Best high technology quality lights

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS has 325 models for sale, they are also thermal regulated, EMP proof, Bullet proof, Shock proof

Now you are getting carried away. VERY few things are bulletproof, and HDS lights are not among them. Ditto for shock proofing...even HDS doesn't make that claim. Using "resistant" rather than "proof" would be better.

I am surprised to learn they are thermally regulated...seems unlikely it would be necessary (with normal use) in a host of that size, running at pretty low current. Still, I guess it can't hurt.

Not trying to argue that HDS is anything other than quality...but let's keep to the facts, and not make exaggerated claims. HDS lights are definitely good enough to stand on their own merits, without embellishment.

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lights UI is definitely a personal preference, and I prefer ZebraLight's over the HDS clicky. Having direct access to both low and high from off is very handy. Easily switching between two different low, medium, and high outputs is a feature I use basically every time I use one.

The HDS' ability to be programmed to allow a press and hold from on to deliver max output is very useful. The rotary option seriously ups the flexibility, but the lack of an available clip when I bought mine made it a non-starter, so I got the clicky instead.

The Elzetta AVS heads sense the battery voltage and output either regulated 650 lumens for 6 volts or 900 regulated lumens for 9 volts. They're designed with proper thermal properties, so temperature regulation isn't necessary. The ability to easily swap between a spot optic and a flood optic, which still delivers a useful amount of throw, is quite useful. The design also allows a damaged optic to be replaced in a few seconds.

Oveready's heads (except DD mini-turbo heads) also adjust output depending on whether one or two cells are used.

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
In regards to EMP, HDS is the only manufacturer that actually TESTED for this. As far as it being a "ploy" I respectfully and completely disagree. HDS does not advertise this as a feature and Im relatively certain it is nowhere to be found on the web page. That said, you would be surprised at how many people are looking specifically for an EMP proof light. Henry only discusses this when he is specifically addressed about the topic. He has never touted it to my knowledge.

Right, but my understanding is that it is basically a non-issue. Pretty much any standard LED flashlight should do OK. This post says it pretty well.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right, but my understanding is that it is basically a non-issue. Pretty much any standard LED flashlight should do OK. This post says it pretty well.

Interesting reading.

Sounds like pretty much every LED flashlight should be immune to EMP already.

Personally, I consider EMP protection a gimmick. If I'm getting hit with an EMP it probably means World War III has started and I'm about to become a cloud of ionized plasma. I think whether my flashlight will survive an EMP pulse will be the last thing on my mind.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now you are getting carried away. VERY few things are bulletproof, and HDS lights are not among them. Ditto for shock proofing...even HDS doesn't make that claim. Using "resistant" rather than "proof" would be better.

HDS lights are definitely good enough to stand on their own merits, without embellishment.

110% Agreed:

Test started with 30Ft drops and ended after 2 hours of being thrown against a rock wall, because they got bored. I also had the pleasure of playing with 8+ year old light @ Shot Show, worked as well as the new light I purchased:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?p=3329753

At Henrys request, hogo shoots his lights just to see what happens:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...stems-EDC-14&p=3703948&viewfull=1#post3703948

Proof / Resistant, lets not split hairs. :shrug:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting reading.

Personally, I consider EMP protection a gimmick. If I'm getting hit with an EMP it probably means World War III has started and I'm about to become a cloud of ionized plasma. I think whether my flashlight will survive an EMP pulse will be the last thing on my mind.

Agreed, EMP last thing Im thinking is flashlight.... but solar flares.....?

In regards to HDS, it's everything but a gimmick. It is unmentioned and un advertised. (I do not believe that you intended to direct that @ HDS but just wanted to clarify.)

I have read that as well before, very interesting stuff. My point was his light is tested. That is all I mentioned. Like I said, above my head. :shrug:

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I submit that the difference is incredibly important...language is used to express ideas, and if you use the wrong language, people can get the wrong idea.

For a dramatic example: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...ing-friend-bulletproof-vest-article-1.2082302

Doc, I get it.

But 2 hours against a brick wall saying "proof" doesn't make me loose any sleep.

We are getting way out there. All points considered and I think OP has enough to go on.

Yet again it seems I have cracked the door to derail a thread without any intention of doing so, I wish to close it now if possible and reroute to the original

topic instead of x vs x. Im more than happy to continue via PM.

I recommend HDS for OP and will leave it at that.

braddy

Enlightened
Interesting reading.

Not in the military, in the 1980s our personal gear like radios were protected against EMP and of course larger things, like vehicles, something that not all of our allies would do because of the weight and expense. The military takes EMP seriously.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not in the military, in the 1980s our personal gear like radios were protected against EMP and of course larger things, like vehicles, something that not all of our allies would do because of the weight and expense. The military takes EMP seriously.

Yes, but from that linked post it sounds like just about EVERY LED flashlight we're talking about should already be immune to EMP. Henry tested his lights against EMP. That's great... but just because he tested it and it resisted EMP doesn't make it better than other lights. Consider the following:

(1) Just about every other LED light on the market can also withstand EMP already even without testing (due to short wiring and metal bodies), and
(2) The chances of a user of the light actually encountering an EMP strong enough to take out small electronics are infinitesimally low.

HDS lights are awesome. They're the gold standard in toughness when it comes to flashlights. But I think EMP resistance or lack thereof is a non-issue. I certainly wouldn't ever recommend anyone buy an HDS because it was tested for EMP. But I WOULD recommend HDS for someone who needed a durable light, because HDS tested it by dropping a sample 30' onto rocks and threw it against a concrete wall for an hour and it still worked... now THAT's toughness!

But back to the topic of this thread, does "toughness" equate with "high-tech"? In my mind... not really. HDS are really tough because extra care was taken to make them so. They have features like potted electronics and extra thick bodies. State-of-the art technology wasn't required to make them tough. In fact, you'd probably want to purposely use technology that's NOT state of the art. When you're building for reliability and durability, you want technology that has a proven track record ... not something that's bleeding edge that nobody else has tried before.

Does an extra thick body and lens and potted electronics make a light "high-tech"? ... not in my mind.

Does a light incorporating fancy electronic features no other manufacturer has used before such as adjustable tint and a touchscreen make it "high-tech"? ... yeah, I'd have to say so.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
To reduce confusion about whether the OR TorchLab Moddoolar lights are "high tech" or not, consider this.
The board is the same board used in the Lux-RC lights, which are some of the most expensive, exotic, and high tech lights out there anywhere.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Direct from the OR Moddolar product description:

Design:

Fully regulated output between 4.8 and 9.5 volts
Below 4.8v it drops out of regulation and continues running until about 3v
Cell count detection and monitoring
Output reduces to 10% at 3.4V (10% capacity remaining)
Battery protection cuts all output at 3.0V
Mode changes have a subtle transition effect (brief soft shifting)
Mode changes allow button presses as fast a 1/4 of a second
93% efficient driver with 2 lithium ion cells
Thermally-Enhanced Metal Core PCB
Integrated thermal safety protection at 65C (149F)
Integrated thermal overheating protection at 120C (248F)
Shock proof materials, components, and design
Suitable for use in weapon mounted lights
Multiple independent LEDs for more output than single LED designs (even at the same wattage)

Construction:

Hard anodized finish for superior thermal emissivity and durability
Shock and vibration tolerant materials and components
Gold plated copper contact surfaces
Silver plated berryllium copper spring
22 gauge mil-spec wire with 19 strand, silver-plated copper conductors, teflon insulated
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My comments:

Regarding size overall, and power for size, consider this:
In the two 18350 cell ZRS configuration, it is essentially just as small as an SC600(within a tenth of an inch), but has more than double the power output(est 2200 lumens OTF). In the same body, if more run time is desired, it can run off one 18650 at a lower power output that is still more than an SC600 on turbo, and the board automatically determines the cell count and adjusts itself accordingly, including battery protection voltages. Lego options on the bodies and tails add versatility of use that is not even available on some of these other so-called "high tech" lights.
It has flow-thru cooling in the head to augment the rest of the thermal management design, so it doesn't have to step down like all these other Chinese lights are doing. There is a vast difference between proper heat management(cooling), rather than just stepping down the output more and more to try to avoid overheating in a light that has poor cooling design.

Regarding the UI, it's preference. No UI is any better than any other, except for individual user preference.

Just to set the record straight.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lights UI is definitely a personal preference, and I prefer ZebraLight's over the HDS clicky.

Agreed, UI is as much as a preference as your favorite color. Mine is the HDS UI, you click the button, the light goes on, you click the button the light goes off.

;)

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
To reduce confusion about whether the OR TorchLab Moddoolar lights are "high tech" or not, consider this.
The board is the same board used in the Lux-RC lights, which are some of the most expensive, exotic, and high tech lights out there anywhere.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Direct from the OR Moddolar product description:

Design:

Fully regulated output between 4.8 and 9.5 volts
Below 4.8v it drops out of regulation and continues running until about 3v
Cell count detection and monitoring
Output reduces to 10% at 3.4V (10% capacity remaining)
Battery protection cuts all output at 3.0V
Mode changes have a subtle transition effect (brief soft shifting)
Mode changes allow button presses as fast a 1/4 of a second
93% efficient driver with 2 lithium ion cells
Thermally-Enhanced Metal Core PCB
Integrated thermal safety protection at 65C (149F)
Integrated thermal overheating protection at 120C (248F)
Suitable for use in weapon mounted lights
Multiple independent LEDs for more output than single LED designs (even at the same wattage)

Construction:

Hard anodized finish for superior thermal emissivity and durability
Shock and vibration tolerant materials and components
Gold plated copper contact surfaces
Silver plated berryllium copper spring
22 gauge mil-spec wire with 19 strand, silver-plated copper conductors, teflon insulated
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My comments:

Regarding size overall, and power for size, consider this:
In the two 18350 cell ZRS configuration, it is essentially just as small as an SC600(within a tenth of an inch), but has more than double the power output(est 2200 lumens OTF). In the same body, if more run time is desired, it can run off one 18650 at a lower power output that is still more than an SC600 on turbo, and the board automatically determines the cell count and adjusts itself accordingly, including battery protection voltages. Lego options on the bodies and tails add versatility of use that is not even available on some of these other so-called "high tech" lights.
It has flow-thru cooling in the head to augment the rest of the thermal management design, so it doesn't have to step down like all these other Chinese lights are doing. There is a vast difference between proper heat management(cooling), rather than just stepping down the output more and more to try to avoid overheating in a light that has poor cooling design.

Regarding the UI, it's preference. No UI is any better than any other, except for individual user preference.

Just to set the record straight.

And, all at the low low price of 5x a Zebralight with the availability of unobtanium(check their site 2000x a day for 2 years, give the owner a sexual favour, and you may get one if your really lucky lol). Sorry couldnt resist:crackup:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
And, all at the low low price of 5x a Zebralight with the availability of unobtanium(check their site 2000x a day for 2 years, give the owner a sexual favour, and you may get one if your really lucky lol). Sorry couldnt resist:crackup:

Bently > VW Beetle.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would consider Armytek to be one of the most technologically advanced, Im learning the programming on the Predator Pro V2.5 and man is it advanced, allowing for complete mode and output customization. They use the latest emitters and have a proprietary anodizing process, 10m impact cert and the highest water and dust protection rating available.

I'd be inclined to agree. In terms of features and programmability there are not many other manufacturers that can match Armytek for driver design currently. General build quality and output are also excellent but the driver design in particular makes them stand out.

The Pro interface for the Predator/Viking is extremely powerful. You can configure number of modes per line, adjust output of each of those modes, regulation pattern, enable/disable mode memory. It's great because you can easily configure a simple, single-mode only interface if that's what you want. Then you can repurpose the light for a different application where you want several modes. I like it too because even when you have several modes per line, the head changes the modes so even though it is an incredibly customizeable light you can still hand it to a newbie and let them operate it with only the forward clicky.

Last edited:

smooth2o

Newly Enlightened
Does a light incorporating fancy electronic features no other manufacturer has used before such as adjustable tint and a touchscreen make it "high-tech"? ... yeah, I'd have to say so.

That's the way I see it. Now HDS might be very rugged, but I'll have to see how the Chinese brands hold up to the abuse I would normally put a light through. I understand rugged and it's something I'll pay for. I used to work with a manager who would always throw his phone across the room (Motorola flip phone) when he was done with it or when he got a call that didn't go well or just when he say down at his desk. I wouldn't be interested in a product that was designed for that.

I also understand American made, and from what I can see, you're gonna really pay for that (Surefire, HDS). I'm not sure all of the extra costs are going into high tech on these brands. Does HDS even have a 18650 light? Does it have at least 3 utility modes? Also, apparently these are very popular, but Selfbuilt doesn't seem to have reviewed one. Why?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bently > VW Beetle.

O I know they are in different classes. I do think OR charges too much though. Plus, the whole law of diminishing returns applies here. Really, you dont get much more usable EDC features over an S3 Triple from Mountain Electronics at $67 or ZL SC62 at $85. They are badass looking lights though if you have the cash to waste. Myself, I would rather have 4-5 high quality lights from other brands for my money. For instance, you can get an Eagletac D25aaa Nichia 219, a D25C Nichia 219, a P25LC2 Diffuser, a MX25L3C(6 x Nichia 219's), and top quality Li-ions and diffusers for all of them for the price of a OR Moddoolar Wasp. I would much rather have these 4 lights and accesories then a Wasp myself. This combo, while just an example, would be far more functional/practical/redundant/cost effective imo.

The point is: there are very few people who would spend $400+ on a flashlight. Especially a tiny EDC one that is near impossible to purchase.

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
O I know they are in different classes. I do think OR charges too much though. Plus, the whole law of diminishing returns applies here. Really, you dont get much more usable EDC features over an S3 Triple from Mountain Electronics at $67 or ZL SC62 at $85. They are badass looking lights though if you have the cash to waste. Myself, I would rather have 4-5 high quality lights from other brands for my money. For instance, you can get an Eagletac D25aaa Nichia 219, a D25C Nichia 219, a P25LC2 Diffuser, a MX25L3C(6 x Nichia 219's), and top quality Li-ions and diffusers for all of them for the price of a OR Moddoolar Wasp. I would much rather have these 4 lights and accesories then a Wasp myself. This combo, while just an example, would be far more functional/practical/redundant/cost effective imo.

The point is: there are very few people who would spend $400+ on a flashlight. Especially a tiny EDC one that is near impossible to purchase.

I just posted the technical descriptions regarding the Moddoolar.

I did not attempt to get into the subject of what some people can, or cannot, afford to buy. Or who do not have the patience to wait for the release.
I have 3 of the previous versions myself, and I can assure you that I had no trouble buying them, so it is not impossible at all. It's like any other top quality limited production item. You have to be able to afford it, and you have to be there at the right time before everybody else buys them out.

Last edited:

Latest posts