Best Malkoff Setup for Emergency Bag???

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Why not try and use M61NLLL (4500K-5000K)???

You can still run in on 2xAA once you're out of CR123's...

This is what I run, in a G3, with 6 123 in a carrier. 3 sets of high energy, high stability cells, with the option to grab pairs of AA wherever - and an engine that will take a huge range of voltage and deliver insane runtime from all of them.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what I run, in a G3, with 6 123 in a carrier. 3 sets of high energy, high stability cells, with the option to grab pairs of AA wherever - and an engine that will take a huge range of voltage and deliver insane runtime from all of them.

Well, I ordered M61LL some time ago with this setup in mind but it ended up being too greenish for my taste... so I used M61WL instead and I'm very happy with it knowing in case of emergency I can pop in 2xAA and have about the same brightness but long runtime as light outputs slowly decrease... but it's emergency, you're happy with anything above 20 lumens... :)

BIG45-70

Enlightened
My setup is a little different then most for this purpose. I went with a 4D Maglite and a Malkoff XPG drop in, 8 hours of full output and days of lights on the taper with easy to find and cheap D alkalines.

BIG45-70

Enlightened
I forgot to mention as an AA solution I use a plain surefire E2L-AA with an E-Series twisty switch.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I've already posted, but why not get a MD2 host, hi/lo ring, and M61 in whatever tint you prefer? Then grab a Surefire SC1 spares carrier and you'll have gobs of runtime on low, with high when you need it.

ishmael

Newly Enlightened
Well, I ordered M61LL some time ago with this setup in mind but it ended up being too greenish for my taste... so I used M61WL instead and I'm very happy with it knowing in case of emergency I can pop in 2xAA and have about the same brightness but long runtime as light outputs slowly decrease... but it's emergency, you're happy with anything above 20 lumens... :)

The M61NLLL and LLLLL are MUCH warmer than the plain LLL. They are even warmer than the very white M61, M61L and all M31 versions I have. They are closer to incandescent than any LED I own.

Replicant

Newly Enlightened
There are some great ideas in this thread. I like the idea of a G3 with an M61LLL and the versatility it brings. Are G3s available anywhere, or is it something that would best be found in the marketplace?

Is there much performance difference with running a 2xCR123 spacer and 2 1xCR123 spacers?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some great ideas in this thread. I like the idea of a G3 with an M61LLL and the versatility it brings. Are G3s available anywhere, or is it something that would best be found in the marketplace?

Is there much performance difference with running a 2xCR123 spacer and 2 1xCR123 spacers?

I haven't seen a G3 for sale in quite a while - your best bet will be CPFMP or ebay. As for the performance difference between a two cell or one cell spacer, there is none.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I have a G3 with 3x CR123s and an M61NLLLL I use around the house. I don't think I will be changing batteries in it for quite some time.

Replicant

Newly Enlightened
I haven't seen a G3 for sale in quite a while - your best bet will be CPFMP or ebay. As for the performance difference between a two cell or one cell spacer, there is none.
Thanks. I'll look into it. If it turns out to be too expensive, I'll probably go the MD3 route.

I didn't expect there to be a difference between the 1 cell and 2 cell spacers, but I thought I read here somewhere about the different resistances somehow affecting run time. I could be thinking about something else entirely, though.

I have a G3 with 3x CR123s and an M61NLLLL I use around the house. I don't think I will be changing batteries in it for quite some time.
Do you find the 30 or so lumens to be bright enough for most indoor tasks? I'm looking into the emergency bag setup, so I'd want it to do short distances outdoors as well. Since the M61NLLL is sold out, I might go for the LLLL.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I'll look into it. If it turns out to be too expensive, I'll probably go the MD3 route.

I didn't expect there to be a difference between the 1 cell and 2 cell spacers, but I thought I read here somewhere about the different resistances somehow affecting run time. I could be thinking about something else entirely, though.

Do you find the 30 or so lumens to be bright enough for most indoor tasks? I'm looking into the emergency bag setup, so I'd want it to do short distances outdoors as well. Since the M61NLLL is sold out, I might go for the LLLL.

A few months ago I asked the same question about resistance, and was told that while there was a difference, it is negligible to run time or performance. And by negligible, they meant almost zero measurable output/runtime difference.

I have a M61LLL in 219, and it is perfect for around the house. I'd say that if you were walking around outside and needed to light your way, it would do just fine. Ballparking it, I would say the LLL 219 effective range outdoors is probably 7-10 yards. I know the N throws slightly better since the LED works better w/ the reflector in the M61.

Jimmyboots

Enlightened
I wish Malkoff had a regular production M61NLLL. That way I can have family members "borrow" lights that didn't have rare or hard to find dropins.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I just wish he would set up a custom order page.Set up and order whatever led/beam profile/output/ and tint. Poor guy is busy enough but he could charge whatever he wants and we would still place orders for them.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps we could try for a NLLL or WLLL group buy? I would love a couple as well for the same reason. My M61NLLLL is one of my favorites but I hate putting use through it, because I'll probably never find another.

Or is that something Gene is willing to do via email? I wasn't under the impression that he did much custom work, but then again, I've never tried and I do know they are incredibly accommodating.

I am working on establishing a collection of high quality, bulletproof emergency lights and a LLL is perfect for a car light with 2 primaries. Might even sell off some of my customs to make sure I have plenty of areas covered, especially now that I know I need some M31s/ AA light options.

I am thinking that I want a G2 light, with an M61 LLL of some sort and 2x CR123s, and a G3 or MD3 for 2xAA in an M31LL. Plastic fantastic CR123 and a tough/ easily sourced AA option, easily forgotten about for a decade+ no problemo. Which is probably 9 years past how often I'll refresh the cells.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there really enough difference in runtime to justify a NLLL when the NLL is currently available?

--flatline

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Is there really enough difference in runtime to justify a NLLL when the NLL is currently available?

--flatline

I can only speak for me and for me the answer to that is no, but others want it. I do buy (72) SF123A cells at a time, and do not mind carrying them in a pack or on my person so that might make a difference.

The M61LL is only 80 lumens for 10 hours on 2 cells. I really don't have too much use for less light than that even in a long term grid down situation. If the grid is down that long flashlights will be close to the bottom of any ones issues in the USA.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know that it's terribly significant, and I can't find any quoted runtimes on the same cell for any M61LL vs LLL. However, the M31LLL sees about 10hrs of runtime, vs just under 2 for the M31LL. I wonder if it scales as such? Regardless, in this mindset I am of the opinion that: one- any more runtime is a bonus, and two- the 25-40 lumen mark is right about perfect for most uses especially in the total dark or up close.

poop maybe I should buy another LLL.......