Best light for Graduation Presents

Dadof6

Enlightened
I have looked at the Fenix E21 and the LD20. Both require two AA batterys. I'm looking for lights which only require one. Thanks for your input RedForest UK and yliu. I'm intersted in your ideas on single cell AA lights.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
ITP A2, Lumintop P1A, or Jetbeam BA10.
All are 1xAA with no disco modes.

Peak El Capitan HA #8 narrow beam are on sale at RMSK also. :twothumbs

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always found that Peak Eiger AAA's in solid brass (lug body) are very well received. Brass is a classy metal, the AAA form factor with lug means it'll go on a keychain, and there are lots of customization options for beam pattern and tint. The only problem is that Peak's (especially custom ones) take forever to be made and shipped.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you really dead set on a single cell light? Imho lots of people will not even remember to switch through modes on a light, so you want one that always comes on in the right mode whenever you push the button or twist it.

For twisties you are then basically stuck with single mode lights, I like the iTP a3 eos std edition, but that is definately 'keychain' category.

This is why I moved towards the E21, it's a great value budget light with a twisty head to allow for 2 easy to access modes.

If you want to stick with single cells then I would recommend checking out shiningbeam's range of upgraded Romisen RC-G2s, they're really nice well built lights for their price and should last a long time. Simple to use, and easy to appreciate.

The problem is that with these single cell lights running on AAs is that if you give them to someone they will eventually use alkaline batteries in it. While they may think duracell means top quality and the best they can get, they will end up with very poor diminishing output as the cell is pushed hard by the relatively inefficient boost circuits used in most budget lights.

Again, this leads me to recommend 2 cell lights, as the higher voltage makes it easier on the circuit and much better if they ever end up putting alkaline cells in it. Out of these, the E21 is the best of the bunch for efficiency, ruggedness and value.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just noticed the recommendation of the Jetbeam BA10 above. While to me the BA20 seems a better idea due to the above reasons, the BA10 is a good compromise and covers the quality, relatively budget and easy to operate bases.

Joe Hone

Newly Enlightened
For what it's worth, the light I keep seeing after gifting it is the iTP A2 EOS. My 17 year old daughter uses hers all the time as a reading light in the car, and my teenage nieces took theirs to the South Pacific last summer on a trip into the mountains and reported the lights were the hit of the trip. It is a nice light for the money.

Dadof6

Enlightened
I just purchased 5 Maratac stainless steel AA's. I don't know if that will do it for all of the graduates but CountyCom had them on sale so I purchased the ones they had left. I'm still thinking about a few more and really appreaciate the input so far. I really like the look of the iTPs but couldn't resist the sale on the Maratac Stainless AA's.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
ITPs and Maratacs seem to be made by the same manufacturer and are very similar. I prefer the Maratac versions because the knurling is nicer and they can tail stand easily (yes, I know, if you can get a perfectly level surface and are patient you can sometimes tail stand an ITP EOS light, but most of the time you can't).

Latest posts