Best light for self defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well bear was the more extreme example... There are no large bears like that where I live. I was thinking more along the lines of a smaller animal, maybe a mean dog.

Oznog

Enlightened
deerpic1.jpg

The bright light IS an effective defense- provided, of course, you're being attacked by a rogue deer.

More effective than a Taser. It's like a freeze ray.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well bear was the more extreme example... There are no large bears like that where I live. I was thinking more along the lines of a smaller animal, maybe a mean dog.
I think a mean pit bull would enjoy a bright light it would most likely trigger an attack,but even better for him he will be able to see exactly where to clamp those vise like jaws at the end of that annoying bright light,your hand :D

Remember also some fighting breeds of dog enjoy thinking and working out the shortest way to get hold of you should you put something in its path.
That's what I meant when I said a pit bull would enjoy your bright light he will find it a challenge,but he will work around it to get what he wants.

Last edited:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok then, what about very nasty squirrels or a rapid groundhog? I see that all I can expect is a portable deer-in-the-headlights effect.

So basically flashlights have very little self defense potential, other than intimidation; or startling someone (like a flashbang/ stun grenade)...

Its still better than nothing!

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you ever had someone else nail you in the eyes with 200 lumens at night when you weren't expecting it? If not, try it sometime, there's no better way to know how it affects someone than to experience it yourself.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ok then, what about very nasty squirrels or a rapid groundhog? I see that all I can expect is a portable deer-in-the-headlights effect.

Sarcasm?.... Or is this for real?

So basically flashlights have very little self-defense potential, other than intimidation; or startling someone (like a flashbang/ stun grenade)...

That's a "no" to both observations.... When it comes to civilian-carry of self-defense items, the two best ones are a metal pen and metal light. Hold either one in a hammer-fist, and both become effective for striking an attacker. Plus, they are just a pen and a light. Even in the most restrictive, backwards, nations on the planet; they are just everyday items that anyone might carry and use. You can use a light for S.D., but it's a p*ss poor idea to rely on the beam.

If you have a flashbang, you'll definitely startle someone far more than hitting them in the eyes with a beam of light.

If you're relying on the flashlight's beam.... then you are indeed relying on nothing effective for self-defense.

Last edited:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
The type light that can incapacitate an attacker remotely without contact
does exist, yet not for the public.

Seeing a USA DeptHomelandSecurity official hold a multi LED light with this special strobe feature was tough because the guy holding the light was not a flashaholic. (you know you can tell). This light causes seizures and nausea. the ramifications of this technology are significant.

Ever wonder about another light based defense application that is not here yet or it's highly secret?????:confused:Remember STAR TREK phasers? and photon torpodeos? phaser or directed energy beam weapons do not require kinetic energy or trauma to cause mortality, no do they act by causing death by blood loss. Lazer light swords are not quite a reality yet either.

Self defense relying on a 2009 light (even by CPF standards) is not a good idea. :eek:

Yes, strobe can distract and possibly cause some temporary hesitation but that is only valuable if another means of attack or escape can be immediately utilized.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast

So basically flashlights have very little self defense potential, other than intimidation; or startling someone (like a flashbang/ stun grenade)...

Well I have experience with non-rabid racoons and stray housecats in my yard. I like to chase them out by stalking them like a cat would something else, sometimes I do it at night with a flashlight or two (glowing eyes ftw). While the act of being "stalked" by a rather large creature does seem to bug them, the lights themselves do nothing more than draw their attention, they'll stare directly at them and become alert to something in that direction. Never have they been disoriented or even looked particularly uncomfortable, and this has been with just about everything from a little keychain light to an M3 with HOLA.

yalskey

Enlightened
Wow, I'm surprised that I missed this thread up until now... this one is right up my alley. Christie and I actually covered this topic at the end of our Self-Defense Show Podcast episode 043. http://www.SelfDefenseShow.com

Here's the thing with ANY self-defense device. It must be used in conjunction with a larger, more comprehensive self-defense portfolio. You should have in place all the prerequisite items and factors before using a device... such as a strong sense of self-worth, sensitivity to violation, the will to live, good (read: NOT most martial arts) self-defense training, awareness, de-escalation skills, victim unattractiveness, etc. etc. etc.

Also, bringing in a device (flashlight, knife, hand spike thing, gun, pepper spray, whatever) into a violent engagement really complicates the situation both tactically and legally. What if the device fails, or is taken away from you and used against you? That picture of the Surefire light with the over emphasized spiky bezel that's posted earlier in this thread would look really great on a huge screen in the court room, when YOU are being made out to be the bad guy to the jury by some slick tongue lawyer.

I'm merely brushing the surface of this topic here, because I'm too lazy to type all there is to say out. :)

I agree with GreenLED. Take yourself a FAST Defense or Model Mugging class FIRST. And then consider carrying a device.

For me personally, I carry several devices on me everyday. The one's I make public are...
A metal fist pack (no side spikes)... I tell people and others that it's for breaking a window in a car in case I'm trapped in a crash.
A Storm Whistle... no ball, works under water, loudest whistle in the world, no moving parts... did I mention it was very loud and will attract help / attention to a situation?
A Dereelight CL1H v4 R2 with a 1S driver

So long as all the prerequisites are met, and you understand the pros and cons of carrying a flashlight, it CAN be a useful dissuasion tool for semi-committed interviews (criminal dry run to test your boundaries).

If someone is approaching you in a parking lot (to be overly cliche), and they ask for the time, or bus fare to the hospital, or whatever... you could ask them to stop their approach. If they do, ask them, how can I help you... or whatever. (stop them as far away as you can) If they don't stop, they are obviously NOT respectful of you space / safety / wishes, so I would generally recommend this as the time it would be good to use your flashlight. Especially at night, if you put that beam in someone's eyes from a good distance (21 to 40+ feet) away, they will either stop and glare away, thus ending their approach, or they will have to charge in blindly (literally)... in which case you are at a physical tactical advantage. You have a good distance to respond, and they are charging in with their eyes closed or blinded.

Of course I recognize that this looks good on paper but in a real situation, someone may as well just pull out a handgun in response to your bright light... in which case, run like heck!

Anyways, that's my basic thoughts. It's up to you what you do in any given situation, so don't take my advice as pure guaranteed truth. Use your own judgement, and hopefully you will never have to face a situation like this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.