much cash atm.

So anyway, i have a few questions to whoever can answer them:

1. How would the lightwedge work out for my Prs-300?
  2. Are there any handsfree solutions for using my current torches? I have an Ese Lz2 (Q5 AA), and an ITP A3 (Q5 AAA). It would be great if I can buy something to make either into a headlamp; or some type of adjustable tripod.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Mike V

Enlightened
I've never put my Zebralight on my head ever.

WhenI'm reading I lie it in my lap, the flood and right angle head makes it easy to position so that it is shining on the page.

jankj

Enlightened
I have an Ese Lz2 (Q5 AA), and an ITP A3 (Q5 AAA). It would be great if I can buy something to make either into a headlamp; or some type of adjustable tripod.

The Ese Lz2 should fit into the quark prism from 4sevens.com. If it's a loose fit, some electricians tape should take care of that. If it's a tight fit a knife should get you there... You can ask for that specific combination of Exe Lz2+prism in the headlamp section or in 4sevens section of the marketplace.

The quark prism + AA light is more bulky than zebralight, but the diffuser works well for a reading light. Price is $20 or so. Or you could get a princeton tec EOS for about the same price.

dirtybore

Newly Enlightened
I purchased this for my girlfriend's Kindle for Christmas. She loves it.

It lasts forever on one dry cell. The goose neck works perfectly. Worth every penny. It's the best "booklight" I've ever seen. :thumbsup:

It does not have a clip - only a tab which slips into a pocket on her Kindle cover. It would be but a simple matter to glue a clip on to the tab portion so it would clip on to a paper book.

Joe_Atlanta

Newly Enlightened
I use the Mighty Bright XtraFlex Duet Super LED Music Stand Light with my sony reader, takes 3 AAAs
I use the ultraflex 2, works great. I also have a 10 year old original model incandescent Mighty Bright that won't die, even though it's been dropped numerous times and beat to crap in my gig bag. Reasonably priced, great quality stuff.

raven2000

Newly Enlightened
The Ese Lz2 should fit into the quark prism from 4sevens.com.
THANKS! I had a quick look and it seems like exactly what im looking for >.<

I think ill just shell out the cash for this prism rather than getting a dedicated light for reading, it'll be useful elsewhere as well :)

Thanks for the help guys!

pae77

Enlightened
I like the Mighty Bright xtraflex 2. It's really a fantastic design. I use mine mostly as a laptop keyboard light but it's intended to be a reading light or a very small craft task light. It's much smaller than it looks in the image below.

Here's some info on it's features, although it doesn't specify what kind of emitters it uses. But they are very white and smooth and the thing runs for more than 40 hrs on it's three AAAs (NiMH), even longer if only one of its two LEDs is used. I also have the optional AC adapter. It's just a great complement to my flashlights because of the way the clip can also act as a base (its nice and stable with the weight of the 3 AAA's in there) and turns it into a mini table lamp. Also the lens on it is high quality and well designed for a reading light. It perfectly evenly lights up more than a two page area at the distance its supposed to be from the book page.

I'm really curious about what kind of LED's it uses, if anyone knows?
3448867912XF2-Black.jpg

• Bright and brighter light settings - option of using one or two of the Super LED lights
  • Xtra coverage
  • Xtra lightweight
  • Xtra strong book clip grips almost anything or use free standing as a task light
  • Special Lens spreads light evenly with no hot spots
  • Easily bends to compact position for storage
  • Bend arm to point in any direction at any time
  • SUPER LED as bright as six regular LEDs and never needs replacing
  • Runs on 3 AAA batteries (Not included) - (I use NiMH Eneloops which work great)
  • AC Adapter Available! (I use the AC adapter when I'm using it at home as a keyboard light. The AC adapter is nice and small too and can run on foreign voltage).
There is also an optional magnetic slide on base available for it which makes the clip/base even more stable (although it's already quite stable by itself), but the magnetic part enables it to attach to any metal suface just like a Safelite.

The flexibility of the gooseneck is really nice. It can easily be adjusted to put light exactly where you need it. The thing I want to stress is that the quality of the white light and the smooth floody beam pattern with absolutely zero artifacts that this little unit puts out is really excellent and perfect for reading.

Last edited:

clintb

Enlightened
Second vote for the Mighty Bright xtraflex 2. That sucker is bright with both LEDs burning. I use it on my Sony PRS-600 and it does an excellent job. Prior to that I tried my Zebralight H30 and while it did a good job of lighting the reader, it also lit everything else around me, including the wife while she slept.