Best LED Flashlight for a Bike? Helmet and Handlebar

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the Jet-III Pro ST that I have can use either the flat top or the button top 18650 cells. I'll be ordering a charger and two of the 18650's any day now.

I got my JetBeam at Bugout Gear. They have a 20% JetBeam special deal right now, though I'm sorry that I don't remember the code off hand, and they offer free shipping on orders over $50. With the CPF discount and free shipping, I paid $62 for the light.

As before I'd highly recommend you get a light that has a neutral white emitter; they give much better color rendition and more importantly better depth perception outdoors than the cool white ones do.

One way of mounting a light to a helmet is to use the hand strap that comes with the two cell Quarks from 4Sevens. I put one end on the light, thread the other through a couple of the vent holes, and then back out to mount on the other end of the light. Fold up a bandana and stuff it in between the light and the helmet and it keeps it from rattling and/or shifting around too much.

Can you use a flat top 2600mAh from AW 18650?

I know the Eagletacs have issues with those.

Where did you buy the jetbeam if you don't mind?

Last edited:

ryanandty

Newly Enlightened
Ah! Agreed--the H501 would not be enough--but we're talking about the new H51 which is a whole new ball of wax! Much more flashlight-like throw. Check out some of the threads on it if you haven't.

:thumbsup:

Will do!

Tremendo

Enlightened
I live in a large but tranquil residential area with 95 miles of paved trails, which between that and the roads is where we bike often late night in pitch black. On my bike I use a Quark Mini AA with 14500, normally on medium, I keep a spare normal AA always in my pack. It's also my preferred running light, as the mix of spill and spot are perfect for me and where we go. I've accidently put it on high and noticed 20 minutes later, it gets very hot but no LED problems nor failures. I keep a simple red blinker on the back of all our bikes.

I've bought about 8 of the velcro Two Fish mounts, my bike, my wife's and my 8 year old sons always have them on. Cheap and they do a great job. My wife prefers the Nitecore Defender Infinity or even the Fenix PD20, as they are easier for her with a simple push button if it gets dark while she's biking. NDI is 2 levels, set about 85% and 100%, she uses 85%. (Again spare battery always in pack.)

CPFBiology

Enlightened
Yes, the Jet-III Pro ST that I have can use either the flat top or the button top 18650 cells. I'll be ordering a charger and two of the 18650's any day now.

I got my JetBeam at Bugout Gear. They have a 20% JetBeam special deal right now, though I'm sorry that I don't remember the code off hand, and they offer free shipping on orders over $50. With the CPF discount and free shipping, I paid $62 for the light.

As before I'd highly recommend you get a light that has a neutral white emitter; they give much better color rendition and more importantly better depth perception outdoors than the cool white ones do.

One way of mounting a light to a helmet is to use the hand strap that comes with the two cell Quarks from 4Sevens. I put one end on the light, thread the other through a couple of the vent holes, and then back out to mount on the other end of the light. Fold up a bandana and stuff it in between the light and the helmet and it keeps it from rattling and/or shifting around too much.

Cool, thanks. Thanks for this, and for posting this information.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, thanks. Thanks for this, and for posting this information.

No problem.

Just FYI though, as much as I like my new Jet-III Pro, I've found it really is too heavy to put on my helmet. I definitely feel it pulling my helmet to one side even when I strap it down tight. It's a shame too, because the default settings are perfect for a bike light; it comes on at max (no having to click through a bunch of settings to get to the high beam), then a med/low setting (perfect for when you're offroad or don't need a full bore setting), then a warning strobe (perfect for rainy days).

I'm going to go back to putting my QAA2NW on my helmet and put the JB in my messenger bag as my "big gun" light for when I need it. I'm considering a small single cell light for my main helmet light now... Can't find a NiteCore D10 with a Q3 emitter to save my life, so I'm considering an EX10 instead. In fact I'm considering buying two because they're so small and light, and are RCR123 compatible so carrying spare cells is a non-issue (I typically carry a pair of L91s and/or CR123s in my messenger bag just in case).

You might also want to check out Deal Extreme, they have some bike lights by MagicShine that are damn bright and a very good deal. Another member in my astronomy club has one and has raved about it, so I'm strongly considering one myself. I think the emitters they use are more neutral in tint as well. The disadvantage is they use an external battery pack which will have to go on your bike frame somewhere...

Last edited:

knoth

Newly Enlightened
I have a helmet mounted Planet Bike Beamer 5 in strobe mode as I want the attention of motorists I encounter. I run this in tandem with a handlebar mounted Fenix LD25. The Fenix, in street lit big city residential routes I take, is mostly in 45 lumen mode. In pitch black trail ride situations I go with 85 lumens unless in heavy rain or fog then in 180 llumen. Being seen is of greater importance to me than illumination.
Excellent run times on both the Beamer and LD25 with rechargeable AA's.

Last edited:

Maxbelg

Enlightened
I have a twofish block on my handlebar in addition to the B&M LUMOTECH IQ bicycle light. In this twofish block I rotate between a Malkoff M91 in 6P host with A19 extender, M60W in MD2 host and most often a HDS Hi CRI clicky. They all work well but the HDS is easiest to pop into my pocket when I arrive at work. I used to use a blink mode in my HDS, but currently just have it at about 80%max.